Overclock.net banner

Help with possible NAS build

2596 12
I was thinking about building a NAS with some extra parts I have laying around. I’m not sure which way to go or if I should just buy an out of the box NAS. All I need this for is for storing back ups and maybe a media server of some kind. Something really basic.

Option 1: Mini ITX
Mobo - Intel DQ77KB mini itx
8gb ram
Intel pentium g2030
90 watt power supply/brick
30gb mSATA hd

I was thinking about replacing the 30gb mSATA hd with a crucial 128gb sd that I have laying around
Buy a pci express x4 dedicated video card (I had trouble with the onboard video) I just couldn’t get it to show video consistently +\- $50
New case - was thinking about a mini itx tower of some kind +\-$80
Storage hard drives maybe x2 wd red nas drives 4TB+\- $200
I’m not sure if a 90 watt power brick will be enough. Maybe replace with a 180watt $80
Thinking about using windows as an os but I also was looking into FreeNAS

$410 total or so with FreeNas
$525 or so with a new windows license

Option 2: Ditch the mini ITX platform and go with ATX

Buy an atx mobo for the g2030 Price - ???
Use an existing 400 watt power supply
Buy new RAM for mobo - Price ???
Use an existing atx case
Use left over parts from option 1 to complete build

Cost: ???

Option 3: Buy an out of the box NAS
Cost: ???

Any thoughts?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,127 Posts
Personally I'd skip the whole ivy bridge stuff. Boards for them are getting scarce and pulling premiums on eBay unless you use a oem board like a dell or hp. Watch it they don't have ahci support on some of them either. I slapped you together a cheap setup comparable to what your looking at cpu board and memory wise.

· LTSC for life crew
6,693 Posts
The G5400 is terribly slow in a NAS and you are likely going to end up wanting more. In my case I had an i3 that was comparable to the 5400 and the performance was sub-par over my gigabit network.

I would highly recommend one of these - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-cloud-home-4tb-personal-cloud-white/5990204.p?skuId=5990204 . I have a 3TB at my house and a 4TB at my buddies and we have entirely swapped my home server setup from a dual 8 core Xeon enterprise grade server to the WD my cloud home. They handle Plex superbly and are able to top out gigabit speeds consistently.

· Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions, I am going to look into this. If the G5400 is slow in a NAS configuration, which cpu would give adequate performance over a gigabit network with out breaking the bank?

· Registered
4,127 Posts
The G5400 is terribly slow in a NAS and you are likely going to end up wanting more. In my case I had an i3 that was comparable to the 5400 and the performance was sub-par over my gigabit network.

I would highly recommend one of these - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-cloud-home-4tb-personal-cloud-white/5990204.p?skuId=5990204 . I have a 3TB at my house and a 4TB at my buddies and we have entirely swapped my home server setup from a dual 8 core Xeon enterprise grade server to the WD my cloud home. They handle Plex superbly and are able to top out gigabit speeds consistently.
I mean compared to a ivy bridge pentium that thing flies lol. If you wanna go a step higher go i3 10100 and a lga 1200 board. Adds about 50 bucks in cost though

· LTSC for life crew
6,693 Posts
Yeah if you can step up to an i3 that's a huge difference in performance. I still think you will be better suited by the WD my cloud home though. They exclusively use WD red drives in the my cloud NAS boxes and you are only barely paying over the cost of just the bare WD red for the whole NAS setup with that. Also the performance is quite good.

· Overclocking Enthusiast
7,037 Posts
I use a Athlon 3000G for my nas. It works fine for my use. But it really depends on what you plan to use the nas for.

· 46 Cans of Ravioli
36,831 Posts
I have a G5500 in my NAS and it's not anywhere near "too slow" and it's running dual 10 GbE. Asus sells the AS4004T (a 4 bay barebones NAS with 10 GbE) with a 1.6 Ghz Marvell CPU and 2 GB of RAM ffs

if your NAS also is your Plex server, no, a G5400 is probably not enough. If it's just a NAS doing NAS things, it's plenty.

· Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thanks everyone for the info. I’ll figure it out.

· Registered
244 Posts
I built one around this time last year with all new parts for maybe $350? I can’t remember for sure anymore. I think I put a celeron g3900, 8GB of ram, cheapest mini itx motherboard I could find, mini itx case that held 2 3.5” drives, 430 watt PSU, 128gb M.2 sata as boot drive and 2 4tb drives running mirror with free nas. Speeds are fine to me over my house cat 6 connection. I don’t leave it on 24/7 for power reasons/not NAS grade drives. I only turn it on when I need to access or store something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
986 Posts
I just built one out of an old gateway machine with an upgraded PSU and drive cages. I used xpenology. the only real reason not to use ITX is typically they don't have enough sata ports for drives
if it's got enough ports for the amount of drives you want then by all means use it. If youre going to spend hundreds of dollars to build a computer you might as well buy a purpose built NAS..

just my two cents.

· Premium Member
4,631 Posts
imo if you are just looking for a network storage with maybe a few apps might just be better off with a synology ds920+ at that price.

now if you are wanting to have fun and tinker, have at it. i went from a "home built" from old ebay server parts to a synology and its able to do everything i need just fine.

· Solar Junkie
677 Posts
Heya,

You could grab some server hardware, like this:

Server grade board with IPMI (no GPU/video needed). ECC RAM for the extra protection against bit flipping. Xeon CPU. Dual intel gigabit NICs. Great architecture for your needs. Cheap. You can find even cheaper, the above is just an example of a combo unit where you get it all in one go. Just add PSU and some drives and you're set.

Put a small capacity SSD (cheap, $30) for your OS drive.
Put whatever HDD drives you want in there on SATA for storage (be careful with WD Reds, avoid SMR drives, get the 8TB or get a non-Red 4TB); run them as mirrors (redundancy without parity).

FreeNAS will do what you need. Great tools. You can install Plex server for media, or whatever you want. Works natively. ZFS file system keeps your data from rotting over time, great file system.

Very best,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.