Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , i got this pretty old cpu/PC and i want to overclock as much as i can, so help me as simple as can since i can't understand oc settings in bios by my self. Thanks in advance

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ / Brisbane / 940 / 2200MHz Stock CPU
Hyper T4 cpu cooler
ALiveXFire-eSATA2 MOTHERBOARD
1 x 2GB PC2-6400 Apacer RAM
2 x 1GB PC2-6400 Apacer RAM
GT 220 1GB Graphic card
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
21 Posts
If your confused with overclocking, the 2 main settings you need to look at are the CPU base clock, which should be at 100-200 MHz @ stock, and the CPU multiplier. Try and focus on the multiplier more. The method I use is:
1. Bump up the multiplier by x1 in the BIOS, for example, say the multiplier is at 22x, change it to 23x.
2. Save changes
3. Test for 10-15 mins in Prime95
4. If it's stable during Prime95, restart and repeat
That usually works for me
If you can't get any higher, try putting the voltage and base clock up.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Max CPU multiplier is x11 and cpu frq is 200 default, so i start with lowest multiplier and raising cpu frq ?

·
FX-5000
974 Posts
You will raise Cpu bus frequency (200). You will need to lower Memory NB and HT multipliers as well as raise cpu voltage.

Start simple with small increments. 202 , 204 ect.

Also interested in knowing the stepping.... Is it G2?

Any who, with a little tweaking here and there, should be good for about 2.8 - 3.0ghz.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Follow what the post above me said. If 11x is the max multiplier up the FSB little by little. Eventually you'll have to up the voltage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i follow the steps and i manage to get stable 2.5/2,7 but ended up with failure gpu... it doesn't work anymore :\

·
FX-5000
974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanevski View Post

i follow the steps and i manage to get stable 2.5/2,7 but ended up with failure gpu... it doesn't work anymore :\
Overclocking Cpu has no direct reflection to the GPU. It was just time the Video card died.

I am sorry.
frown.gif

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:

I didn't see where you tested the GPU in another system to confirm it as "Dead" sooooo......

One thing it could be is the board simply isn't POST'ing because it cannot boot based on the BIOS settings currently stored.
Sometimes when this happens you'll see the system powerup but nothing appears on the screen as if the GPU died/ blank screen.

Resetting the BIOS will allow it to boot again in that case, simply removing the battery from the board for at least one minute should do it provided the GPU really isn't dead. If it doesn't work after that you'd probrably need to remove the battery again and leave it out for a little longer, probrably an hour to be sure since most boards will clear the BIOS after just one minute without the battery in place.

Be sure ALL POWER to the board is off after removing the battery including manually switching off the PSU by it's switch or simply unplugging the system from the wall outlet. As long as any power is getting to it, the board will retain these settings instead of clearing them. Once ready to restart, first insert the battery and then restore power to the system.

Can't hurt to try it at this point.
redface.gif

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not that noob, im sure because i tried in another pc and its dead, also remove battery, swipe jumpers etc, anyway i want to know why my graphic card gone to heaven if i oc the mobo ,(change multiplier lower and increase cpu frq....) :\

·
FX-5000
974 Posts
Quote:

I'm not that noob, i want to know why my graphic card gone to heaven
because the card was released in 09' and the fans they put on those cards where garbage. Probably overheated and finally died. Pure coincidence.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
It went to heaven because it was a good graphics card. Bad ones go to pixel hell. You won't find a Rage Fury MAXX or any GeForce FX in heaven.

If you got six years out of a GT 220, you did very well. They were all cheaply built, and they were harvested silicon to begin with, and they were equipped with poor fannage. Just pick up a cheap card to replace it and carry on.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:

I'm not that noob, im sure because i tried in another pc and its dead, also remove battery, swipe jumpers etc, anyway i want to know why my graphic card gone to heaven if i oc the mobo ,(change multiplier lower and increase cpu frq....) :\
Thanks for clarifying you indeed tested it in another setup.

I agree with the others, it was simply that GPU's time to go - OC'ing the system should not have affected it.

·
486DX2 66
3,768 Posts
What are your goals for this system? Just looking for some practice overclocking or you want to make it more relevant?

If more relevant:

That motherboard can go all the way up to a Phenom II 965 BE (probably with a bios update)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/ALiveXFire-eSATA2/?cat=CPU

I've done builds with it before some years back, it wasn't too shabby. I had crossfire HD 5770s in it, though it needed a bios update before being able to work with 5xxx Radeon. You probably would have wanted to replace that old 220 anyway.. you can get any graphics card from the 2009 era for peanuts now (god that makes me sad.. 5870s were such beasts!)

It would still be a neat little performer with the right cheap & used parts, would handle the games I play just fine. Just make sure the PSU is up for it.

Also curious if that CPU is G1 or G2
thumb.gif
.. fire up CPU-Z and let us know!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was old build sitting in dust, i wanna put some steroids
biggrin.gif
, anyway this build is old 8 years i think it was time to go xD

·
486DX2 66
3,768 Posts
Never time for a PC to go, just get re purposed! I have far older machines still chugging. I still suggest finding yourself a used phenom II + Radeon HD 5XXX + 4-8 GB of some better DDR2 800 or 1066. OC the Phenom a bit and you have yourself a secondary gaming rig or HTPC for your living room. Wouldn't be the lowest on power draw but a pretty nice HTPC / living room gamer. I still have that exact hardware running in a machine that is used literally all the time in this house.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes true that, i was planing to get some cpu and better gpu and it will be gr8, but since i got dead gpu, will find some gpu to get work and give to my sister or smtng
rolleyes.gif

·
486DX2 66
3,768 Posts
Quote:

Yes true that, i was planing to get some cpu and better gpu and it will be gr8, but since i got dead gpu, will find some gpu to get work and give to my sister or smtng
rolleyes.gif
If you want to run a 5xxx radeon on it you may need a temporary graphics card to update the bios as it is. Always good to have a few random old gpus laying around.
thumb.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts