Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok currently i have a Noctua D14 with two noctua Fans in this case cooling an over clocked core i7. I think my case setup and or heat sink setup is all wack.

The side panel fan is sucking air in, top fan is blowing it out, Front fan sucking in and back fan blowing out. My noctua heat sink fans are sucking air from the bottom and blowing it out (up) against the top fan which is blowing down..thats a problem and i know that.

I also have the memory fans attached (not sure if they are doing anything or not ) or if they are decreasing overall airflow in the system.

Any recommendations or reconfiguring my setup for lower temps please?

btw i cant rotate the noctua horizontally bc of the NB heatsink, atleast i dont think it will clear anyways..

thanks
LL

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynkdev View Post
Ok currently i have a Noctua D14 with two noctua Fans in this case cooling an over clocked core i7. I think my case setup and or heat sink setup is all wack.

The side panel fan is sucking air in, top fan is blowing it out, Front fan sucking in and back fan blowing out. My noctua heat sink fans are sucking air from the bottom and blowing it out (up) against the top fan which is blowing down..thats a problem and i know that.

I also have the memory fans attached (not sure if they are doing anything or not ) or if they are decreasing overall airflow in the system.

Any recommendations or reconfiguring my setup for lower temps please?

btw i cant rotate the noctua horizontally bc of the NB heatsink, atleast i dont think it will clear anyways..

thanks
Can you post some idle and load temps using real temp pleae? Then we will go from there. PM me if you dont know what Im talking about.

·
Scrub since 2010
1,837 Posts
lets not forget not only the temps.. post your entire whole system specs please

If you are overclocked.. as well post the settings you are using too

*Oh also... if you have your Top 932 fan as Exhaust... then your Noctua must be the OTHER WAY around(originally looking at my heatsink because I have it too - its this way - LEFT TOWER<-140mm-RIGHT TOWER<-120mm )... in otherwords switch your Noctua position 180 degree around... making sure that both of the noctua fans must be pushing the air up... so that the air exits through the *Top 932 fan... that is probably causing you an odd ventilation in your case which is not proper for in case cooling

Since you will be re-seating the noctua... wipe the paste & re-apply it again

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok sorry, Real Temp indicates at idle all cores around 50 degrees with core 1 jumping sometimes between 55 and 60. At load all cores go up to 55 or so and sometimes core 1 and 4 jump up to 69 and back down..

My system specs,

Core I7 920 OC to 4.5ghz 215x21 in bios with 1.34v
EVGA E760-A1 Mobo with 6 Gigz corsair dominator GT 2000mhz 8-8-8-24 running at 6-6-6-18.
XFX HD 5970
PC power and cooling 1200 watt PSU
2 raptors raid 0 with WIN 7 on it
Seagate 1TB for storage.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i swapped the fans around now, didnt need to take off the heatsink. Im using artic MX-2 paste btw. I ran my performance test on windows 7 and my cpu under load was jumping up to mid 80's..lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sendblink23 View Post
lets not forget not only the temps.. post your entire whole system specs please

If you are overclocked.. as well post the settings you are using too

*Oh also... if you have your Top 932 fan as Exhaust... then your Noctua must be the OTHER WAY around(originally looking at my heatsink because I have it too - its this way - LEFT TOWER<-140mm-RIGHT TOWER<-120mm )... in otherwords switch your Noctua position 180 degree around... making sure that both of the noctua fans must be pushing the air up... so that the air exits through the *Top 932 fan... that is probably causing you an odd ventilation in your case which is not proper for in case cooling

Since you will be re-seating the noctua... wipe the paste & re-apply it again

Ok ,hero, I was going to go one step at a time, but go ahead and have at it. I had a reason for just wanting temps first. One step at a time tends to not overwhelm, But your the expert.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rac,

Im not trying to jump the gun here..Ive taken my heat sink off at first though after seeing the high temps to re apply the MX-2 after cleaning the surfaces for the cpu and heatsink. Ive been running my setup on the noctua ( backward fan config ) for about a year now lol with no idea till today i had it set up wrong.

I do see my temps dropping about a couple degrees or so but while under load they spike..

how do these temps look to you?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right now my idle temps with the corrected fan setup on my noctau and case are
core 1 53
core 2 51
core 3 52
core 4 47

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
A lot of people are gonna tell you that idle temps don't matter, it's the load temps that count. Anyway, I have the same case and the same cooler and never have any problem with my temps, even after I removed the fan on that side panel. I only OC mine to 3.8GHz tho.

Here's my setup:

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Oh, Reaper. Tha's beeautyfool.

OP: There is nothing wrong with a pull setup with the D14. Your initial setup was OK. Were your load temps OK?

If you want to optimize, cut out your rear grill and don't use a rear case exhaust. Set up your D14 in a pull configuration. The p12 in pull will act as a case exhaust (see item 2. in my sig).

Putting your D14 in push mode will only get you another degree or so. Try your RAM temps with and without those fans.

Also, if you're using DDR3 Dominators you can remove the top combs on the RAM sticks that are actually under the fin stack.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper~
View Post

A lot of people are gonna tell you that idle temps don't matter, it's the load temps that count. Anyway, I have the same case and the same cooler and never have any problem with my temps, even after I removed the fan on that side panel. I only OC mine to 3.8GHz tho.

Here's my setup:

Yah i agree with you on the 100%, my load temps spike up to the 82 range when running 3dmark on the system. Its even high enough to drop the multiplier from 21 to 20 and only give me 4.2 ghz after the test..games and everything else run fine at 4.5 though.

You got a very clean setup too btw, i like.

Quote:

OP: There is nothing wrong with a pull setup with the D14. Your initial setup was OK. Were your load temps OK?

If you want to optimize, cut out your rear grill and don't use a rear case exhaust. Set up your D14 in a pull configuration. The p12 in pull will act as a case exhaust (see item 2. in my sig).

Putting your D14 in push mode will only get you another degree or so. Try your RAM temps with and without those fans.

Also, if you're using DDR3 Dominators you can remove the top combs on the RAM sticks that are actually under the fin stack.

load temps hit max 82 on the cores under load. Are you saying for me to rotate the heat sink horizontally instead of vertically? I cant do that because of the north bridge? heat sink being too high, at least i remember trying it that way when i first got the D14 and it wouldnt go flush to the pase because of the fins hitting the NB. I will try that again though along with removing the fins from the ram sticks and see how that goes, i also like your method of removing the back grill/fan sounds interesting. I also might buy some custom fans for the top and sides..

thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
err sorry im an idiot, haha reaper has the same mobo, looks like i can def rotate the heatsink..

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume
View Post

Heh, thanks. That pic was taken right after I cleaned up my rig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynkdev
View Post

err sorry im an idiot, haha reaper has the same mobo, looks like i can def rotate the heatsink..

Actually you have the E760 Classified (I have the same board on my other rig) and the one you saw in that pic is E757 X58 SLI LE. The NB heatsink on the E757 sits a little lower than the one on Classified.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh, kewl. Well i can only try to rotate it again and see what happens. Pretty sure that damn NB heat sink will hinder my go at it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thanks, yah i was going to try it tomorrow sometime. I wonder if they make a custom NB heat sink for this mobo that i can swap it out with and make it fit..time to start researching. thanks for the help again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts