Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new mob and am getting the following message when booting up "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Is this normal? What do I do next? The manual doesnt say anything about this.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,339 Posts
Also once set make sure to hit your keyboard when it prompts you to boot from cd.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried that and set the 1st boot device to the hard drive... but still getting the same error message....

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
So your HDDs are bootable? Maybe you need to make sure your array is correct and that you have the right drive selected in the bios. I have an IDE I boot from (for now) and my SATA is the storage so I have to set it up like that in the bios but you should not have to change anything since all you drives function as 1. hmmmm. Meditate on this I will.

Es

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, just a note: When I hit F4 when loading it goes to the raid utility and it says no device found? Does that mean its not recognizing my hard drives? Or do I need to install the raid utility that comes on the disk?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
If this is a new and different mb then you will probably have to reinstall windows. It has no raid drivers/controller until you install them during the windows install.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Do you have the drives plugged into the right SATA ports in the right order? Are the disks bootable? Did you have them on your last mobo and was your last mobo Asus? If you did and it was not you might have to run it again. If the disks are not bootable (Windows installed and RAID utility run) you will need to run it then install Windows.

Es

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the drives where hooked up to my Abit IC7-MAX3 and bootable with the raid drives installed....etc...

So I have to reinstall windows?

Does it matter which drive I hook up to Sata1 and Sata2 on the mob? Just so you know I swaped then around and no change...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Here is what I think is going on. You have a controller issue. The controller on the Abit is not the same as the Asus so there fore the drives are not being reconized. You will need to find a way to get that resolved before you have joy. That may be complete reinstall of Windows. I am preparing for that reinstall now because I will be going RAID when the new mobo and drive arrive. Hopefully someone who has delt with this will answer and let you know for sure what you need to do. Hope I have not steered you wrong on this.

Es

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Do a full format/reload
Sata 3&4 for the nForce connections.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

Do a full format/reload
Sata 3&4 for the nForce connections.

Thanks Sporadic and Duke for the help!

One question, upon reformatting and installing windows.. what raid driver should I install? I see there is a Nvidia raid driver and also a Silicon Image raid driver on the mob cd.

Also, looks like I have to make flopppy driver disk to use? Cuz when I try to reformat and load windows, it says if you have a raid driver to install hit F6. I did this and it wants to load it, but only from drive A (my floppy). Is there not way to do it from Cd?

Thanks to both of you!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KANJIBANKERS

Thanks Sporadic and Duke for the help!

One question, upon reformatting and installing windows.. what raid driver should I install? I see there is a Nvidia raid driver and also a Silicon Image raid driver on the mob cd.

Also, looks like I have to make flopppy driver disk to use? Cuz when I try to reformat and load windows, it says if you have a raid driver to install hit F6. I did this and it wants to load it, but only from drive A (my floppy). Is there not way to do it from Cd?

Thanks to both of you!

So you are going to reformat the whole array? will you be losing alot of data then, or are you backed up?
Might worth trying a repair with the windows cd, just make sure when it asks for 3rd party drivers you push F6 for it and use the new drivers for controller on your asus board. I'd use the Silicon Image controller.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, good idea. I will try that first... so just install the drivers for the raid by pressing F6 then when you get to the menu do a repair?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KANJIBANKERS

Oh, good idea. I will try that first... so just install the drivers for the raid by pressing F6 then when you get to the menu do a repair?

Yes. When you come to the main menu, don't press r for repair, as that will take you to the repair console. You want to press enter to install windows, press F8, i think for their license agreement, then it will ask where to install, and you can repair the existing windows istall that is shown on whatever partition.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I booted off the Asus cd to create a floppy for the raid driver for the windows repair. It give me the following options:

1. Make Sil3132 Raid 32bits driver disk
2. Make Sil3132 Sata 32bits driver disk
3. Make Sil3132 Raidd 64bits driver disk
4. Make Sil3132 Sata 64bits driver disk

I chose option #3.

Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Are you running 64bit Version of windows?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I take it back, i chose option #1. It wouldnt let me use the 64 bit... im guessing as I dont have 64 bit software?

Also, windows said the partitions that I had were both corrupted and a reinstall was necessary.... do I just install and after that is done restart and hit F4 to enter the raid utility to setup the raid?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I just installed the new divers (#2 above) and now when it restarts and I hit the F4 to go to the raid utility to link up the drives, it says "No devices detected. Utility disabled, press any key to continue". Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts