Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys im new to overclock.net and im glad i joined i found alot of helpful information. Okay im building a new rig for the FIRST time. I just recently bought a:

Aspire X-plorere case by apevia (black)
Asus A8n deluxe motherboard
Kingwin 520w power supply ( on its way)

Now there are two things im confused on getting first is the cpu i was looking torwards the

AMD athalon x2 4600
or
AMD athalon x2 4800

I'm stuck on those two cpus and really dont know witch one to get... I love playing videos games but at the same time i like downloading music playing videos all that kind of stuff so if anyone could help me out finding witch cpu would be better that would be really appreciated..

Now the other thing im having problems with is choosing my memory i have the asus a8n mother board witch supports up to 4gb of memory but i dont feel like i don't need that much memory or prove me wrong if it is worth having the 4gb's
I was looking forward to buying from these companies

Corsair
G-skill
Patriot

But for the corsair i was looking at the corsais xms series wit the leds built in i thought that was a nice touch but should i buy 2gb stick or go with 4 512

Thanks for all your help i would look at everyones response every knowledge you guys have well help me alot thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Buy a 2x1GB DDR-500 kit, that will be enough for any computing you will be doing. Asus and G.Skill have some compatibilty issues just so you know. You might also want to look at getting a 4400+ instead of the 4600+ or 4800+ if you intend on overclocking. The 4400+ and the 4800+ both have 2x1MB of L2Cache so you want to look at those two models. The 4400+ and the 4800+ both will likely reach the same net frequency if you overclock and will cost less, so it would be my choice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
euphoricmix- thank you for the information i would deff consider getting some 2x1GB DDR-500 kit and also looking at the amd 4400 thanks alot

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Don't get 4x512 sticks as AMD has problems with its on die memory controller handling 4 sticks of ram and your performance will decrease noticeably.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tip malaziel

ttt

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
4400+ or if you can find a better deal on an Opty 170 which utilizes a 10x multiplyer and has the same cache that too would be a good choice.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

4400+ or if you can find a better deal on an Opty 170 which utilizes a 10x multiplyer and has the same cache that too would be a good choice.

I second that or an Opty 165 CCBBE off of ebay with listed stepping would also be nice...

Regarding G.Skill and the A8N-Sli mobo I have run 2xGB of G.Skill without incident so maybe its another mobo that has problems with G.Skill because the A8N-Sli doesnt and I also have had no issues with the A8N32-Sli Deluxe either...Just an FYI

Not sure about the A8N Deluxe

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
In addition to Sdumper...
Some have had to set the G.Skill defaults with the old RAM installed. It's rare but may be necessary.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
everyone thanks for all your help i think hearing from everyones perspective gave me good thoughts of what i should buy... you guys are helpful i will get pics once im done with the rig...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would go for the skt 939 x2 4600 over the 4800. You can prolly OC them to tabout the same speed, and I'm noticing the skt 939 x4800 on newegg is using the older Toledo core versus the x4600 which is Windsor core.

It seems that both the 4600 and 4800 sky 939 came in 3 different core version, Manchester, Toledo and Windsor. Whichever you get I would recommend making sure its the newest Windsor core.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay im looking at the opty 170 for socket 939 and im reading reviews for it but im wondering will this cpu do all my needs that i want to gaming/downlading/ school work i love music and i love multi tasking i was wondering if this cpu would do the thigns i want it to do

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Judge420- what do u mean by there using an older model on the 4800 so now im confused witch one to get the 4600 or the opty 170

·
Registered
230 Posts
You see how this one says 2.4Ghz Manchester. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103545, and this one says 2.6Ghz Toledo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103544. This is AMD's code name for the stepping/revision of that particualr cpu. Hm nevermind, I can't seem to find any windor core skt 939. Maybe thats only AM2, but I just looked at the AMD processor chart and it says they have the newest windsor core on skt 939 chips.

AMD CPU list

Edit- yah sorry my mistake, windsor is only AM2...You want one with a Toledo core, as the Manchester is the older version.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The 170 will do all you need very well!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the tips and help that amd chart really helped me... hopefuly i will get my cpu in a couple of weeks trying to raise some money so far i have 170 so couple more to go thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts