Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My system is as follows.

Tower casewith 450 watt supply
2 case fans and a graphic card exaust fan.
ASRock K8 Upgrade VM800 Mobo
Sempron 3400+ (754 socket) 2.0 mhz processor
AGP Radeon 9800 XT 256
2 x 1 gb DDR 3200 200 mhz x 2 - 400 mhz speed memory
80 gb ATA hard drive
16x LG DVD/CD RW

Now the problem i have is as follows: -

I have overclocked sucessfully the FSB to a multiplyer of 10 x 240 (increasing the voltage to 14.5) giving me a 2.4 ghz processor. However to do this i have had to set the memory Dim power to high and reduce the memory speed to 166 mhz (333 mhz) due to the fact that i have no memory devider option which i could then set at 5:4.

On these settings my processor is running 39deg idle and 44 deg on load; well within in tollerences!

So, all was good untill i added this Radeon 9800 XT (with external powerr connector) when the system shut down after being on for about 2 minutes.

Returning to default BIOS settings its is stable and works fine; but i want the 2.4 speed!!!

How can i resolve this because i am assumin that the video card shuts the system down because of the increase FSB yet i hear you shouting "have you locked the PCI /AGP".

Well i cant as there is no such setting on my bios.

I have upgraded to the most recent bios yet i cant get the system stable when overcloced along with the Radeon 9800XT......

Suggestions???

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
All I can really suggest is to either overclock less so that the system stays stable or to get another motherboard if you really want the extra speed.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
what kind of PSU do you have? is it the cheapo that came with the case? that may be your problem

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

what kind of PSU do you have? is it the cheapo that came with the case? that may be your problem

AMD 64 Sempron 3400+ palmero core

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Oh - PSU!!!

Its a 450 watt unit - are you suggesting that it cant otput enough power?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ya possibly... is it the cheap PSU that came with the case? look on the side and see how many amps it sais it puts out on the +12v rail...

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I am puting this in the thread instead of a PM because the more exposure the better...threads MUST have descriptive titles. TheStorming...please edit the title of this thread to better describe your question. How about "Problems with my OC..." Click on edit on your first post and then click Go Advanced...you can change it there.

Very soon threads with non-descript titles will simply be deleted as was indicated here (2/19/05). We REALLY do not want to keep members from getting help and/or answers to their questions so please help us out and have your thread titles concisely address the issue at hand. Thank you for helping!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

ya possibly... is it the cheap PSU that came with the case? look on the side and see how many amps it sais it puts out on the +12v rail...

20 amps on the 12 volt output

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
I have played a little on that asrock board, but on A64 2800. Anyway, the power consumption of the 2800 should be on par with the semp3400.
I think this mobo sucks at overclocking, not the psu. It has cheap mosfets and cheap capacitors that don't feed the oced cpu and the 9800XT as it should. Asrock is not meant to be a good overckocker, just a cheap stable board.
Try with another psu, but I think your rig doesn't consume over 350W even oced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts