Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

A friend of mine has just called to tell me that his laptop is destroyed, so he is in need of something else.

He doesn't have much to spend, but would like a reasonable computer build. He will hook it up to his LCD TV, so monitor isn't required - it's just a tower.

Could I have your reccommendations please?

You could either try doing a cheap and cheerfull, or a cheap gamer system - as he would like to play games, but dowsn't know if he can afford.

Cheers guys, reps awaiting

UK by the way

MaK

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Budget Mak?

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put it this way.

He's left work to become a full time carer for his elderly father - so he's only making £200 per month and has outgoings - so as cheap as possible

Cheers James, it's good to see you mate

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaKaVeLi View Post
Put it this way.

He's left work to become a full time carer for his elderly father - so he's only making £200 per month and has outgoings - so as cheap as possible

Cheers James, it's good to see you mate

£400? £500 too much for a complete build?

If he wants to play games on it, you would probably be looking at around £500 for a good system - maybe something like this (with a GTS250 + Antec 300) or I can put a build together.

If it isn't for gaming and needs to be uber cheap, this looks pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lmao - Nice one Fusi0n, you've managed to find the only 2 that I have looked at on the internet.

Only place I know is overclockers lol!

Yeah they both look decent, but I'm going to give hm a buzz and find out what his max budget. I may have to look for the second hand bits though because I'm sure he'll be after something that's OK for him and his dad, but then he can play on when his dad's sleeping, as I can imagine there isn't much 'fun' in caring for the elderly 24/7.

Back in a bit.

MaK

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! HOW DO YOU ADD FECKING REP AROUND HERE?!

Losing my bloody mind!

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaKaVeLi View Post
lmao - Nice one Fusi0n, you've managed to find the only 2 that I have looked at on the internet.
Great minds think alike right?

E5300
Asus P5Q SE2
9800GT
4GB Ram
Corsair VX450W
Samsung F3 500GB
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
Doovdé drive
Antec 300 (or another decent case)

Not uber cheap, but still a very good build if it will be used for gaming. The other option is of course to look for another prebuilt or maybe some cheap stuff on ebay.

Mak, rep is disabled in offtopic I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaKaVeLi
View Post

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! HOW DO YOU ADD FECKING REP AROUND HERE?!

Losing my bloody mind!

It's been disabled in OT, so you need to find the member's other posts and rep one of them.
Back on topic, if all he wants is a machine for basic tasks, what's wrong with spending £150 or so on a P4 rig with 2GB ram and a 9600GSO or something? That'll be able to play basic games and playback 1080p, and it sounds like he can use the money he saves elsewhere

1 - 10 of 10 Posts