Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just finished putting togeather my first build, but when i boot up for the first time nothing is comming up on the monitor. I'm confused, and not sure what to do. The manual says my bios should pop up within 30sec but nothing is happening. The system is beeping though, a long beep followed by two short beeps. I went back and checked, and everything is hoked up the right way. I'm stumped any suggestions?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Check the RAM... is it DDR2? Are the voltages correct for the board?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah they're correct. the manufacturer tested it and said it works

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
ASUS boards are known to not give the DDR2 enough voltage to run at first, especially DDR 800. Find some lower clocked DDR2, put it in, change the voltage in the BIOS, and then put your ram back in. This has happened twice to someone I know. The long-short-short is the universal code for memory error.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any way to do it if i don't have any ddr2 mem on hand?<br>
if i need it i can just get a regular 512 ddr2 right?

·
Registered
574 Posts
You cannot get into BIOS without functioning RAM... as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
There is a *chance* that you will be able to get into the bios if you use different memory combinations. Use 1 stick, then two, and then mix them around in the slots. Clearing the CMOS after every try may work too. This is very un-scientific, but I am speaking from experience here......

·
Registered
574 Posts
Are you in SLi? Have you tried just one card at a time (if you are). It *might* be the video card or video ram. Those beeps are *usually* RAM indicators.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>stevemc</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Are you in SLi? Have you tried just one card at a time (if you are). It *might* be the video card or video ram.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
Sig only says 1 card.....

• Rep+
Reactions: SiNiSt3r

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>bdattilo</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">There is a *chance* that you will be able to get into the bios if you use different memory combinations. Use 1 stick, then two, and then mix them around in the slots. Clearing the CMOS after every try may work too. This is very un-scientific, but I am speaking from experience here......</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
thanks i was reading something like that when i googled my prob but it wasn't very clear. that the only reason i asked the question. thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had that same beep error code the other day, what the previous users said is correct.<br>
It means memory error, and you'll probably have to clear your CMOS and then experiment to find the faulty stick (if it is that), or else (as was already said), it's just a bad setup in the mobo.... But clearing CMOS should alleviate that for you.

• Rep+
Reactions: SiNiSt3r

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got it thanks for the help! rep+ around

1 - 13 of 13 Posts