Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think thats the right socket number, if not im sure u know which one I'm talking about.

Anyway to the point I'm looking to oc my cpu. Right now I did it pretty simpy just increased the fsb while keeping everything else the same, stock was 2200 i have it up now to 2440 with idles at around 40c, loads at around 45c, and gaming at around 50c, i hope thats not too hot. I tried to fiddle with ram timings, but putting even 1T timing with my Corsair ValueSelect ram(2x 512mb) makes it come up with an error message saying I should repair windows using the bootdisk. So I'm wondering if its worth it to get Corsair XMS ram to replace my valueselect, would I notice the speed difference? Also I think theres some kind of connection between the ram and the cpu that when balanced leads to fastest performance, I'm not quite sure on how that works though. Just basicly I need help.

Thanks in advance!

·
Professional Lurker
74 Posts
First things first, getting ram that is made for overclocking will obviously take to overclocking better. What you might want to figure out is whether it's yer ram giving you errors, or whether there's something else making your system unstable (heat, improper voltage, etc).

About the ram/cpu relation as far as speed goes, the lower your clock multiplier, the more efficent it will be at doing what it does, what that does mean, is that you have to have a higher fsb to get the same speed with a lower multiplier, than you would a slower fsb and higher multiplier.

-Aaron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it will take to overclocking better, I wanna know if I'll actually be able to notice the difference though. I'm not sure what makes it unstable since I cant e ven boot to windows, it goes to the windows boot screen then immediatly says theres something wrong with my system files and I should repair windows, this always happens immediatly after changing to 1T timing in the bios. Is there a guide for the whole multiplier/fsb speed thing, does it have anything to really do with the ram cause u didnt mention it. Also what about my temps, are they ok?

·
Packet Pusher
2,317 Posts
Hi Buddybot111! If you could take 5 minutes of your time and fill out your system specs, it would greatly help us help you! Also, please be sure to browse the FAQ section for info on this subject. I found everything I needed by either browsing the FAQs or using the Search option. Good luck and happy OC'ing!

·
Packet Pusher
2,317 Posts
Quote:

So I'm wondering if its worth it to get Corsair XMS ram to replace my valueselect, would I notice the speed difference?

Answer: Yes. Also look into Crucial, OCZ, and Geil brands as they all offer excellent products.

Quote:

idles at around 40c, loads at around 45c, and gaming at around 50c

Answer: Rule of thumb is to stay 50 or below.

Quote:

Also I think theres some kind of connection between the ram and the cpu that when balanced leads to fastest performance

Indeed there is! Now with Athlon 64 CPUs there is also the HT multiplier to take into consideration. Also, varying voltages (via BIOS) can help/mess up your overclock potential. I strongly suggest looking at the faqs for this.

Here's a couple to get you started:

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/31208-...hlon+overclock

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/16745-...hlon+overclock

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/12003-...hlon+overclock

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Also keep in mind that 754 only overclocks well 1:1 with one stick of ram. Two is just too much for single chanel.

·
Packet Pusher
2,317 Posts
I haven't had any troubles with my 2x512MB on my 754 (in my specs). I understand dual channel will obviously perform better as there is more bandwidth available. But as far as 2 sticks is concerned, I was not aware that it hindered you on a 754 mobo.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade5399

I haven't had any troubles with my 2x512MB on my 754 (in my specs). I understand dual channel will obviously perform better as there is more bandwidth available. But as far as 2 sticks is concerned, I was not aware that it hindered you on a 754 mobo.

It vaires from the motherboard to the cpu used but if you have 2 sticks of double sided ram at 200Mhz you are already running out of spec. Socket 754 is only rated for two double sided sticks at 166Mhz but I have seen a select few setups that will go faster... but 200Mhz is really pushing it. The reason for all this is signal degradation across multiple slots. And raising voltages didn't seem to help. Here is the chart... it's hosted on a gigabyte website but AMD made it. http://us.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...q_amdguide.jpg

·
Packet Pusher
2,317 Posts
This is most likely why he may be having 1T troubles. And you're correct, only some mobos work well with 2 sticks of double sided (mine seeming to be one of them, whew!). So going with the single stick of good memory may be the way to go. Buddy, to be sure, verify with your mobo makers site as to what mem config you should be running. Thanks for the info fishie!

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade5399

This is most likely why he may be having 1T troubles. And you're correct, only some mobos work well with 2 sticks of double sided (mine seeming to be one of them, whew!). So going with the single stick of good memory may be the way to go. Buddy, to be sure, verify with your mobo makers site as to what mem config you should be running. Thanks for the info fishie!

No problem. The reason I know so much about it is because I actually bought a third stick and was pulling my hair out over why I couldn't go over 133Mhz. That was back when I had my GA-K8NS pro though, which is one of the select few 754 motherboards that can run two sticks full speed. I will be selling it soon if anyone is interested you can PM me. Also about the 1T... most 754 cpu's will not allow 2T. Mine is one of those. I was told they just don't support 2T in any way shape or form.

EDIT: and yes, one stick is definately the way to go. That way you will be able to run DDR 400 and still have room to overclock. Just because your mobo can handle 2 sticks at DDR 400 doesn't mean it will overclock well at all... in fact it will probably barely overclock if at all.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
With that cpu, you should expect 2.6 as max overclock. Newcastles dont OC that well. As far as your memory, it's best to get a sinlge 1Gig stick versus 2. Socket 754 does not support dual channel, and 2 sticks will limit your memory overclock.
My corsair value ran 220 with one stick, 2 sticks drops the performance.
You should try these settings..

250 x 10
HTT x 3
Vcore 1.55-1.6
Memory timings 2.5-3-3-7 (1T)
Memory voltage 2.8
Memory divider 166 (333)

If you dont understand these settings, read an overclocking guide..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok a few problems, first of all I used the settings u gave me and got the repair windows error, Im assuming its because of the 1T timing(im still using 2 sticks of 512mb cause I dont want to use just one 512mb im sure thatll be really piss poor performance even if it is oced)

Next is the memory voltage 2.8v is under the msi red indicater for highly unstable and not recommended so I used 2.7 which is under yellow for high performance.

Thanks for the info on the 1T timing though guys, does this mean it would be a big waste to get the Corsair XMS because that uses dual channel and if my cpu doesnt support dual channel then im guessing it loses most of the reason to get the higher performing ram.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
repairing windows does nothing, iv tried reformatting which is even better and that doesnt work either. All repair does is replace your system files with the wincd system files nothing fancy going on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts