Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, I recently moved to canada and wanted to get my PC up and runfxning. I use a custom water cooling loop and forgot some hoses and ....well everything back in the states :/

I've looked and looked and getting this stuff in Canada is a joke to say the least, so I said screw it for now and looked at air coolers. The two coolers I looked at are the NH D15, Enermax T50 A.

I'd love the D15 but you're looking at about 3 pounds hanging off a board, no thanks. So the T50A seems a decent fit , but what i need to know is does anyone have experience with this cooler and does it perform as , well the one whole review I could find stated is around 1-2 c behind the D15?

If anyone can confirm this that would be great :) The other reason I'm looking at this cooler is , and if I'm remembering right ? There are not many coolers that fit the old Asrock 990FX pro, yeah the original lol Other coolers that anyone knows fit or perform well would be nice as well , but I don't want to spend more than 100, and yes ....canadians get shafted on prices , especially Quebecer's thanks to aggressive government taxing . :( boooo

·
Senior OCN Member
39,907 Posts
There is no reason to worry about the weight of the NH-D15 as the mounting bracket is way overbuilt so any risk of damage to your motherboard is pretty much zero
About the only way to damage anything is mucking up the installation of the cooler which you have to be drunk to do

Unless you move your PC around a lot there is no reason not to get a NH-D15
I have an NH-D15 and i had the older NH-D14 before and i have never had a problem

Heavy weight coolers doing damage to motherboards are pretty much a myth
If you still dont want a NH-D15 Noctua has two smaller coolers called NH-U14S and NH-U12S

Edit: by the way my experience with Enermax coolers have not been very postive as the mounting bracket sucks and is not very easy to figure out

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply , but do you know if the bracket they give you will work with a AM3 board?
I contacted Noctua and they stated to use original mount ? That seems very odd for such a heavy peace when the original wasn't designed for such a cooler .

·
Senior OCN Member
39,907 Posts
See my last post if you have not seen the edit i made
Just dug up my Noctua NH-D15S box to check and sure enough it has an AMD mounting kit which works with AM3

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much ! I am very confused as to why they recommend the old mounting hardware then ? Very odd actually, for a company that's known for it's support ,and pretty much only does one thing lol

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,223 Posts
Thank you very much ! I am very confused as to why they recommend the old mounting hardware then ? Very odd actually, for a company that's known for it's support ,and pretty much only does one thing lol
A lot of coolers use the stock AM3 backplate. They are more rigid than just about ant backplate that comes with a cooler, so it is senseless to change it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of coolers use the stock AM3 backplate. They are more rigid than just about ant backplate that comes with a cooler, so it is senseless to change it.
I couldn't say?, it's been probably 15-16 years since I used an air cooler? The last air cooler I used was a solid copper Thermaltake that sounded like a jet, cooled good for the day though . That was before they put tops on cpu's , and honestly, i don't remember the stupid reason they put them on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts