Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently gotten into OCing and am fuzzy on a few things due to lack of experience.

I've OC'ed my 3.0g P4 to 3.5g with solid stability (233x15) and have "burn-in" with SISandra to make sure with temps never topping ~55C and idling at ~31C.

Here come the complication; my memory bandwidth efficiency is 29% and I only make ~2150 mb/s bandwidth because of it. Lowered latency times didn't do much (+0-2%). I'm wondering, is it my crap assed motherboard that's killing my efficiency or my crap ass memory? Both? Right now I'd kill for the extra 30% efficiency and pull ~4000 mb/s.

Help the n00b.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ok fill out your system specs under user cp....its way easier to look at than what u have writtin above... and yes it sounds like it could be you memory or mobo..

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that, I was doing it as you posted.

I figured as much. It's never an easy fix is it?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
never...but thats expected in the computer realm...u get used to it after a while, i used to flip out when someting didnt work when i was younger just getting into computers... but ya w/e

PS: did u go to "USERCP" (under the overclock.net logo at the top of the web page) and fill out the system specs? or did u just type it in on the thread?lol

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Go into your BIOS and memory settings and look for something to the extent of memory frequency or ratio and make sure it's set to either 400MHz (if that's the highest, otherwise 200 if its the highest) or 1:1.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allow me to reproduce my question from another (unhelpful) board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by me

I've got a question. I'm relatively new to overclocking and have recently had some "issues" with it. I overclocked my CPU from 3.0 to 3.5 with good stability but if I ever push the memory/cpu frequency to 1:1 my computer freaks out and I must clear the bios. I set the memory latency back to the 2.5-4-4-6 it started with and tried the 1:1 again which forced me to clear the bios again.

SISandra gives me a memory bandwidth efficiency of only 29% at best 27% at worst. It tells me to lower the latency which has only moved it up a few % and has made the system shaky.

The memory is two sticks of 512 mg OCZ PC3200. PC3200 is supposed to have a frequency rating of 400mhz yet when ever I push it past 200mhz with the 1:1 ratio it crashes? Should I be contacting OCZ and complaining? Is it my motherboard that's so terrible? Should I be complaining to how made that?

My friend ran SISandra on his 768 (512/256) mb and found 78% efficiency and a memory bandwidth slightly better than mine. By my calculations if I could at least bring mine to 60% (a low expectation) I'd have ~4300 mb/s bandwidth instead of my miserable ~2100. How do I do this?

* If needed: I'm running 233x15 = ~3.5 instead of the 200X15 = 3.0. Since my ram runs at a 6:5 ratio it's FSB is effectively changed to 194. If I push it to 1:1 the memory reaches 233 and will not boot. I returned the FSB to 200 and set at 1:1 to get a memory speed of 200 which also crashed it.

I'm running a slightly outdated Phoenix BIOS.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well that's why your RAM efficiency is so low then. Loosen the timings, put more voltage into and it should clock a little higher, but you can't have memory bandwidth if the RAM is running underclocked and asynchronously.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here comes the n00b-ness. How... from what I see in my BIOS there is no manual adjustment for the voltage to the memory. I'm terrified of flashing my BIOS for fear it will fail. I appreciate the help.

(So far any latency decrease hasn't done much to the efficiency.)

SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results
RAM Bandwidth Int Buff'd iSSE2 : 2148 MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buff'd iSSE2 : 2156 MB/s
Results Interpretation : Higher index values are better.

Int Buff'd iSSE2 (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 2211MB/s
Scaling : 2196MB/s
Addition : 2081MB/s
Triad : 2105MB/s
Data Item Size : 16 byte(s)
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 29% (estimated)

Float Buff'd iSSE2 (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 2221MB/s
Scaling : 2207MB/s
Addition : 2085MB/s
Triad : 2113MB/s
Data Item Size : 16 byte(s)
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 29% (estimated)

Performance Test Status
Run ID : SCOTTS on Friday, January 13, 2006 at 1:36:12 AM
Memory Used by Test : 512MB
NUMA Support : No
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
Multi-Core Test : No
SMT Test : Yes
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : P0C0T0
Page Size : 4kB
Use Large Memory Pages : No

Chipset 1
Model : Elitegroup Computer Sys SiS661FX CPU to PCI Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 234MHz (936MHz data rate)
Width : 64-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 7488MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
Bank 0 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-4-4-6 2CMD
Bank 1 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-4-4-6 2CMD
Channels : 1
Width : 64-bit

Features
(W)MMX Technology : Yes
SSE Technology : Yes
SSE2 Technology : Yes
SSE3 Technology : Yes
HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : Yes

Performance Tips
Warning 5400 : Low bandwidth efficiency (advanced). Check memory timings and settings.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay. I reset my memory timings to 3-5-5-9 (the highest my bios allow) and was able to run 1:1 up to around 220 FSB OCing while stable. I bench marked with a grand ol' ~50mb/s bandwidth increase, an 0.2 ghz (3.3) decrease in processor speed and an increase of a whopping 2% efficiency. I'm sure a voltage boost would help but my BIOS don't allow for it.

Sorry for the double post.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Ok, gonna throw a couple things out there. First off, bench it totally default, and I mean BIOS "load optimized" or standard defaults. If the bandwidth is still low then, then I can only think it's a either crappy RAM, crappy chipset, or some combination of both. If the bandwidth does go up after loading defaults, don't touch the RAM timings. Refresh rates can have a huge impact on bandwidth, so don't change that. Also, while at stock, if it's not set by default, trying setting the RAM command rate to 1T (it'll be either 1T already or 2T). That should also yeild a nice increase in bandwidth. Secondly, does your motherboard supposrt dual channel RAM? I would think it would since it supports 800MHz FSB chips, but your RAM is running in single channel, so check your manual and make sure you have the RAM in the right slots to activate dual channel.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. I've run it on "fail-safe" (read: stock) before, and it also had crappy bandwidth.

Dual channel: I don't believe it does. It's a cheapy complete with APG 8x. I only have two DIMM slots anyhow so I couldn't possibly get them wrong.

Time for my dirty secret; this computer was originally a pre-fab from Fry's. At first, all I wanted was something with a decent processor and an AGP 8x or PCI-e for a video card. Then I got the computer nerd fever and here I am, a case, power source, a gig of RAM and video card later wanting to OC and play some of the "hotter" games. So I have a crappy pre-fab type of MoBo a decent processor and a terrible bandwidth bottleneck holding me back. Looks like I'll be buying a set of PC4000 1-gig OCZ Golds and hope it's not the chipset.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree, but my dirty secret forces me into the new MoBo PLUS Windows option instead of just a new MoBo. If I have to get a new MoBo I'll get one as a last resort... damn Bill Gates.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Oh yes the XP activation, you can ring up and do that just tell em you hard drive failed, remember to back up all your data tho

A new mobo would give your CPU and RAM a new lease of life, skt478 is still good for quite a while yet so a good cheap abit mobo would be ace

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good idea with one flaw...

If my hard drive fails on a licensed version all I have is a miserable format/pcdoctor BS disc, not an install disc. Any idiot could think that one out fast enough to catch the lie.

Pardon my n00bness if I'm wrong about anything.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hmm your stuck between a rock and a hard place there lol, the only advice there is to see if you can find a cheap copy on ebay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts