Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I've been reading these forums recently and decided to make an account as there is a huge amount of helpful information being shared here. Also sorry for any rookie mistakes, this is my first post...

This is a bit of a story so bear with me.
Last summer I built a custom gaming rig, and while it performs great I immediately noticed the graphics card (PNY GTX670) was making an annoying buzzing noise. Now this wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't stopped for a while, showing me it was capable of running completely silent.
I wasn't pleased so I sent the card off to scan for an RMA as recommended by PNY support. In the end I basically payed £30 to send my card on a tour of Scan's facilities who stated there was no problem. I began to wonder if I was just being picky, as the rest of the rig is completely silent (bequiet fans/cooler).
I decided to take the card apart and found a barcode sticker flapping around inside the fan, I took it out feeling hopeful but it turned out to fix nothing. I left it at there for a while.
A few months later I tidied the cables in my case, my friend told me to check temps as they should be better. I decided to do so and was horrified to find it was reading 70 degrees... with Minecraft open.
I decided to rip that fan out and just strap on a 80mm fan with cable ties, this fan was silent but it turned out to be even worse/the same in terms of cooling.
So I'm back to the old fan and thoroughly fed up with this graphics card, now considering a few options as shown below.

This is where I need your advice:
-Do I invest in a watercooling kit (such as xspc) and add a GPU waterblock? (totalling at around £230 from what I saw..)
-Do I buy a third party cooler such as accelero hybrid or the accelero dual fan setup?
-Do I try and sell the card and buy something such as the Gigabyte windforce?
-Am I just being picky, and should keep the card as it is?

Extra:
Important: The one card is running THREE 21.5" monitors, this may be straining the card.
I would like to at some point buy a second card to run in SLI.
Is it important to cool the VRM and RAM on the card or could I just cool the chip itself?
What temperatures would I see with the accelero/watercooling option, and what sort of noise levels?
Cheaper would be better with my current financial situation... But all advice welcome.

Thanks for any replies in advance.
redface.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm looking at a similar issue right now with a PNY 660ti. It is loud even at idle. If I stop the fan my computer becomes very quiet. I am looking into the arctic accelero twin turbo but I'm not sure if that is compatible with a 670.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have also been looking at the accelero models, I think I am going to go for one of the fan versions as they have great reviews. According to the website they all support the 670 which is good.
I'm tempted by the dual fan version, as the triple fan version goes quite far over the PCB of the card.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just caved and ordered the Mono Plus, this fan noise drives me insane when I finally settle down to go to sleep, having the PC in the same room really means Case noise levels really matter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
this is LONG overdue.

But yes it arrived quiet awhile ago.

all this time, I guess I can count it as an adequate testing period.

Before Mono Plus:
- BF3 = ~70c after 1hour of gaming.
- Tera = ~65c after 1hr
- Divine Divinity 2 = ~70c @1hr

After Mono Plus:

- Getting 40-60c at the 1 hour mark on all above games.

All results were done using MAX in-game settings. no tweaks or ini changes.

Also should mention this cooler is a god-send for those that are ANNOYED but that dam whirr noise from the PNY versions of the GTX670

Now with my SLI setup I need to a find a cooling solutio for my top card; ASUS DC2 GTX670....its reaching temps of 65-80c in almost all games.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts