Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I build a new PC for my friend, he choose corsair H110i GT as cooling solution but fans from Corsair are pretty loud. So i search for quiet fans with good static pressure for this AIO.

I found many 140 fans but i dont know which one to choose:
Akasa fans:
Viper 140 - 3.12 mm H2O and 26 DB of noise
Viper R 140 - 2.91 mm-H2O and 21.6 DB
Piranha 140 - 3.04 mm-H2O and 27.2 DB
Apache 140 - 2.7 mm-H20 and 22 DB

Noctua:
NFA 14 PWM - 2.08 mm-H2O and 25 DB
NF-A14 Industrial PWM - 4,18 mm- H2O and 31 DB

So which one i need to choose, my friend wants quiet pc but also he need good cooling solution because he will overclock CPU in future. Do you know other fans which i could pick?
Maybe one of you has such fans in your PC or knows what will be good for that Corsair ?

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul19K View Post

Hello
I build a new PC for my friend, he choose corsair H110i GT as cooling solution but fans from Corsair are pretty loud. So i search for quiet fans with good static pressure for this AIO.

Akasa fans:

Noctua:

So which one i need to choose, my friend wants quiet pc but also he need good cooling solution because he will overclock CPU in future. Do you know other fans which i could pick?
Maybe one of you has such fans in your PC or knows what will be good for that Corsair ?
Vardars or Gentle Typhoons
smile.gif
Vardars are new and easier to find (I think scythe starting making GTs again so they are fairly easy to find again.)

If you can find them the Scythes are slightly better and quieter, both are pretty much the best rad fans you can buy.

Edit didn't see you needed 140s well that changes things. Vardars all the way best 140mm rad fans there is and pretty quiet to boot. If you dont mind controlling them go with 2500s, https://shop.ekwb.com/radiators-fans/fans/140mm if you want to them to run full speed always there's other speeds on EKs site as well.

EK is the only place to buy them atm as they are pretty new still, might be able to find them elsewhere though
smile.gif

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the Viper and they are pretty awesome, especially for the price. I would recommend them. I have them controlled via PWM and are silent

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:

Hello

Akasa fans:

Noctua:

I do have to agree that Vipers are good, Also a word of warning as I noticed that you listed rated SP never ever ever listen to those specs all fan makers lie all of them some more than others but those stats are as good as worthless. If you want true numbers look at independent reviews
smile.gif

That shows a some you listed including the vipers
smile.gif
Source

Now that said take a look at that graph date Vipers are old fans and there is alot of fans that are much better for rads these days. Corsair fans that already has are better (louder) but better than those vipers

I'm still suggesting Vardars if you can afford them there about the same noise level and much better performance, that said vipers are cheaper by quite a bit depending on how many you need and can be easily found in the US.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Again
smile.gif

And i wish you happy new year.

I must tell you that i'm from poland. I made some search and i don't find this EK or Scythe Gentle Typhon in stores.
That's why I have to choose something else . The computer has ASUS motherboard and can easily control the operation of fans from the AI Suite application . Tell me whether on that cooler needed is greater static pressure or airflow ? I would like to mount the fans that will be as good or a similar performance as those from Corsair but I would also reduce noise. In the case in the front and rear i mount Prolimatech Red Vortex fans which have great CFM at the same time that i can't hear them. Only 18.1 DBA

I think that this AKASA or NOCTUA fans from my first post are best option from my polish market
smile.gif
But i dont know which one i need to mount
smile.gif
The price doesn't matter
smile.gif

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:

Hello Again
smile.gif

And i wish you happy new year.

I must tell you that i'm from poland. I made some search and i don't find this EK or Scythe Gentle Typhon in stores.
That's why I have to choose something else . The computer has ASUS motherboard and can easily control the operation of fans from the AI Suite application . Tell me whether on that cooler needed is greater static pressure or airflow ? I would like to mount the fans that will be as good or a similar performance as those from Corsair but I would also reduce noise. In the case in the front and rear i mount Prolimatech Red Vortex fans which have great CFM at the same time that i can't hear them. Only 18.1 DBA

I think that this AKASA or NOCTUA fans from my first post are best option from my polish market
smile.gif
But i dont know which one i need to mount
smile.gif
The price doesn't matter
smile.gif
The only place to buy the Vardars is EK and they are UK based so you go no issues getting them I don't think. The corsair fans are bad because of the way they are designed. I would go with the turning the corsairs down.

Edit: Scracth all that I fulfilled a suspicion EK is based out 400 miles out of Poland (they are in Slovenia) surely shipping cant be that much. Go to there site its the best fan you are going to get.
https://shop.ekwb.com/ The reason that you dont see them in Poland stores is because they aren't in any store yet they are too new you can only buy them from EK directly right now.

Also if you go with the Noctuas there are all sorts of issues that they cause with rads. Alot of the industry has steered away from 140mm rads because of poor fans for rads in the 140mm size get Vardars they are hands down the only fans that deserve to be on a rad in the 140mm dept.

If you cant get the EKs because of shipping issues then I would suggest controlling the Corsair SP fans to be quieter as even turned down for silence they are better than any fan you listed. Do not listen to fan specs they lie and those fans your listen are horrible for rads.

Dont get me wrong the vipers are good or I should say they were years ago there days are over. There is much much better fans in 140mm for rads these days and the corsairs you already have are one of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm i see this Vardar F3 got lower static pressure and similar noise level compared to stock Corsair fans. F4 got better static pressure but 48 DBA is much more than Corsair fans. Ok i can turn down speed but when i need great performance for OC i will need that speed.

I've overclocked CPU on my friend RIG today to 4,5 GHz with 1.25 V of Vcore and after 10 minutes of AIDA64 stress testing we got 69 max temp with fans set up on 1850 RPM. I think the temps are ok but the sound of fans was horrible, my friend told me that we need to lower noise level.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:

Hmm i see this Vardar F3 got lower static pressure and similar noise level compared to stock Corsair fans. F4 got better static pressure but 48 DBA is much more than Corsair fans. Ok i can turn down speed but when i need great performance for OC i will need that speed.

I've overclocked CPU on my friend RIG today to 4,5 GHz with 1.25 V of Vcore and after 10 minutes of AIDA64 stress testing we got 69 max temp with fans set up on 1850 RPM. I think the temps are ok but the sound of fans was horrible, my friend told me that we need to lower noise level.
Do not read fan specs ever, fan specs are lies there are very few company's that actually tell the truth. I do not think this is on purpose, however there specs are always wrong, only believe independent reviews. Vardars have the highest static pressure at the same RPM then any other 140mm fan period. They are designed for SP they are 140mm versions of Gentle Typhoons the best rad fan ever. They are made by a water cooling company lol, those fans have one purpose to be on a rad and there is no better, defiantly not any corsair fan.

Are they the quietest fans no, will they yield the best performance on a rad yes. Are they better than the corsairs, by leaps and bounds.

90% of the time if you lower noise you increase temps, Unless you add more rads. If you have corsair fans they have some serious design flaws that make them bad for rads depending on how they are used, Vardars will show a temp improvement at the same speed, at a lower speed you will get good performance with quiet operation.

As to independent reviews here have a look at this

"Performance wise, it is an absolute champion at the moment too. There are other 140mm fans being tested out all the time so we shall see how it fares with time but for now it is one of the best performing fans."
http://thermalbench.com/2015/08/11/ek-vardar-f1-140-140mm-fan/4/

His fan was also a preretail sample and had some issue for which the first bacth of fans was recalled and said to have been fixed.

Are there other good fans to consider yes, Vipers are good, Cougar Vortexs are good, Bgears B Blasters are good. Are corsair fans good as much as I would love to say yes (Believe I would I own 15 of them) there are simply way better fans. Of that list I own 1 viper 6 cougars and 3 Bgears as well.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusManB View Post

cyberlocc i sent you a PM
Got it and replied, Also his question and my answer kinda apply to this thread (he is curious about 120s not 140s) so I will put my answer here as well. As it may help OP and others that see this thread.
I spoiled it to not derail ops thread with a massive post.
thumb.gif

Hi
I figure i may as well PM you rather then posting up another thread.
I just saw your reply about RAD Fans, and would like your input.

I am currently using Servo Gentle Typhoons the http://www.amazon.com/Nidec-Gentle-Typhoon-D1225C12B5AP-Silent/dp/B001Q6RUVO on the 480 RAD in Pull only, Are the Scythe Gentle Typhoon the same or better? Not sure if I should find more for my new build? I would like to have Both Rads in Push and Pull so I would need 16! Fans. The Gentle Typhoons have Been amazingly Quiet but are rather ugly and would like LEDS if possible. I have seen some Builds with Corsair LED Fans on the Rads, are they any good? What are the Quietest fans with the most Static Pressure other then GT's yet are eye appealing, I might get all the same fans for passive Case cooling as well for my Ram, Exc..

Edit: So if GTs and Vardar is the best for RADs, would this 120, (2200rpm) size be good? My Case is white so i figure go with white and they are also PWM the GTs are not.
https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-vardar-f4-120er-2200rpm-white

As to the Rads them selves, My Current RAD is an XSPC the thick version.
Should I just get a second or get 2 480s of another brand like EKs Vardar?

Thanks!

Hey the GTs are what the Vardars try to be, that said in 140mm there is no GTs, Also when EK designed and released the Vardars it was because the OEM stopped making the GT's.

Okay Scythe VS Servo, here is the thing about GTs, Scythe labels and sells them as there Gentle Typhoons, However they do not make the fan. The true maker of the fan is Nidec Servo, Nidec Servo is an industrial company, they make server fans, a consumer cannot purchase directly from Servo as they only sell in mass quantity's.

Now so we can see that as much as I hate to admit it because I do love EK very much, Servo is the better company, however Servo has a broader field and thus can become a bigger industry. In a test between GTs and Vardars, the GTs will win in every department. Not by much, however winning is winning.

Now for alot of people (myself included) there is more to a PC build that just numbers, if for instance in your case white would look better, that is something to consider and plays a major role. If I was building a white build I would go with the Vardars over the GTs, but this is a personal decision nothing beats GTs and Vardars come in second (so few beat them). So if a tiny bit of performance is an acceptable loss for a better looking fan and other features you may need is the decision you must make for yourself.

All of that taken into consideration I will pull a quote from a reviewer that I like "In a world without Gentle Typhoons it may be the best available, but GT's are back again so it's not so compelling anymore. It's a little sad that after all this time that no company has been able to beat the performance of the legendary Gentle Typhoon." - Stren.

Okay onward to Corsair fans, you will see alot of hate around here for Corsair fans and for good reason tbh. I like Corsair so I hate to be the one to sit here and bash them in anyway, but it must be done. Corsair SP fans imo can be good fans and they could have been great fans, my issue with the corsair fans is there major design flaw. If you look at the fans they have the circle outer ring followed by triangles to hold them down, where most fans are square. While this gives an attractive look for sure, however in a rad application it also is there downfall.

The issue with corsairs is air like water will always take the easiest route possible. When you put a corsair fan on a rad it is now easier to pull air or push air from the sides of the fan. That is not to say that all air will go to the sides and escape or miss the rad, however some of it will which takes a toll on performance.

There is a silver lining, if you were to make rad shroud or even just plates that have cutouts a tad smaller than outer circle of the fan you could solve alot of this issue. This would make the fan a major contender Linus did a review on the SP's touting them as great fans (which they can be). However in his testing he duct taped the fan to the wind tunnel machine, this stopped the issue most users will have in a normal rad environment. So if you can find a shroud like I describe or are a little handy with sheet metal you cna make the SP fans perform really well and look good doing it!

The thing with all of this though at the end of the day is this, While performance is defiantly a factor its not the only one. Not every user wants to squeeze every single degree of thermal performance from there loop. There is a major aesthetic factor, some times the two meet up and the aesthetics just happen to line up with the very best, in other cases you need to make a decision of which outweighs the other.

Also I know I tend to harp on performance and make every thing seem world ending, though that is not the case at all. The difference between say GTs and Vardars is maybe 1c on your CPU, between GTs and Corsairs (with the shroud mod) maybe 2-3c on the CPU. We are not talking mass amounts at all however if you add in other performance choices that number can jump IE using the best rad, best block, and best fans, the difference between a different a setup can make a 10c difference with ease. As you see most of the ratings are tightly grouped with the lead being a few C better than the bottom. So if I had the best rad and corsair fans, and you had a different rad with GTs the two would cancel each other out giving us very similar loop performance.

I hope this helps, and have a great day.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
For the price of those EK knockoff fans you might as well just get real Gentle Typhoons. The EKs might be easier to find in your area though.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7-2nr View Post

For the price of those EK knockoff fans you might as well just get real Gentle Typhoons. The EKs might be easier to find in your area though.
There is no 140mm GTs, There is but they are called EK knockoffs lol
smile.gif

I didn't catch that part at first either
tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I completely didn't notice he was looking for 140s.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What is the recommended RPM versions of the GTs(120mm) for RAD Cooling? 1850, 1450, 2200?

Using 4 1850 now and if I go with lower RPM but
With 16 fans Noise would be less but what about static Pressure drop?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Quote:

What is the recommended RPM versions of the GTs(120mm) for RAD Cooling? 1850, 1450, 2200?

That answer is completely subjective. Some people don't mind listening to screaming fans if it will get them 2c lower temps. You've got to find your comfort zone in the noise/airflow tradeoff. I use 6 GT 1850s turned down to 1000rpm with a 6 channel scythe fan controller. It's almost inaudible.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:

RX7 beat me to it
smile.gif
, My Answer is basically the same as his. However my suggestion differs with a question.

Do you plan on controlling the fans?

If Yes, than My opinion is get the highest rpm you can find. Here is my reasoning, if you are browsing or something you dont want loud noises distracting you or throughout the day same thing. However during most of those times your loop wont really be pushed and temps wont be high anyway. When you are gaming and you got your headphones/headset on or whatever then sound isnt much of an issue and your temps will be higher so turning the fans up in this environment would benefit temps and noise wont bother you.

Another Idea, an Idea of mine that I am going to attempt to employ in my new build that I will start soon is a swicth. I want to wire up a rocker switch for a change to all my fans, I want the fans to able to switch from 7v to 12vs, that way if using 2500rpms I can cut them to about 1200 for normal use and for benching I can run them at 2500 with just the flip of a switch. My plan involves EK though
smile.gif
They need to release 140mm Vardars in grey (that are very high RPM) so we will see what happens. I may buy some and switch the blades around low rpm to the high rpm fan.

If no then what he said whatever you feel like living with sound wise.

• Rep+
Reactions: GusManB

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks Guys

I was planing to wire them directly to my PSU or through a ajustmint dial.
I am just a bet concerned about not putting to many fans on the MOBO Headers. And using them for my Pump and passive Cooling. So I think I would be leaning toward getting more 1850s

The 4 1850s on the Rad I have now are attached to an external bracket so if placed inside the new case they shuld be quiter
wink.gif

Cyber Locc, I would love to see a build Log of your Switch.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Thats a ridiculous number of fans, so no. How are you possibly utilizing that many fans and for what purpose? Is this some kind of wind tunnel experiment?
lachen.gif

·
Registered
129 Posts
No,

What I am doing is creating a Water Cooling Loop with TWO 480 Size Radiators. 8 Fans on both( in Push/ Pull Configuration.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts