Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
i need some help cause i need to change my case. I actually have a NZXT S340 that doesn’t work properly with my configuration:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600 @3.8Ghz
CPU cooler: Schythe Fuma
Mobo: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming-5
RAM: 2x8Gb TeamGroup DaP 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: XFX GTS RX580 8Gb
SSD: SanDisk Plus 240Gb
HDD: Toshiba P300 1Tb
PSU: Corsair RM650x
Case: NZXT S340 Black&Red
Fans: 4x Noctua Redux 1200 rpm.

I’m looking to lower the temperatures, and I need help on how to make the airflow work properly.
How can i do that? What kind of fans do you suggest to buy and which case should I use?

I would like to get a setup like the one in the following drawing – I need help to find the right fans and the right case for the situation.

Thank you!

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
My question is, why do you want this specific fan configuration?

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
Your case does not have very good airflow, but try this:

Mount 3x of the fans as front intakes and last one as rear exhaust.

Remove all PCIe back slot covers.

Set highest front fan on same fan curve as CPU.
Set lowest front fan on same fan curve as GPU
Set middle front fan on whichever of CPU or GPU runs hottest.
Set rear exhaust on whichever way CPU and GPU runs coolest.

You might find the guide linked below of interest. It is about how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

·
Gamer
548 Posts
Get something like the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG. Use the 2 included fans as front intake, your best fan on hand as rear exhaust, & don't worry with top fans.

You didn't give us enough information to know exactly what Noctua fans you're using, but if it's the S12B, those don't perform well in restrictive use cases. About the only place they'll work ok is on a rear exhaust. A filtered intake or a cpu cooler will be too restrictive for that fan design to work well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get something like the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG. Use the 2 included fans as front intake, your best fan on hand as rear exhaust, & don't worry with top fans.

You didn't give us enough information to know exactly what Noctua fans you're using, but if it's the S12B, those don't perform well in restrictive use cases. About the only place they'll work ok is on a rear exhaust. A filtered intake or a cpu cooler will be too restrictive for that fan design to work well.
Front intake: 2 x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM
Top intake: 1 x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM
Rear exhaust: 1 x Noctua Nf-S12B redux-1200 PWM

·
Gamer
548 Posts
Well, I'm glad to see that you're using the P14s for intake. They're definitely a better choice in that situation. Before you spend any money, try removing the top intake & rear exhaust altogether. See how it does with just the 2 intakes. The top fan mount on the S340 is poorly placed for an intake, & the S12B is undersized for the intake fans it's working with. Maybe also try using your 3rd P14s as a rear exhaust (still with no top fan), & see how it compares. If you're still not satisfied, then go for the less restrictive case.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
This. You can use the other three Redux to make a slim window fan.

The Pro M has significantly better airflow than the S340. Also, the included 140SP/MP hybrid fans will do a better job as intakes than your current Redux. No need for any fans up top.

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
Try what I suggest first. If that doesn't give you good enough temps then get something like Phanteks Enthoo Pro M

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
Try what I suggest first. If that doesn't give you good enough temps then get something like Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
The case can only take two, not three 140mm fans as intake. The front is absurdly restrictive, and the Redux completely wilt in that environment....as does almost any fan. It's just a really difficult case to get cool air into without it sounding like a vacuum cleaner.

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
The case can only take two, not three 140mm fans as intake. The front is absurdly restrictive, and the Redux completely wilt in that environment....as does almost any fan. It's just a really difficult case to get cool air into without it sounding like a vacuum cleaner.
|My recommendation is based on Ninety-five's opening post saying he is using 4x Noctua Redux 1200 rpm fans.

You are correct about the case only having a slot vent at top and bottom of front to supply airflow to front fans .. meaning top and bottom front fan grabs all air from top front vent and bottom fan grabs all the air from bottom front vent leaving no air going to middle front fan.

120mm Redux are rated 59.2cfm, 1.3mm H2O & 18.1dB(A) @ 1200rpm, so while not horrible fans also not great either. By comparison PH-F120MP are rated 53cfm, 1.66mm H20 & 25dB(A) @ 1600rpm, Fractal Design Venturi PWM are rated 6.14cfm, 2.3mm H2O & 31.7dB(A) @ 1800rpm, Silent Wings 3 are rated 50.5cfm, 1.79mm H2O and 16.4dB(A) @ 1450rpm and GTs are rated 46cfm, 1.3mm H2O & 19dB(A) @ 1450rpm and 58cfm, 2.0mm H2O & 26dB(A) @ 1850rpm

@ Ninety-five , maybe experiment with removing front cover so fans have better access to airflow and see how much difference that makes in component temps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm glad to see that you're using the P14s for intake. They're definitely a better choice in that situation. Before you spend any money, try removing the top intake & rear exhaust altogether. See how it does with just the 2 intakes. The top fan mount on the S340 is poorly placed for an intake, & the S12B is undersized for the intake fans it's working with. Maybe also try using your 3rd P14s as a rear exhaust (still with no top fan), & see how it compares. If you're still not satisfied, then go for the less restrictive case.
I can't install the 3rd P14 as rear exhaust cause the case doesn't support 140mm fans.

Is there an alternative of the Enthoo Pro M in this list? Cause it isn't available on Amazon atm.

1)Aerocool P7-C0
2)Anidees AI Crystal
3)Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 6
4)Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5
5)Corsair Crystal 460X
6)COUGAR Panzer
7)Fractal design Meshify C
8)Phanteks Eclipse P400S
9)SilverStone RL06

|My recommendation is based on Ninety-five's opening post saying he is using 4x Noctua Redux 1200 rpm fans.

You are correct about the case only having a slot vent at top and bottom of front to supply airflow to front fans .. meaning top and bottom front fan grabs all air from top front vent and bottom fan grabs all the air from bottom front vent leaving no air going to middle front fan.

120mm Redux are rated 59.2cfm, 1.3mm H2O & 18.1dB(A) @ 1200rpm, so while not horrible fans also not great either. By comparison PH-F120MP are rated 53cfm, 1.66mm H20 & 25dB(A) @ 1600rpm, Fractal Design Venturi PWM are rated 6.14cfm, 2.3mm H2O & 31.7dB(A) @ 1800rpm, Silent Wings 3 are rated 50.5cfm, 1.79mm H2O and 16.4dB(A) @ 1450rpm and GTs are rated 46cfm, 1.3mm H2O & 19dB(A) @ 1450rpm and 58cfm, 2.0mm H2O & 26dB(A) @ 1850rpm

@ Ninety-five , maybe experiment with removing front cover so fans have better access to airflow and see how much difference that makes in component temps.
I'm trying this in a couple of days. ;)

What are the right fans for front intake? High static pressure or airflow?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
You don't want static pressure or airflow......you want static pressure AND airflow.

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
I can't install the 3rd P14 as rear exhaust cause the case doesn't support 140mm fans.

Is there an alternative of the Enthoo Pro M in this list? Cause it isn't available on Amazon atm.

1)Aerocool P7-C0
2)Anidees AI Crystal
3)Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 6
4)Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5
5)Corsair Crystal 460X
6)COUGAR Panzer
7)Fractal design Meshify C
8)Phanteks Eclipse P400S
9)SilverStone RL06

I'm trying this in a couple of days. ;)

What are the right fans for front intake? High static pressure or airflow?
Before considering other cases how about you try a few thing with what you now have?

There are no 'airflow' fans and there are no 'static pressure' fans. Airflow is created by pressure differential. But basically higher static pressure rated fans will give us good airflow against resistance created by grills and filters where low static pressure rated fans will be overcome by the resistance resulting a very low airflow.

·
Gamer
548 Posts
I would avoid the following:
Anidees AI Crystal
Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 6
COUGAR Panzer
Phanteks Eclipse P400S
SliverStone RL06

All of those either have closed of front panels (which won't improve your situation) or limited clearance for tall CPU heatsinks (Your Fuma would fit, but you'd be limited if you changed it).

Of the ones you listed, I'd lean towards one of the following:
Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5
Fractal Design Meshify C

Both have mesh front panels, decent CPU cooler clearance, & decent interior layouts. If you are still interested in the Enthoo Pro M, it is available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRVHH6K/?tag=pcpapi-20

As stated previously though, don't spend money without first testing your current setup with the top intake fan removed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before considering other cases how about you try a few thing with what you now have?

There are no 'airflow' fans and there are no 'static pressure' fans. Airflow is created by pressure differential. But basically higher static pressure rated fans will give us good airflow against resistance created by grills and filters where low static pressure rated fans will be overcome by the resistance resulting a very low airflow.
I tried to:

- remove the frontal panel
- top fan switched to intake
- top fan switched to exhaust
- removed the top fan
- removed the rear fan

And nothing changed. After 5 mins in-game the GPU reaches 180°F/82°C

I would avoid the following:
Anidees AI Crystal
Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 6
COUGAR Panzer
Phanteks Eclipse P400S
SliverStone RL06

All of those either have closed of front panels (which won't improve your situation) or limited clearance for tall CPU heatsinks (Your Fuma would fit, but you'd be limited if you changed it).

Of the ones you listed, I'd lean towards one of the following:
Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5
Fractal Design Meshify C

Both have mesh front panels, decent CPU cooler clearance, & decent interior layouts. If you are still interested in the Enthoo Pro M, it is available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRVHH6K/?tag=pcpapi-20

As stated previously though, don't spend money without first testing your current setup with the top intake fan removed.
On Amazon.it isn't available - or it's overpriced. Any alternative?

What about the new Cooler Master h500 with mesh panel?

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
I tried to:

- remove the frontal panel
- top fan switched to intake
- top fan switched to exhaust
- removed the top fan
- removed the rear fan

And nothing changed. After 5 mins in-game the GPU reaches 180°F/82°C

On Amazon.it isn't available - or it's overpriced. Any alternative?

What about the new Cooler Master h500 with mesh panel?
Enthoo Pro M acrylic window $92.19 comes with 2x PH-F140MP like fans. Use them as front intakes.
https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Acr...TF8&qid=1530819311&sr=1-6&keywords=enthoo+pro

You could buy something like
Fractal Design Meshify $79.99
https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Desi...qid=1530818397&sr=8-2&keywords=fractal+design

But it would need new case fans like 2-pack of PH-F140MP fans for front intakes. $32.95 meaning it would cost more than Enthoo Pro M that comes with good fans.
https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-PH-...UTF8&qid=1530819049&sr=1-2&keywords=ph-f140mp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts