Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm having a really hard time trying to OC my RAM. It's not the fanciest kit on the market, I had this kit for quite a while and did a mild OC on it with pretty conservative voltages but I've been trying to go beyond and apparently hit a hard wall.

Going straight to the point, I have 2x16GB CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 which appears to be Micron 16Gbit Rev.B (According to the sticker and Thaiphoon), the XMP profile has pretty loose timings and a quite ok voltage (I'll attach below), keeping the primary and secondary timings I managed to get to 4000MHz without much effort (Didn't try going above it), then the issue became the FLCK which refuses to stay stable at 2000MHz, so I dialed back to 3800MCLK and stayed at 1900FLCK.

I tried to lower the CAS to one single digit but with no success, even with 1.45v VDIMM. I'm currently at CL17 GDM On, which results in CL18.
So I struggled to at least keep it at 4000MCLK with a 2000FLCK but also didn't succeed.

I came here to ask for advise or tips on how could I get tighter timings with this kit and/or keep the FLCK stable at 2000MHz?
Or at least know if those feats are even possible with such kit keeping a sane voltage.

Font Electric blue Screenshot Number
Font Electric blue Screenshot Number Slope
Font Screenshot Technology Parallel Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
Ryzen 7 3800xt on MSI Meg Ace x570. RTX 2080 Ti K|NGP|N for when I'm feeling insecure and small.
3 Posts
Your memory config likely has nothing to do with your issues in stabilizing 2000mhz FCLK, you can blame the CPU for that. Micron 16Gb rev B (assuming Thaiphoon isn’t entirely lying — though I do doubt it’s actually D9XPF chips) shouldn’t have an issue with high frequency on AMD platform. In terms of timings, all the rev B I’ve had (though it’s mostly been Crucial kits) will run comparable tCL to “good” Samsung B die kits, so if you’re unable to run lower than 3800 CL18 at 1.45VDIMM, it sounds like it’s a terribly ****ty kit, or something else is standing in the way. Even in the “tightened” pic at slightly higher than XMP voltage, nothing looks minimized for M16B, so it’s hard to tell what you’ve actually done.

edit: the only changeable timings difference I see are tCWL from 16 to 14, tRFC to a value that isn’t near min, and RRDS/L from 7/10 to 8/11…

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your memory config likely has nothing to do with your issues in stabilizing 2000mhz FCLK, you can blame the CPU for that.
I'm aware, I mentioned the FCLK because I also couldn't make it stable at 2000 so I'm also asking for help on that part. Which would suffice me for the moment if I ran the MCLK at 4000MHz CL18.

it sounds like it’s a terribly ****ty kit, or something else is standing in the way.
Considering it's a "cheapo" kit I do suppose it's indeed doodoo, but I really didn't expect it to be THAT bad before knowing I couldn't even lower the CAS by a single digit. If there's really something in the way I would really like to know what it could be.

so it’s hard to tell what you’ve actually done.
Since I couldn't lower the CAS I opted to just boost up a bit the MCLK, do you have any timing advise in mind I could try with this kit? And also judging by that XMP's tRFC I don't have much hope I will be able to extract anything "extraordinary" out of it, at 3800MCLK I managed a tRFC of 900 because 880 had an error so that even lowered my expectations.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Have you considered boosting the SoC voltage? Gotta test up to 1.15-1.20V sometimes.
Also, Micron B-die loves voltage, so I don't see why "1.45V" is considered "sane."

Don't hesitate to test up to 1.60V VDIMM with some fans. It'll last forever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you considered boosting the SoC voltage? Gotta test up to 1.15-1.20V sometimes.
Also, Micron B-die loves voltage, so I don't see why "1.45V" is considered "sane."

Don't hesitate to test up to 1.60V VDIMM with some fans. It'll last forever.
Considering your signature, I might have almost the same kit as you (Except mine's 32GB), 1.6v it's a bit out of my "zone of comfort" I'll give 1.5v a try. And about the SoC I have tried up to ~1.13v with no success, I'll also check 1.15v or a little above.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Considering your signature, I might have almost the same kit as you (Except mine's 32GB), 1.6v it's a bit out of my "zone of comfort" I'll give 1.5v a try. And about the SoC I have tried up to ~1.13v with no success, I'll also check 1.15v or a little above.
If it makes you feel any better, I've been running 1.65v on some garbage MJR ram for 3 years(?) now. Still runs fine. Probably not recommended but I've always run my ddr4 at 1.5v or above. Either I'm lucky or the perceived damage is overestimated.

Also, thaiphoon can mislabel some micron chips. Given your timings, doesn't look like micron b-die to me. Odd that it says it on the sticker. Looks more like AFR or something similar. Even CJR or DJR should hit 3600c16 no problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it makes you feel any better, I've been running 1.65v on some garbage MJR ram for 3 years(?) now. Still runs fine. Probably not recommended but I've always run my ddr4 at 1.5v or above. Either I'm lucky or the perceived damage is overestimated.

Also, thaiphoon can mislabel some micron chips. Given your timings, doesn't look like micron b-die to me. Odd that it says it on the sticker. Looks more like AFR or something similar. Even CJR or DJR should hit 3600c16 no problem
On the RAM sticker is stated as "ver 3.44" which afaik should be Rev.B, correct me if I'm wrong.
If that's the case I got real unlucky and got a super trash bin.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
vSOC is safe up to 1.25v and you can push a but higher up to 1.3v pretty well with enough cooling.

For 2000Mhz fclk/uclk VDDP and VDDG's become important as well. Try 0.95 VDDP, 1.00 CCD and 1.075 IOD with 1.20 vSOC.

Then go for 4000 16-20-20 primaries at like, 1.50-1.55v DRAM. Should be fine there.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
1.50-1.55V is XMP on a lot of Micron kits. And I've run 1.60V for years now.
If it's Micron B-die, it's safe. Just make sure you add a dedicated fan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
vSOC is safe up to 1.25v and you can push a but higher up to 1.3v pretty well with enough cooling.

For 2000Mhz fclk/uclk VDDP and VDDG's become important as well. Try 0.95 VDDP, 1.00 CCD and 1.075 IOD with 1.20 vSOC.

Then go for 4000 16-20-20 primaries at like, 1.50-1.55v DRAM. Should be fine there.
I'm out of luck... didn't work, same behavior. One cas below and it wouldn't post, keeping the same CAS and boosting VDDP, VDDG and vSoC to maintain 2000FLCK also didn't work, still having "CPU Bus/Interconnect Errors".

1.5v VDIMM 3800 CL16 (GDM On) posted, but I don't have an active cooling directed to the ram for that kind of voltage. And the heatsink is pretty basic, so I'm already guessing it will overheat pretty fast, even more when I'm constantly encoding stuff that can use almost all the ram.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I'm out of luck... didn't work, same behavior. One cas below and it wouldn't post, keeping the same CAS and boosting VDDP, VDDG and vSoC to maintain 2000FLCK also didn't work, still having "CPU Bus/Interconnect Errors".

1.5v VDIMM 3800 CL16 (GDM On) posted, but I don't have an active cooling directed to the ram for that kind of voltage. And the heatsink is pretty basic, so I'm already guessing it will overheat pretty fast, even more when I'm constantly encoding stuff that can use almost all the ram.
2000 fclk is not something most 5900X's will actually run stable. I had 2 and neither could do it. One did 1900 max the other 1933. 3800/1900 is fine frequency wise, it's just weird the timings don't wanna go anywhere. I am by no means a Micron Rev B expert, so maybe one of the other members can add something to this part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2000 fclk is not something most 5900X's will actually run stable.
I wasn't sure if I would be able to reach it either, but It's a bit weird to me considering how low the voltages are to be able to achieve 1900FLCK. I thought bumping it a bit would reach 2000, guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello,
I'm having a really hard time trying to OC my RAM. It's not the fanciest kit on the market, I had this kit for quite a while and did a mild OC on it with pretty conservative voltages but I've been trying to go beyond and apparently hit a hard wall.

Going straight to the point, I have 2x16GB CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 which appears to be Micron 16Gbit Rev.B (According to the sticker and Thaiphoon), the XMP profile has pretty loose timings and a quite ok voltage (I'll attach below), keeping the primary and secondary timings I managed to get to 4000MHz without much effort (Didn't try going above it), then the issue became the FLCK which refuses to stay stable at 2000MHz, so I dialed back to 3800MCLK and stayed at 1900FLCK.

I tried to lower the CAS to one single digit but with no success, even with 1.45v VDIMM. I'm currently at CL17 GDM On, which results in CL18.
So I struggled to at least keep it at 4000MCLK with a 2000FLCK but also didn't succeed.

I came here to ask for advise or tips on how could I get tighter timings with this kit and/or keep the FLCK stable at 2000MHz?
Or at least know if those feats are even possible with such kit keeping a sane voltage.

View attachment 2569211 View attachment 2569212 View attachment 2569213
Hello,

View attachment 2569211 View attachment 2569212 View attachment 2569213
refer to
Light Product Black Font Screenshot
Font Screenshot Software Technology Electronic device

Computer Product Black Font Software

1 - 14 of 14 Posts