Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Guys, It's UPGRADE TIME
And I'm looking to GO BIG OR GO HOME!

My Q6600 & 8800GTX rig was a beast and still ticks on very well for its age... But I'm dying of reading about all the latest and greatest stuff and not giving in, so I think it's about time.

My Plan:

strip some pieces from my current rig, ebay/Craigslist/kijiji the whole tower with water cooling loop and everything, and get rid of it...

And den?????

Move on Up

My Planned Build so far:

Evga Classified SR-2 - $600
2x Xeon X5650s - $2051 LAUNCHED TODAY W00T!
GTX480 - $500
12GB G.Skill Pi DDR3 1600 - $370.98
2x D-Tek FuZion V1s with Quad Nozzles - 1/2 Obtained, ~$30/ea
2x Nafljhy Brass Mounts for the FuZions - Have 1, will get another
Iwaki Pump For CPU Loop - bought for $200 from CD
D5 Vario for GPU Loop - have
Detroit Thermo D5 Top with DD Fatty Barbs - Have
Masterkleer 7/16" tubing for GPU Loop - Have
1/2" Tygon Tubing for CPU Loop
Scythe S-Flex 1900RPM Fans In Push/Pull on all Radiators - $11.66/ea
Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU - $361.80
OCZ Vertex 32GB Drive For Booting until SATA3 Is better adapted in SSDs - Bought for $95

Need some help on Radiators with Size, Brands, Etc. Also need help on Case, I'll need a new case to house the mother of a MoBo will be the SR-2. I'd also like opinions on Reservoirs, coolant, biocide, etc...

SO far All I know is that this is what I want, I may start with a single CPU and expand, dependant on my budget. I also know that the Motherboard is an odd size, like E-ATX and then some... Mountain mods is working on a case/tray for it... I may get a UFO case and have all the water cooling internal if thats the case...

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, It'll be costly, but my current rig is falling behind the front lines... I'm practically 2 generations behind...

I skipped the 9XXX series, and the GTX2XX series in GPUs
and I skipped i3/i5/i7

So, I want to be bleeding edge again

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am View Post
Need some help on Radiators with Size, Brands, Etc. Also need help on Case, I'll need a new case to house the mother of a MoBo will be the SR-2. I'd also like opinions on Reservoirs, coolant, biocide, etc...
Wait for the HAF-X or the mentioned Mountain Mods setup for the case; if you can't wait, Lian Li PC-P80 Armorsuit.

As for reservoirs, since you want to go big or go home, ask FrozenQ to make something severely epic for you.

Radiators; again, as you want to go big or go home, Black Ice GTX 360 or up, depending on the case. Coolant/biocide, distilled with PT Nuke or silver coil.

I can't wait for pics of when you do this...

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
Wait for the HAF-X or the mentioned Mountain Mods setup for the case; if you can't wait, Lian Li PC-P80 Armorsuit.

As for reservoirs, since you want to go big or go home, ask FrozenQ to make something severely epic for you.

Radiators; again, as you want to go big or go home, Black Ice GTX 360 or up, depending on the case. Coolant/biocide, distilled with PT Nuke or silver coil.

I can't wait for pics of when you do this...

lol I'm tired of waiting for all the hardware to get released/announced lol, I've been waiting on i9 as my next upgrade path FOREVER lol...

I was thinking a Fesser Xchanger Series of Radiators, something like a 480 for the CPUs, unless I can track down a Fesser Monsta 480
<- honestly if anyone has one/a lead on one at a reasonable price, PM me

and I was just looking @ Tygon Silver tubing, but it's not see-through
And I'm not sure On a UV/lighting scheme for the Case, as I haven't even picked on yet lol...

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Well, when you toss some 38mm fans into the equation, Black Ice GTX rads are unrivaled even by Feser. Plus Hardware Labs is really good about not leaving much (if any) flux to clean out, unlike Thermochill.

