Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i got an intel D865PERL and a 3.0Ghz processor. Im quite new to overclocking but i get the basics.
In the BIOS i can increase my FSB 4% maximum and no more??? is there any way i can increase the FSB or Even unlock the multiplier?
would i need to change any voltages ?

thanx guys

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
actually, intel motherboards are really bad at overclocking, u wont get very far. u cant chnge alot of settings, and there isnt any option to change multis, but thats on all intels. if u want to overclock very far, ure going to have to change your mobo

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what mobo would u guys recommend and processor? i want a really well overclockable processor and mobo and if u can a good CHEAP water cooler that could go along with it.. thanks very much rep points will be awarded

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could i keep my current processor and use the DFI lanparty?
how much approx would it cost?? in USD

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mPGA478
yeah tahts awesome and with that board, how much u reckon i could overclock it using my current processor

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwEaK_MoNkeY
mPGA478
yeah tahts awesome and with that board, how much u reckon i could overclock it on the Ic7-g?
with good cooling say a thermaltake tower112, i think you could hit 3.7 but it could be more or it could be less, thats just the way things are in this game...
you will need to get some macho ram to reach those speeds though...

im off to bed though...
Good luck

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The best 2 motherboards for 478 are the Asus p4c800-e Deluxe or the Abit Ic7-Max3

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
to keep up with the processor speed the ram will need what memory timings?

currently set at 7-3-3-3

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

oh yeah or you could ask Gibant1...

Sup anthony you just waking up???

tell the rest of the UK crew i said whats up when they get up..

sup spooked, haha I'd just woke up after 3 days without sleep, I finally got some. I now dont have to cowar away from light sources.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

with good cooling say a thermaltake tower112, i think you could hit 3.7 but it could be more or it could be less, thats just the way things are in this game...
you will need to get some macho ram to reach those speeds though...

im off to bed though...
Good luck

what does he mean by macho ram??? tweaking memory timings?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwEaK_MoNkeY
what does he mean by macho ram??? tweaking memory timings?
Too hit 3.7 your f.s.b. is going to have to be running at near 500Mhz DDR500 if you want to maintain a 1:1 ratio (you do).

e.g. If your F.s.b. was 250Mhz x 15 (your multiplier) would give you a 3.75Ghz O/C. Your ram would be double the f.s.b. 2 x 250 = 500Mhz.

If you dont have DDR500 you have to use a divider which seriously affects performance.

Loosening your timingsto 3 4 4 8 will help a little. What type of memory have you got?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
^^ I agree with Gibant. With some decent watercooling you should be able to hi 250fsb, or 3.75ghz pretty easily. You should go with a 1 gig of PC4000 ram, 2 sticks of 512mb for dual channel. That will allow you to run the fsb and memory at the same speed, which greatly enhances performance with Intels. And as the others stated, your Intel mobo just doesnt have the options for overclocking. I would recommend an Abit IC7 series, i.e. IC7, IC7-G, or IC7-Max 3. The Asus P4P800 and P4C800 are very good boards also. DFI also has some very good oc'ing boards as well. Stick to one of those 3 brands, getting a board that has either the 865 or 875 chipset and you should be good to go. What is your price range so that we can help you find something?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibant1

Too hit 3.7 your f.s.b. is going to have to be running at near 500Mhz DDR500 if you want to maintain a 1:1 ratio (you do).

e.g. If your F.s.b. was 250Mhz x 15 (your multiplier) would give you a 3.75Ghz O/C. Your ram would be double the f.s.b. 2 x 250 = 500Mhz.

If you dont have DDR500 you have to use a divider which seriously affects performance.

Loosening your timingsto 3 4 4 8 will help a little. What type of memory have you got?

i got DDR400Mhz
2x256mg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

^^ I agree with Gibant. With some decent watercooling you should be able to hi 250fsb, or 3.75ghz pretty easily. You should go with a 1 gig of PC4000 ram, 2 sticks of 512mb for dual channel. That will allow you to run the fsb and memory at the same speed, which greatly enhances performance with Intels. And as the others stated, your Intel mobo just doesnt have the options for overclocking. I would recommend an Abit IC7 series, i.e. IC7, IC7-G, or IC7-Max 3. The Asus P4P800 and P4C800 are very good boards also. DFI also has some very good oc'ing boards as well. Stick to one of those 3 brands, getting a board that has either the 865 or 875 chipset and you should be good to go. What is your price range so that we can help you find something?

lando lol i am getting the IC7 Max3 ordered in soon give it a week, (gotta sell some stuff on ebay to get the money
)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts