Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I am new to VM tech and wanting to learn by expermenting at home. So I build a whitebox and after doing some research I created this monster. Its a little beefy but If this does not work out it will make a great home server/game rig for my son.

asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0
AMD FX-8350 4 GHz Processor - Socket AM3+
16GB CRUCIAL RAM DDR3 1600
(4) Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s NCQ 64 MB Cache in raid 10
46M0861 IBM SERVERAID M1015 SAS/SATA CONTROLLER P/N: 46M0861
ESXi 5.0

My problem is when I try to load ESXi onto my box I get a error at megaraid_sas. Which I think could be related to the Raid controller.
I went into the long form report on the loading the OS and posted a picture of some of the lines so maybe someone could steer me in the right direction.
Also included is the specs of my Raid card.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Your card isn't compatible with V-Sphere 5

Also, if I remember rightly, your network card is broadcom, V-sphere won't work with broadcom network cards either or if it does work it doesn't like it at all

EDIT - I've just seen you have 46M0861 IBM SERVERAID M1015 SAS/SATA CONTROLLER give me a minute, I thought you were running something else

UPDATE - Checked it, your card isn't compatible, if you really want to get this up and running, you might be better off with an HP microserver, that's what I run at home and they are pretty cheap to get
biggrin.gif

Comps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I found on VMWARE'S site. Reason I purchased the RAID

As for the Nic, I've not heard anything about it but would not doubt it. I have gotten some advice to try to install the OS on a USB drive then install the card.. this sometimes works..

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The MicroServer is amazingly versatile, proud owner of one myself.

Check out this Wiki http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/HP_MicroServer_N40L_Wiki

I've seen many people running ESXi on theirs, though obviously not with many VM's due to the 2 core CPU.

Also, the RAID controller on the N40L only works as a SATA controller, since it's chipset RAID, ESXi does not support it.

NIC should be fine though.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locnar View Post

This is what I found on VMWARE'S site. Reason I purchased the RAID

As for the Nic, I've not heard anything about it but would not doubt it. I have gotten some advice to try to install the OS on a USB drive then install the card.. this sometimes works..
I ran a search myself on the same website, couldn't find it, that's the only reason I said it wasn't compatible.... It could be your onboard RAID controller rather than your serveraid card... It's definitely one of your controllers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dushan24 View Post

The MicroServer is amazingly versatile, proud owner of one myself.

Check out this Wiki http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/HP_MicroServer_N40L_Wiki

I've seen many people running ESXi on theirs, though obviously not with many VM's due to the 2 core CPU.

Also, the RAID controller on the N40L only works as a SATA controller, since it's chipset RAID, ESXi does not support it.

NIC should be fine though.
Actually I've got 4 VM's including the V-Center on that and it runs like a dream
biggrin.gif
. It's only really an issue when you start running processor intensive apps like SQL and exchange. V-sphere doesn't like broadcom nics at all tbh, not sure about the driver change since we run V-Sphere on HP DL 580's

Comps

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I'm not running RAID at the moment, so i was fine with my onboard SATA controller. If the onboard controller is causing issues, is it possible to disabled the onboard RAID controller from the Bios?

I bought a couple Intel Pro 1000 Dual Port NICs (Dell x3959) cards for the networking portion. That way I could run trunking and teaming. I noticed my onboard NIC is also supported, I just don't use it.

My installation was pretty clean. Only issue I had was with USB 3.0. I run ESXi on a USB 2.0 flash drive, not on the local storage. I was accidentally plugging it into a USB 3.0 port. That caused and issues where ESXi wouldn't save any configuration variables. When plugged into a USB 2.0 port, all issues were remediated.

But, like I said, I'm not running RAID.

Also, you have all the virtualization options turned on is the Bios? I'm not an ESXi guru, so just throwing some things out there.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You should turn on all virtualisation options in the BIOS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello community,

I'd like to know if ESXi works with the configuration that Locnar posted, specially the motherboard. I have almost the same computer but instead of 16GB I have 32GB, and I don't have the SATA Controller Locnar mentions. Do I need a Sata Controller, What do I need to get the best performance in this Motherboard, please let me know if ESXi is supported in the ASUS motherboard we have and if I need to buy something else.

My configuration is:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
32GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (2 --- KVR13N9K2/16)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilego View Post

Hello community,

I'd like to know if ESXi works with the configuration that Locnar posted, specially the motherboard. I have almost the same computer but instead of 16GB I have 32GB, and I don't have the SATA Controller Locnar mentions. Do I need a Sata Controller, What do I need to get the best performance in this Motherboard, please let me know if ESXi is supported in the ASUS motherboard we have and if I need to buy something else.

My configuration is:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
32GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (2 --- KVR13N9K2/16)

Thanks in advance!
It should work but you'll have to try it out to know for sure since these parts are most likely not on the HCL for ESXi 5.1.

As for the RAID controller, no you don't need a separate one. If the install works, it should detect the drives connected to the motherboard. Just make sure they are not setup in any RAID array using the built in software controller on the motherboard. Software RAID like that won't be detected by ESXi.

The main concern would be the on board NIC not being detected without installing separate drivers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Install ESXi into a USB and run it from there. Then use the RAID for the storage.
You might also want to buy an Intel network card as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts