Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies computer just took a dump on him and he's wondering what is the best board out there for his 3.2Ghz prescott chip.... He's a gamer and doesnt do much OCing but wants to learn a bit...he has 2x512 mem,2 sata hard drives and a 9800 pro agp card...

his wants are to be able to use everything he has currently and wants to be able to upgrade to 4 gigs of memory if possible..the boards he has now is a abit ic7 max2 if i recall correctly what he said.... He dont care about the cost rather it be 300 or 50$ just wants something dang good and will last him tell he upgrades in a year or two...thanks

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Is this the 478 pin Prescott or is it a LGA775 chip?

It will be hard to have future upgradablitly unless he swaps out to DDR2, but memory isn't THAT expensive, so it might be something to consider. There are a few options for boards that have 2 DDR slots and 2 DDR2 slots, but not a lot of choices there, and it's better just to have 4 slots for DDR2

If it's a 478 chip then you don't really have any choices for upgradablitly, as I haven't seen a 478 board with DDR2.........at that point, might have to make a choice between budget and upgradability.......

If it's the 775 Prescott.....

Because I am an ASUS fanboy

If money is a concern;

Another ASUS

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper
Is this the 478 pin Prescott or is it a LGA775 chip?

It will be hard to have future upgradablitly unless he swaps out to DDR2, but memory isn't THAT expensive, so it might be something to consider. There are a few options for boards that have 2 DDR slots and 2 DDR2 slots, but not a lot of choices there, and it's better just to have 4 slots for DDR2

If it's a 478 chip then you don't really have any choices for upgradablitly, as I haven't seen a 478 board with DDR2.........at that point, might have to make a choice between budget and upgradability.......

If it's the 775 Prescott.....

Because I am an ASUS fanboy

If money is a concern;

Another ASUS
Read the 1st post, an Abit Max2 is a socket 478 board, and it has DDR1....
I would get an Abit IC7-Max3, or an Asus P4C800 board... either one is well suited for a Prescott processor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he decided today to get a p4c800 from newegg thanks for the kind words and suggestions for him he states

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza
Read the 1st post, an Abit Max2 is a socket 478 board, and it has DDR1....

Oopss, didn't notice it without the caps

Like I said though, there's not much upradability left in the 478.

but at least he went with an ASUS board

1 - 7 of 7 Posts