Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/852034

Here the link guys, now this is what im looking at and its a good price for what it is.

The thing is do you think it will be able to handle Downstairs to upstairs with about 6m offset from it so bassically:

(Sorry about the paint jobby lol)
So bassically do you think this will work ok?
It will have a few notebooks and m8's PC's on evuntally but seems like it might work ok. looking for a bit of gaming but my second rig is bassically for Homewrok, msn and pron lol. until i get a gfx card for it.

All advice is appreciated, thanks, Ace

EDIT// Err also port forwarding etc, will this just happen natrually as in like windows firewall, can i set it up so it like my nomral Speedtouch Stingray modem. Everything works over wired LAN, i just want it to be a smooth trasnition.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It looks like you've got it figured out already. Hook it up and let us know if something isn't working. Let us know if it is even! Heh...

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it would be helpful of anyone had any knwoelged of this router etc, if anyone has experiences a setup and how is wirless gaming.

Thanks for your input TY Auchter

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
With the packetloos associated with speedbooster routers, i just think it's not worth it. I just wire my house and have an MIMO Pre-N router for visitors and friends.....more stable to have gigabit lan wired in the house anyway....just expensive for a switch....

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
I use a Linksys wireless router, but I have the Vonage version with 2 phone lines built in. It works really well and you would have excellent reception from a lot farther away than what you're requiring. You'll have no problems with reception at all as long as you don't get a crummy nic card. I bought a generic nic and returned it right away for a Linksys and am glad that I did. Once you set up your network, you'll forget it's wireless. Btw, port forwarding can be set the same way you've done it with your wired equipment. The only kink you might ever see is that once in awhile while a microwave is running, you might have connection problems if it's in the path, but nothing to worry about.

Edit: Just to add a note after reading the above post, I have zero problems with packet loss and i'm not only a floor away, but also a far greater distance than your setup.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ace of Spades

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys your help is most appreciated you really cleared up some things, and i dont have a microwave (something to do with my mother breaking them) so i should be ok.

Only thing is we have a cordless phone, but if thats interfering say bye bye phone.

Does the one im lookin at seem ok ?

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace of Spades

Cheers guys your help is most appreciated you really cleared up some things, and i dont have a microwave (something to do with my mother breaking them) so i should be ok.

Only thing is we have a cordless phone, but if thats interfering say bye bye phone.

Does the one im lookin at seem ok ?

It shouldn't. My phones are fine...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have a router similar to that one and irun my pc 3 laptops for the kids and nextdoor pc + laptop so iwould say should be no probs

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems with, my system consist of three routers, one repeater, and I have between 25 to 35 computers, on at any given time with no loss.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the product spec's, will probably be buying either tonight.

Quote:

LINKSYS WRT54GSUK WIRELESS ROUTER
  • DSL Connection for Cable Customers
  • G Broadband Router with Superbooster
  • Up to 35% faster than 802.11g standard
  • Protected by upto 128bit Data Encryption
  • With a Wireless G Access Point
  • Linksys WUSB54GS Wireless USB Adapter
  • Wireless Networking via USB2.0
  • No Tools Setup on any Desktop or Laptop
  • Backwards compatible with 802.11g+b

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/852034

Quote:

Features for this NETGEAR DGB111GT

- Netgear DG834GT and WG111T
- 108Mbps Super G Modem Router&USB Adaptr
- ADSL Connection for BT Phone Lines
- 10X Faster than the Standard 802.11b,
- 4X the Range the Standard 802.11b
- Include Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI)
- Include Denial of Service Security (DoS)
- Ultra-fast 10/100 switched LAN ports
- High level WPA-PSK encryption
- Easy Setup via Wizard Install Assistant

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/757871

·
Registered
604 Posts
The cordless phone will only interfere if it's at 2.4 GHz -- There are really cheap (and good!) phones that use 900 MHz and 5.4 GHz.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could you give me your recommendations on the two routers above, i can have either as my mum is gonna pay the extra £15 score lol.

So what one would you say i should get, thanks.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I would go for teh netgear .so easy to set up and very secure if you want it .I just let my neighbours use mine...The ASUS wan card came with asus mobo so i dont hink thell be any good to anyone

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My mate has an ASUS mobo, not sure what model though, lol.
Ok thanks for lookin anyway, Will hopefully order the Netgear tonight.

Any comments on usin PSP's on this etc?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts