Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at another rig coming soon and the gpu seems to be the problem. With Amd cards at absurd prices I'm looking at possibly trying nvidia. Whats a decent gpu to boinc on?

If amazon will honor a price match on a EVGA GeForce GTX780 Superclocked for $400, should I go with that or does anyone have any suggestions? Amd card for that price I could probably get a used 7970.

Nvidia or AMD?

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
They won't honor the price unless it's at a genuine brick & mortar store or a very well known online e-tailer. Too much fraud and small websites with no intention of fulfilling an actual order.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awhile back Amazon themselves had this card for $360. I chatted with customer service and he said they would honor once it came back in stock. I havnt messed with it because of no money but now with tax returns coming in I might try. Amazon is awesome and when they see how much I buy from them maybe they will honor it. Ill give it a shot I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,454 Posts

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used HD7970 for BOINC. It'll likely have been beaten to the ground mining

For $400 a GTX 780 is a faster card anyhow (even in pure FP32 GFLOPs at base clock 863 MHz they're about equal to HD7970GE), and supports all the GK110 features such as Dynamic Parallelism, GPU Direct, Hyper Q , and such

The only place it'll be slower I think will be [email protected] , [email protected] is out of WUs. DistrRTgen should run better on the Radeon as well since it's a crypto thing & Collatz because of integer performance.

·
Premium Member
6,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCrazy View Post

Alpha I got the 780 sc since amazon price matched it. I might put the 7950s in one rig instead of having split in two. And 780 in another.
good deal. so when it comes it what project you going to run on it? Prime? Dirt? Collatz?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts