Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I'm new to building PC's but I am looking to learn. I am currently building a new system and I got the bloodrage (which is pretty to look at), but I cannot install windows on it. It either reboots while loading the CD or shows me a blue screen (0x7b error). I think it has something to do with the harddrive but I don't know what. I have a sata hdd that I've connected through the front sas_sata port using the sas cable and it shows me the hdd when I boot up the computer. However, when I am installing windows, it tells me that it detects no hdd. It's getting me pretty frustrated because I really want to use this board. I hope it's not a faulty board that I've gotten. For more information, the sata mode is set to IDE with legacy mode enabled and I am trying to install windows xp. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
You might need to run the install CD that came with the board. I am thinking the OS doesnt have the SAS drivers. So after inputing the install code, you get to a screen to upgrade or do a full install. Hit full install. Then on the next screen hit the "Advanced" options and select the option to, "Load Drivers". Hit this, and browse the CD. Look for the SAS drivers, and install them. You should then be able to install the propper drivers.

Note my board does not have a SAS controller, so I am not 100% if this is your problem. But to the best of my knowledge, this could be the reason the Install isnt detecting the OS.

And just to verify, does the HDD show up in the bios?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the hdd does show up in the bios. What do you mean by install code? Would the computer read the mobo driver cd without an os installed? Thanks for the reply btw!

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johntus
View Post

Yea, the hdd does show up in the bios. What do you mean by install code? Would the computer read the mobo driver cd without an os installed? Thanks for the reply btw!

I assumed you were installing Vista. After typing the Vista install code, you will then have to choose the HDD to install the OS on. So hit advanced and load the drivers.

As for your question about the CD drviers, you will need them to install a SAS controller (which your HDD is connected to) during the OS install. So with Vista, you can install the drivers from a USB or CD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh so you could do it from a cd or usb. I plan on getting windows 7 when it comes out, but in the mean time, I only own windows xp so I'm trying to install that.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It sounds more like you got confused as to the difference between SAS and SATA. I'm thinking you have no SAS anywhere there.
If this is true, all your bios settings sound right.
First thing i'd try is a different SATA port.
Unfortunately with XP you can't install HDD drivers before the OS, unlike Vista (that I know of).
Rebooting while installing actually sounds like a dirty or scratched XP disc. Happens to me all the time. Only solution there is to try cleaning it or get a new one somehow.

Edit: According to google and the resultant technet article, that error is caused by a bad HDD. In that case, you could try error checking it in another computer, and search for bad sectors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i ended up plugging the in the hdd through the sata port on the side of the mobo, however, when I did a force reset, the boot up time is very slow... do you have any idea why?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fixed my problem... it is as you guys said. I didn't have any sas controllers installed so I just switched over to the sata port with those bios settings and was able to install windows. Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts