Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does one get this crap to work??? im on the verge of pulling my hair out...i got it to boot with he post and splash screen and what not but i still cant use my KB and i still cant get past post is there something im doing wrong? where does the memory need to be, 1 and 3?
this is my mobo DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

its the replacement for my msi that fried last week
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Reset the cmos, and try using a PS/2 keyboard if you can.

It should've brought some jumpers with a handle to make them easier to grab, as the cmos reset jumper is on the I/O panel.

And exactly what message (if any) are you getting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried the bois reset and i tried 1 stick of ram but it still hangs at splash logo what am i doing wrong... what slot do i need to put the only stick of ram in and what slots for dual channel
EDIT: i have a ps/2 keyboard and il do EXACTLY as u guys say because i really wanna computer now ,i haven't used one in a week and this is my moms
the problem with dfi is they dont tell u how to set it up in that garbage of a manual that comes with the board...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by vtech1
View Post

i tried the bois reset and i tried 1 stick of ram but it still hangs at splash logo what am i doing wrong... what slot do i need to put the only stick of ram in and what slots for dual channal

You may need to install some cheapo ram just to get into the BIOS and manually adjust the voltages. Assuming ram is the issue and you can't boot at all.

And what message is the diagnostic LED display giving you?

Also, have you given the PS/2 keyboard a shot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by Shift.
View Post

You may need to install some cheapo ram just to get into the BIOS and manually adjust the voltages. Assuming ram is the issue.

And what message is the diagnostic LED display giving you?

what diagnostic LED???if its those 2 LED number thingys lol there isnt any on this board how ever there is a place for them as if as they forgot to put them in heres the board

Quote:


Originally Posted by Shift.
View Post

Also, have you given the PS/2 keyboard a shot?

yes i have
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vtech1 View Post
what diagnostic LED???if its those 2 LED number thingys lol there isnt any on this board how ever there is a place for them as if as they forgot to put them in heres the board


I'm sorry. I thought it was the M2RSH.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducrider View Post
Is this a new board?If so then you need to check the compatability of the phenom you have.The factory bios might not support it.If thats the case then you need to install a dual core to load windows and flash the bios to the most updated flash.
That might have something to do with it. Although even my old SB600 Gigabyte was able to recognize my X3 with the factory BIOS, your DFI may prove to be a little more finicky.

What other processors do you have handy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtech1 View Post
no no i had it almost boot at one point but then i did something and made it worst...
Care to elaborate on what you did?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vtech1 View Post
i got to bios again saved and tried to boot to install windows(though i could go all the way)but it keeps freezing at post every reboot ,i can still get into bios but only for a short time(1 minute)
At this point, I'd reflash the BIOS.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/portal/CM/cmpr...rmal&mode=view
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vtech1 View Post
but it reads my cpu as a phenom 9600 quad-core so why do i gotta flash it?
It may "read" it, but there may be some underlying issues within the BIOS causing to not post. When you're having issues like this, a BIOS flash is really the only way to go.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Do you think you'll be able to flash it using the 9600?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,806 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Shift.
View Post

It may "read" it, but there may be some underlying issues within the BIOS causing to not post. When you're having issues like this, a BIOS flash is really the only way to go.

I have to agree.
Also, what exactly did you do in the BIOS?

I know with my DFI board it didn't even want to boot at first. i had to strip it down to the bare essentials and use 1 stick of RAM in the orange slot closest to the CPU. It booted up just fine then I added the rest of the stuff and its been working fine ever since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by vtech1
View Post

i got to bios again saved and tried to boot to install windows(though i could go all the way)but it keeps freezing at post every reboot ,i can still get into bios but only for a short time(1 minute)

This happened to me with my current msi diamond board until I found out that they had recently released a new bios update for 45nm processors(this was a while ago) and afterwards it worked flawlessly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by vtech1
View Post

so what do i do if i dont have another cpu???

Is it absolutely impossible for you to be able to boot far enough on the 9600 in order to flash it? Perhaps try resetting the cmos yet again for a little longer. Even take out the battery, as well as shorting the jumper on the I/O panel.

Otherwise, I'd look into borrowing a processor from someone, or maybe even getting a cheap sempron. That is of course, last resort. Like Omega said, try stripping it down to only the essentials.

I'd even try running the motherboard outside the case. You'd be surprised what a simple re-seating can accomplish.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top