1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by flak-spammer
View Post

First, what TECs. Second what voltage. Otherwise there is no answer to that question.

Regular peltiers, no titans or stacked. at 12v.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah, but that's still not enough information. A TEC can be referred to as a 327w TEC and that would be it's Qmax (maximum energy moved). Or that could be its Pmax (maximum energy consumed). Also each module is different in terms of Dt, efficiency, and Qmax. So I'd need to know the manufacturer and the model.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Qmax is Q at Vmax, and afaik most modules are 15.4 Vmax. I think I know what you mean, but just sayin'.
With Qmax stated though, I suspect Q12 to be somewhat lower. Haven't played with TEC's for a while though, so I don't really have the graphs in my head anymore and couldn't say what exact Q they'd be running at.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... um... so then

Sorry if this is to hard to understand it's the best way I know how to put it.

I can find the link for the TEC but I was looking for 4 350W TEC's

Example:

4 water cooled TEC's chilling water at 82F could get the water to ___(1)___ degrees.
Then ___(1)___ degrees water could water cool 4 more TEC's to chill another reservoir to ___(2)___ degrees.

___(2)___ degrees water is then pumped to a TEC water block cooling roughly 500W ( 250W {CPU} + 150W {TEC #1} + 100W {TEC #2}).

Can ___(2)___ degrees water cool 500W efficiently. If so how hot will the water be when leaving the water block ___(3)___. And how cold will the water block be with dtmax of TEC#1 (Qmax 150W) and TEC#2 (Qmax 100W) both 68C.

1 = ?
2 = ?
3 = ?

CPU Block = ?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am really tired and have had like 8 hrs sleep past 2 days but hey why not i'll bite.

Very general:

There aren't any commercially availiable TEC's with those specs. If you were looking on ebay stop. I see two otions here. 1. 4x50mmx50mm 31.5v 331w qmax TEC's like mine. 2. 4x62x62mm 26?v (i'd have to look but i'll give ya a link to the store.) 400w qmax TEC's. Either way you are looking at $200-300 in TECs alone. Then you'll need power supplly(ies). That you could search about ebay for or just use 2 24v 1000w meanwells. Add another 200 if your resourceful. So we are at 400 to 500 USD. You can save alot on TECs from china but don't make me go there
I guess you are going to stack TEC's in the cpu block since tec 1 and 2 have different Qmax's. Otherwise why? Even if you halve the cost to 250 USD you haven't yet gotten blocks tubing yadda yadda.

I don't know if I would be worrying about the heat just yet unless you have deep pockets. You should also be thinking about what you are going to power this whole set up from. This ain't gonna run on a 20 amp 110v breaker trust me

Link:www.customthermoelectric.com

P.S. I am in no way trying to discourage you lol but i think you are getting ahead of yourself a bit is all.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasily Degtyaryov View Post
Qmax is Q at Vmax, and afaik most modules are 15.4 Vmax. I think I know what you mean, but just sayin'.
With Qmax stated though, I suspect Q12 to be somewhat lower. Haven't played with TEC's for a while though, so I don't really have the graphs in my head anymore and couldn't say what exact Q they'd be running at.
yip thats right

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elloquin View Post
I am really tired and have had like 8 hrs sleep past 2 days but hey why not i'll bite.

Very general:

There aren't any commercially availiable TEC's with those specs. If you were looking on ebay stop. I see two otions here. 1. 4x50mmx50mm 31.5v 331w qmax TEC's like mine. 2. 4x62x62mm 26?v (i'd have to look but i'll give ya a link to the store.) 400w qmax TEC's. Either way you are looking at $200-300 in TECs alone. Then you'll need power supplly(ies). That you could search about ebay for or just use 2 24v 1000w meanwells. Add another 200 if your resourceful. So we are at 400 to 500 USD. You can save alot on TECs from china but don't make me go there
I guess you are going to stack TEC's in the cpu block since tec 1 and 2 have different Qmax's. Otherwise why? Even if you halve the cost to 250 USD you haven't yet gotten blocks tubing yadda yadda.

I don't know if I would be worrying about the heat just yet unless you have deep pockets. You should also be thinking about what you are going to power this whole set up from. This ain't gonna run on a 20 amp 110v breaker trust me

Link:www.customthermoelectric.com

P.S. I am in no way trying to discourage you lol but i think you are getting ahead of yourself a bit is all.
I dont mind spending a bit of money, this is all theoretical if i get into the honors college here. If i do its 5000 a semester scholorship. that along with other scholorships mean i pocket 5k a semester. (2 semesters in a year)

Im just trying this for ****s a giggles, getting theories and stuff.

but i will be using a similar set up for my 0c rig

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Intresting Enough View Post
... um... so then

I can find the link for the TEC but I was looking for 4 350W TEC's

Example:

4 water cooled TEC's chilling water at 82F could get the water to ___(1)___ degrees.
Then ___(1)___ degrees water could water cool 4 more TEC's to chill another reservoir to ___(2)___ degrees.

___(2)___ degrees water is then pumped to a TEC water block cooling roughly 500W ( 250W {CPU} + 150W {TEC #1} + 100W {TEC #2}).

Can ___(2)___ degrees water cool 500W efficiently. If so how hot will the water be when leaving the water block ___(3)___. And how cold will the water block be with dtmax of TEC#1 (Qmax 150W) and TEC#2 (Qmax 100W) both 68C.

1 = ?
2 = ?
3 = ?

CPU Block = ?

ok you are talking about Stacking. were a group of TEC cool another group of TEC's

This is covered in my "everything you've ever wanted to know about TEC's Stick .. It's in my sig check it out

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 (muffy) View Post
ok you are talking about Stacking. were a group of TEC cool another group of TEC's

This is covered in my "everything you've ever wanted to know about TEC's Stick .. It's in my sig check it out
Yeah i read over it. this is why i wanted the 4 tec's to chill the water for the stacked one. if 4 moves around 600W + then i can keep the dtmax of the stacked at 68 each meaning im getting temps of around maybe -110C

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 (muffy) View Post
um no it doesn't . i will explain a bit more in 30 mins or so
Explain in 30 minutes oh masterful one

·
Registered
633 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Intresting Enough View Post
Yeah i read over it. this is why i wanted the 4 tec's to chill the water for the stacked one. if 4 moves around 600W + then i can keep the dtmax of the stacked at 68 each meaning im getting temps of around maybe -110C
I really need to go to bed but...you deserve special attention
I miss Zipdogso he had such a flair.

Exactly what fluid were you planning to run through the cold side at -110c hell tell me what you are going run at -50c.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Before we can understand stacking you must first FULLY understand Qmax and dTmax

Qmax is the amount of heat that can be moved to a delta of 0 ( the hot and cold sides are = temps )

dTmax is achieved when NO load is applied to the TEC and at this point Q =0 ( or the TEC can't move any heat load to a delta of 69 )

As you apply a load to the cold side of the TEC the delta is reduced . that means if your cooling a cpu it is impossible to cool it to a delta of 69

So you can't just add the dtmax's together and expect a delta of 138

NOW to stacking

If you apply Umax ( full power ) to a TEC to get your Qmax and dTmax then ALL the electricity to do so is lost as heat to the hot side of the TEC .

If your running the TEC's at full power then the TECs will use FAR more power than they can move.

In the case of stacking the second set of TEC's has to move the previous set of TEC's "WASTE" heat as well as the load applied ( CPU ) this will mean that the total load applied to the second set of tec's will FAR exceed it's Qmax resulting in a fail

IE ( im just making up numbers )

TEC can move 400 while used 600 of electricity
CPU = 200

CPU =200
TEC 1 moves the 200 while adding 500watts

TEC 2 then has to move the 200 watt CPU and the 500watts which equals 700 watts . However the TEC can only move 400 . so this can not work.

Now you can get Stacking to work with having FAR more Qmax in the second level and or not running the TEC's at full power. however in both cases the Delta will be significantly reduced from a theoretical 69*2

1 - 20 of 25 Posts