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I do currently use a GTX360 Rad, and I have had no issues with it, but I do like the look of the Fessers and the ability to bleed them...

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am View Post
Well I do currently use a GTX360 Rad, and I have had no issues with it, but I do like the look of the Fessers and the ability to bleed them...
I'd just carry it over, then. With the right fans it'll handle both CPUs and a GPU, all overclocked. There should even be enough headroom to put the chipset or nF200s under, too. Plus that's another hundred-and-something dollars to put toward something else.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Don't forget some fancy new and BIG LCDs
Say 2 or 3 23"+ (basically 1920x1200/1080 monitors)
You will definitely be on the top for a while....

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
I'd just carry it over, then. With the right fans it'll handle both CPUs and a GPU, all overclocked. There should even be enough headroom to put the chipset or nF200s under, too. Plus that's another hundred-and-something dollars to put toward something else.

dude, you seriously think, a GTX360 Radiator will be enough to fend off 24 overclocked threads folding 24/7 and a GTX480? Noone even has any real thermal data on any of this stuff as it's all still just hitting/getting to market...

If there is a Sexxy NB/SB Waterblock I'll probably put it in the CPU Loop before the CPUs.

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lxcivic2k1
View Post

Don't forget some fancy new and BIG LCDs
Say 2 or 3 23"+ (basically 1920x1200/1080 monitors)
You will definitely be on the top for a while....

I purchased dual 23" 16:9s last week, they're supposed to arrive today

one of my old 19"s died

EDIT: double post, my bad

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am
View Post

dude, you seriously think, a GTX360 Radiator will be enough to fend off 24 overclocked threads folding 24/7 and a GTX480? Noone even has any real thermal data on any of this stuff as it's all still just hitting/getting to market...

It's enough to comfortably hold down an overclocked Core i7 and 2 GTX275s, so I'd think so, yes. To be safe, though, I'd leave the chipset and bridges air-cooled.

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

It's enough to comfortably hold down an overclocked Core i7 and 2 GTX275s, so I'd think so, yes. To be safe, though, I'd leave the chipset and bridges air-cooled.

but this is why I want to go dual loop
GPU on a single smaller loop CPUs on another, I mean the iwaki pump will push water through anything... it practically accelerates osmosis...So It's not an issue of head flow/restriction... it'll be more so an issue of heat output from the board & CPUs...

·
Beyond
4,493 Posts
I concur.

Congrats, that will be an amazing upgrade. I didn't know EVGA made or maybe will make a dual socket enthusiast board. For those that don't know since it hasn't even been released yet, the Xeon L5640 is a Gulftown Hexa Core.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am
View Post

but this is why I want to go dual loop
GPU on a single smaller loop CPUs on another, I mean the iwaki pump will push water through anything... it practically accelerates osmosis...So It's not an issue of head flow/restriction... it'll be more so an issue of heat output from the board & CPUs...

Well if you're so worried about it, get a GTX480 and down the line you can even add a second GTX480.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben the OCer
View Post

Congrats, that will be an amazing upgrade. I didn't know EVGA made or maybe will make a dual socket enthusiast board. For those that don't know, the Xeon L5640 is a 2.26GHz Gulftown Hexa Core.

You've been quite out of the loop, hm?
This is what he'll be getting (and FYI, yes, there will be SATA 6.0Gbps and USB 3.0 on it):

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben the OCer
View Post

I concur.

Congrats, that will be an amazing upgrade. I didn't know EVGA made or maybe will make a dual socket enthusiast board. For those that don't know, the Xeon L5640 is a 2.26GHz Gulftown Hexa Core.

Yes, it's the cheapest Hexacore Xeon I could find, it has Dual QPi, so it will work in the SR-2

and there, now Chunky has posted a pic of the Sexxy board
mmmmmmmm

·
Pew Pew
1,102 Posts
Sweet lord you can host a server for us while you play...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts