Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya, i'm basically new to overclocking, though i have read alot of previous posts and have a brief idea.

My specs are:
Intel Pentium D 3.4Ghz dual core processor
2GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 6200 128 Mb
250GB HDD
Windows Vista Business x32

Yeah, if i can just get a guide on how to do it through bios, thatd be great.

Thanks in advance
Al

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
You need to fill in your system specs here http://www.overclock.net/specs.php
So we can help you

It says 3.4Ghz so why is it running at 2.4?
To enter your bios hit either DELETE or F1
Look for FSB settings and ramp Bus speed up, do it in 5Mhz increments until youur system will not post or boot, then tone down.
Not really sure about intel o/cing but i hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that was fast

Uhh how do i find out some of these more complicated specs?
I don't think cup-z shows them

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
dude what motherboard do you have ???

you are already mission out on you cpu speed

fgo to you bios and disable the cpu funcions like ( EIST, THERMAL MONITOR AND STUFF )

when you are in the bios on the right handside there is a description of what each option does

disable anything that manages cpu vid, vcore , voltage , frequency and such and cpu z will show 3.4ghz in operation that aside you will see a performance increase instantly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uhh, ok i guess i better get to it.
What your telling me to do isn't actually overclocking as such is it? Like it isn't gonna have the risk of causing harm to my pc?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
not really

basicly you are just deactivating some technology taht intel made, wich controls your cpu, basicly it reduces your cpu speed when it thinks you dont need it , and once you open a application that demands cpu power, it puts your speed back on.

so by disabling these options you are at full speed all times

look in the bios for

EIST
THERMAL MONITOR
C1E

AND DISABLE THEM

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
it is at 2.4 probably due to speedstep/C1E. His multiplier should be 17

Just give it some volts and up the fsb. I had my 950 at 3.9 on air with 1.36v

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, i disabled the EIST and C1E but i couldn't find the Thermal Monitor. Any ideas which sub-menu it'll be under? Here's my CPU-Z after i disabled the eist and C1E

I found the vcore but it was with a list of other things like current CPU temperature, current CPU fan speed and all of them were set to 'OK'.
You couldn't control each individual one, only the "Reset Case Open" which seemed like the master control for all of them. By the way that was set to disabled.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alzor View Post
OK, i disabled the EIST and C1E but i couldn't find the Thermal Monitor. Any ideas which sub-menu it'll be under? Here's my CPU-Z after i disabled the eist and C1E

I found the vcore but it was with a list of other things like current CPU temperature, current CPU fan speed and all of them were set to 'OK'.
You couldn't control each individual one, only the "Reset Case Open" which seemed like the master control for all of them. By the way that was set to disabled.
not all motherboars and cpu's offer the thermal monitor option so dont worry about it

as for the things you just mentioned, that is just an overview of how your system is working, temperatures and such

as you can see you cpu z now shows 3416mhz instead of 2400 that was on previusly

now if you really want to get some 4ghz+ on that chop you can

let me know what cooler your are using
and make and model of you motherboard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 2 fans. The original CPU cooling fan which obviously came with the pc and i got fitted in an 8cm fan, which i think takes the hot air out of the tower. Is that what you need to know or is there more?

My motherboard is a GA-945

·
Registered
626 Posts
Whoa, I didn't even know any of the Pentium D's were 65nm.
I have the D 805 and it's a 90nm.

I'm finding that some of my old overclock settings are similar to the Anand i7 920 overclocks:

Pentium D 805
1.500v 190mhz = 3.8ghz

i7 920
1.496v 190 mhz = 3.8ghz

That is weird, but oddly enough the perfect successor to my Pentium D...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts