Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on my system specks below which version of linux will work the best on my system. I have decided to give linux a two month try and would like for it to just work so I can get right down to really using it. I plane to dual boot at first off my main drive. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I would highly recommend LinuxMint. It's one of the cleanest, easy-going distro's I have used so far. I haven't had any problems with it and I have been able to get stuff done just as easily as if I was using Windows.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
a third recommendation for Mint...

just, you'd be wanting to install the supported edition - Linux Mint 5. Mint 6 is still in RC stage so Mint 5 will do well for you, ad you can upgrade easily to Mint 6 when it becomes official. follow the link given above, or the link in my sig to get to the distro, post here or PM me if you have any questions, and enjoy

• Rep+
Reactions: Bloodfire

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys very much. I will be downloading mint today and spending as much time as I can using it over the next 60 days. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. Does any one know if there is away to get TheSims2 to work with linux?
It is by far my favorite game. I have already preorderd the Sims3.

2. I will be doing a lot of At-Home work for my job for the rest of this year (I keep the books) and I was wonderng if there is a way to get Quick Books to work with linux.

Oh and is there a linux version of the [email protected] program I stared doing this about a week ago haven't made it to the top 1000 list yet but I will.

If all or some of these programs will work with linux I will spend even more time using it.

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quickbooks will work in Wine, but it is not going to be as pretty.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys have been very helpful. I have been looking at the wine database and I noticed that Visual Studio 2003 dosen't work either is there anything similar to this for linux?

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmaximus
View Post

Thank you guys very much. I will be downloading mint today and spending as much time as I can using it over the next 60 days. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. Does any one know if there is away to get TheSims2 to work with linux?
It is by far my favorite game. I have already preorderd the Sims3.

2. I will be doing a lot of At-Home work for my job for the rest of this year (I keep the books) and I was wonderng if there is a way to get Quick Books to work with linux.

Oh and is there a linux version of the [email protected] program I stared doing this about a week ago haven't made it to the top 1000 list yet but I will.

If all or some of these programs will work with linux I will spend even more time using it.

1. sorry mate, the Sms 2 wouldn't work...

2. You can use Crossover Linux to run it, or WINE, which is free. looking at it, you should be able to run it. if not, you can try out Compiere, which is an open source alternative to Qick Books.

3. yes.

Quote:

Linux SMP - even more efficient than Windows SMP, the current top producer, can be run on systems that support virtualization technology through VMWare (for more info, see bdatillo's SMP Guide for Linux SMP through VMWare).

(Source)

Go here for the client.

note you could use VirtualBox to emulate a copy of XP and then run the apps you need to from with XP within Linux. though the Sims 2 wouldn't work if you do that - you'd have to be using Windows to virtualise Linux like i am doing atm. info on how to do so is located in error10's sig.

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You guys have been very helpful. I have been looking at the wine database and I noticed that Visual Studio 2003 dosen't work either is there anything similar to this for linux?

I've used Mono Develop. It's very capable, but doesn't have all the features of Visual Studio.

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BiG O
View Post

I've used Mono Develop. It's very capable, but doesn't have all the features of Visual Studio.

The applications will still work under Windows, correct?

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman786
View Post

The applications will still work under Windows, correct?

Yes, the applications you CREATE in the program will still work in Windows, since the language is platform independent.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
I dunno, I would probably use VMware or VirtualBox to run Visual Studio, since you want to know if your programs will run under Windows, you have to actually build and test them in Windows! Now if you're building Windows programs that you want to run in WINE as well as Windows, then this makes a lot of sense to run Visual Studio in WINE.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see that guild wars works with wine very well and I have been wanting to get this game for some time.

Hey I have an old laptop (gateway brand from 1998 came with win98se on it. It runs very slow cause it has xp on it now and max ram 96mb 4gb hard drive with dvd rom) is there a version of linux that would run well on this it would be great to use for experimental purposes and I could play movies and music on it while I am using my desktop for other things or.... well I don't know what all I could do with it until I play around with it. Would mint run on it.

I am getting excited about this I hope I don't get disappointed I am installing mint tonight on my desktop but if it would run on the old laptop that would be cool to.

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I see that guild wars works with wine very well and I have been wanting to get this game for some time.

Hey I have an old laptop (gateway brand from 1998 came with win98se on it. It runs very slow cause it has xp on it now and max ram 96mb 4gb hard drive with dvd rom) is there a version of linux that would run well on this it would be great to use for experimental purposes and I could play movies and music on it while I am using my desktop for other things or.... well I don't know what all I could do with it until I play around with it. Would mint run on it.

I am getting excited about this I hope I don't get disappointed I am installing mint tonight on my desktop but if it would run on the old laptop that would be cool to.

4GB is very small for really any install. I would suggest something using the xfce window manager though, as it's quite lightweight. Give Xubuntu a try, as I think it's minimum for disk space is like 1.5 GB or something.

Another thing to checkout is DSL: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ or Slackware. You'll run into problems though, as both of these may be a little advance for you if you've never used linux before.

Xubuntu is probably where you should start.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Linux would probably run on that old laptop but I bet it would be sloooooooooow. If you stick more RAM in it you might find it acceptable. (Like maybe 256MB or as much as you can possibly go.)

Personally I use old laptops like that as file servers.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you hook up external hard drives? And what OS would work good for doing this? Interesting thoughts here.

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmaximus View Post
Do you hook up external hard drives? And what OS would work good for doing this? Interesting thoughts here.
I assume you're talking about a file server? You could use external drives on it, yes. And any of the above linux distros would work just fine as a file server. It won't matter if it doesn't have much RAM, because it doesnt have to run very fast to be a file server.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was just wondering. I know that XP only supports upto 3GB of memory can linux utilze more? Also does it support dual channel?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts