Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6tTz3b

A friend of mine needs advice about this build. She wants to know if this is sufficient for her needs. What are your thoughts? Advice? If any other information is required, feel free to ask.

Things she'll be doing with this computer:
- 1920x1080P 50-60FPS
- Future Upgrading CPU/GPU/RAM
- High to Medium Graphics
- Multi-Tasking
- No Overclocking
- Gaming
- Single Streaming Computer
- Streaming
- Virtual Reality Games

Update to reflect some of the questions asked. Will update if more are needed.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,415 Posts
The PSU you picked is that cheap because its not all that good and you are better off with a Seasonic Foucs instead
Also why a Ryzen first gen CPU?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Kinda depends on what the standards are for those things. Almost any machine will do all those things.
The GPU will do ok at 1440p but there are a lot of games that could tank it down under 60fps.
Like I said, it really depends on what you're expecting it to do.
If your goals are 1080p/60+ yeah that's great, 1440p/60 would be pretty good in most games but I'm not really sure what sort of max framerate to expect out of the CPU. Streaming would be do-able but I'd want more cores if that's a priority.
VR...what exactly are we trying to run and how well?
The PSU is crap though.
The ram should be fine but I'd check the QVL, the 1000 series was pretty particular about ram speed.
The PSU you picked is that cheap because its not all that good and you are better off with a Seasonic Foucs instead
Also why a Ryzen first gen CPU?
It's cheap?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,415 Posts
Its $32 for that S12III so yes thats cheap
A semi modular Focus is more than twice the price but its modular and far better

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Are we really telling people that the 650W SeaSonic S12II is crap? You're not going to find a better PSU for $32 after a mail-in rebate. All of the other PSUs near that price really ARE crap. For what the build is and what the plans are with it, I really see no problem with this PSU.

Wintry Paradise:

• Will she be overclocking?
  • What resolution will she be using in her video games?
  • Is she hoping for the highest in-game graphics settings with 60 FPS or higher (and consistently low frametimes)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1080P 60FPS is what she'll be playing at. This will be used while streaming and playing games on a single computer and multi-tasking with other programs. She's trying to stay around the $700 price range too. Again, feel free to make suggestions. If the price can be lowered while still being sufficient, that'd be even better.

She's unclear about how demanding VR games might be. I've no clue either so some help in that regard would be nice.

Forgot to mention about upgrading in the near future as well.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I already said the PSU was crap.
You'd pick the 1000 series becasue it's cheap.

The build is fine for 1080p/60.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I already said the PSU was crap.
You'd pick the 1000 series becasue it's cheap.

The build is fine for 1080p/60.
I know you said it's crap. I'm questioning that very severely.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
1080P 60FPS is what she'll be playing at. This will be used while streaming and playing games on a single computer and multi-tasking with other programs. She's trying to stay around the $700 price range too. Again, feel free to make suggestions. If the price can be lowered while still being sufficient, that'd be even better.

She's unclear about how demanding VR games might be. I've no clue either so some help in that regard would be nice.

Forgot to mention about upgrading in the near future as well.
Upgrading what? Can you be specific?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are we really telling people that the 650W SeaSonic S12II is crap? You're not going to find a better PSU for $32 after a mail-in rebate. All of the other PSUs near that price really ARE crap. For what the build is and what the plans are with it, I really see no problem with this PSU.

Wintry Paradise:

• Will she be overclocking?
  • What resolution will she be using in her video games?
  • Is she hoping for the highest in-game graphics settings with 60 FPS or higher (and consistently low frametimes)?
No overclocking. 1920x1080. High to medium graphics.

Upgrading possibly the CPU/GPU/RAM.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
No overclocking. 1920x1080. High to medium graphics.
No overclocking - that's what I thought, and so I say again, your choice of PSU is just fine. It's quite a solid choice for $32 after a mail-in rebate. The next PSU on the PCPartPicker list I'd recommend costs $60 after a $20 mail-in rebate, and the build is already $728.18. With a cost goal of around $700, I see no good reason to replace the 650W S12II with a more expensive model.

The reason I asked about the performance goal is to see whether this system can handle it, and yeah, I think it'll be fine.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I know you said it's crap. I'm questioning that very severely.
I was responding to Shilka.

I actually didn't see the other I, I thought it was the same group regulated PSU from 8 years ago that was on sale for $30 again.

No idea what the new one is made of and can't find anything about it really.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No overclocking - that's what I thought, and so I say again, your choice of PSU is just fine. It's quite a solid choice for $32 after a mail-in rebate. The next PSU on the PCPartPicker list I'd recommend costs $60 after a $20 mail-in rebate, and the build is already $728.18. With a cost goal of around $700, I see no good reason to replace the 650W S12II with a more expensive model.

The reason I asked about the performance goal is to see whether this system can handle it, and yeah, I think it'll be fine.
That's really great to hear. Also thank you to the rest of you for chipping in. I really appreciate it and so will she. Any further suggestions or questions?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I was responding to Shilka.

I actually didn't see the other I, I thought it was the same group regulated PSU from 8 years ago that was on sale for $30 again.

No idea what the new one is made of and can't find anything about it really.
Oh, I apologize - I definitely missed that.

Even the original 520W and 620W S12II PSUs would be fine for this, even though they have a higher price right now. It's not like this rig is going to need a stellar PSU. She won't be overclocking. She just wants a good computer.

Sure, for about $30 she could have a PSU that would make most of us overclockers happy, but I see no reason to increase the cost of the build even further above the $700 cost goal just for a PSU we all know is better but would (or should) make no difference to her, even after several years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kinda depends on what the standards are for those things. Almost any machine will do all those things.
The GPU will do ok at 1440p but there are a lot of games that could tank it down under 60fps.
Like I said, it really depends on what you're expecting it to do.
If your goals are 1080p/60+ yeah that's great, 1440p/60 would be pretty good in most games but I'm not really sure what sort of max framerate to expect out of the CPU. Streaming would be do-able but I'd want more cores if that's a priority.
VR...what exactly are we trying to run and how well?
The PSU is crap though.
The ram should be fine but I'd check the QVL, the 1000 series was pretty particular about ram speed.

It's cheap?
Which RAM do you suggest?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
That's really great to hear. Also thank you to the rest of you for chipping in. I really appreciate it and so will she. Any further suggestions or questions?
Yeah, I should've asked before: what are the chances she will actually use those mail-in rebates?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, I apologize - I definitely missed that.

Even the original 520W and 620W S12II PSUs would be fine for this, even though they have a higher price right now. It's not like this rig is going to need a stellar PSU. She won't be overclocking. She just wants a good computer.

Sure, for about $30 she could have a PSU that would make most of us overclockers happy, but I see no reason to increase the cost of the build even further above the $700 cost goal just for a PSU we all know is better but would (or should) make no difference to her, even after several years.
This is exactly what she wants for the time being. Something that works and is cappable.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I'll need to ask her about that tomorrow.
Ok, thank you.

If she says she won't use them, then that will increase the cost of this build by around $35 (according to what PCPartPicker is showing me). I realize that a cost goal of $700 and an actual cost of $766 is not a HUGE difference, but still.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts