Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, the goal (along with missing parts I need feedback on...)
- A gaming system/email/"main" computer
+ NEED VIDEO CARD (maybe?)
- A computer for work (building, compiling, etc.)
+ NEEDs PROC

Gaming System:
Tyan K8We, 2xItaly (270s), 4x512MB Kingstone HyperX (KRX3200K2), SB Audigy 4 Pro 8, 3U Antec case
NEEDED: Video card:
Now, the K8WE is a damn odd board. There is not much room between the SLI slots and when I add extra cooling to cards (like NV-5s), I can only fit a single card in the case. (I was having cooling issues even with great directional cooling from 4 fans with 2x6800GTs blowing air back into the case (because of a stupid dead spot behind power supply), and I needed to exhaust them.)
However, given its dual proc, I want to use it as my "main" machine. NOTE: The K8WE does not have much overclocking support in the BIOS.
Option One:
I was looking this:
http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Product...V-3D1-68GT.htm
Anyone tried one? Seen one? Talked to anyone that has one? Seems to pretty much stomp anything except dual 7800gtx's in all the benchmarks I looked around at.
Thoughts?
(I have never been much of a Gigabyte fan, but can overlook that to meet my needs of using a single video card.)
Option Two:
Use a single 7800gtx .. ?
Option Three:
Screw it, use dual system as my work computer, drop some crap video cards in it and use a single proc (move sound, etc over to it) with my existing 6800GTs in SLI instead? (See work system below..)

Work System
A8N SLI Dlx, 2GB DDR400 Corsair, 4x Seagate Barracudas, in a Lian Li case.
NEEDED: Processor:
FX55? 57? Price difference worth it?
If using it for gaming instead, probably 57?
Should this be build up for gaming instead?

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
First of all please do not have your Thread say "HELP!"

Second of all, Im not sure what you are looking for... It seems to me you are writing I am already know about your poblem. Can we start back a step 1?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Asus A8N Premium- hopefully in the next mounth or so
7800GTX 512mb- got it for christmas
AMD Athlon FX-57- by the time i can get it, it wont be worth it somthing better will be out
x2 1GB Ram - after everything else

thats what im trying for right now i have

Asus A8N Deluxe
7800GTX 512mb
AMD Athlon FX-53
x2 512mb Ram

the funny part is the system specs that i want are going to be obsolete in about 4 months heck there obsolete right now! LOL

but i would get the premium before the deluxe dont get me wroung the deluxe is great but the premium is alot nicer, when you go SLI it supporst pci-express 16 for both cards where as the deluxe breaks it down into x8,x8 also if you want to switch from duel to single on the deluxe you have to open it up and switch around the card on the mobo in the premium you dont have to do that, and the coolest thing is that the chipset heat sink is connected to the main heat sink so no little fan that goes dead.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a gaming system, which way would you go? A dual proc Opt system with that odd Gygabyte video card ...
Or use it as a file server/build machine and just go single proc but dual 6800Gts?

Edit:
And I can't seem to edit titles

I am basically down to the end of my purse strings for my recent computer builds, and just wonder if going for that Gygabyte card in a dual system would trump an fx57 with dual 6800gts?
(If I go with the dual proc as gaming system with the Gigabyte card, then I can downgrade the single proc machine a little to save money)
Either way, looking at about a grand. But this is the final grand, so once I choose, there ain't any going back until next bonus

Edit again:
I suppose if I went for the single proc and went for an fx55, I could afford to go for a SE board.
(I already have the Dlx board in my hands, so no extra costs...)

And if anyone can think of how to frame my question better, please say it.. Heh. I had a hard time trying to figure out how to proxy the question...

Gaming system as dual proc w/Gigabyte monster 6600 dual card
*or*
Gaming system as single proc fx55/57 w/dual 6800GTs
*or*
???

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
First of all, the Tyan K8WE is a workstation motherboard. Basically, you will be dropping a ton of money on a server which won't give you much of a boost in performance over an actual gaming system. Second of all, you do not need four friggin' CPU cores for gaming. All games right now are single-threaded, meaning one CPU core will be utilized. That makes your dual Opteron 270's a relatively measly Opteron 146 with an extra megabyte of L2 cache. Tremendous waste of money, IMO. I would just go with a DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert motherboard, whatever graphics card(s) you want since there is space between the two slots for massive cooling, and an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ since games using the Unreal 3 Engine (which utilizes dual-core procs, but still, 4 cores is overkill) will be coming out soon.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is real difference between x2 and fx?

Edit:
ANd to summarize current direction...

The Tyan board I got (along with procs) as a work machine (compiling, etc.).. But mid course, I thought, why not make it my main machine.

But from what was said here (so far), dropping whatever crap cards in the dual system and use it for work.

Get x2 (or fx) in the single proc board (maybe upgrade board) and use it for gaming (which was actually my original intent..)

Edit2:
And gonna be offline for a few while I jockey around hardware.. Once again

·
Registered
175 Posts
I read this thread got dizzy trying to understand where it is going and decided to post this response..Help is better offered when there is a clear understanding of the posters issues , needs,

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
fx is single core. x2 is dual core. Is that the only question you want answered? You wrote all that useless crap at the beginning and it made no sense at all. Ask a question already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts