Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, im looking at upgrading from my raidmax psu as everyone keeps telling me its crap. I am wondering if a 750W would power...say 2 275 or 2 5850's. I want this to be my last upgrade for a while in the PSU area. im looking at 2 different psu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371024

one is 750w and 1 is 850. i was also looking at spending an extra $50 to get a 950-1000w psu if the 750/850 would not power sli/crossfire with the above mentioned PSU. Thanks for looking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139013
that is the 950W i was looking at getting...$30 off with free shipping and $10 MIR

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
The Antec CP-850 is much better than the Corsair TX750, but it's not compatible with your case.

Anyway, 750W is more than enough for any dual GPU setup currently.

I'd recommend the Antec TruePower New for you. They're amazing power supplies, based on a SeaSonic DC-DC design, and are much, much better than the Corsair TX750. (They're also modular!)

Read the review here. This guy is the king of power supply reviews, by the way.

Quote:
Value (30% of the final score) - these just hit the market, so there's not much stock anywhere on them yet. Fortunately, Antec told me the MSRP on this unit: $159.95. The Seasonic M12D, which this unit comes close to performance wise, is about a hundred smackers more money. At the same time, you can get a Corsair 750W for significantly cheaper, but I'd have to say the extra cost on this unit is worth it. And if the initial retail prices I'm seeing on this unit are anywhere near accurate, Antec is going to be almost impossible to beat on this one. 10.
The bolded quote refers to the TX750. He says that at $160, it's worth it over the TX750. For the same price, it's a no-brainer.

Also, the multi-rail vs. single rail argument is irrelevant.

·
Banned
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea the 750w, i was hoping, would be more then what i needed for looking at future upgrades. would it be worth the extra $50 for the modular corsair?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I choose to go to an 850 with my setup for future use, but the Corsair 750 sounds good, depending on your case Id say no to modular, I got the non and It wasnt too hard to hide the cables on my new one

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
yea the 750w, i was hoping, would be more then what i needed for looking at future upgrades. would it be worth the extra $50 for the modular corsair?
Get the Antec that I linked. It's much, much better value than the HX750.

·
Banned
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
The Antec CP-850 is much better than the Corsair TX750, but it's not compatible with your case.

Anyway, 750W is more than enough for any dual GPU setup currently.

I'd recommend the Antec TruePower New for you. They're amazing power supplies, based on a SeaSonic DC-DC design, and are much, much better than the Corsair TX750. (They're also modular!)

Read the review here. This guy is the king of power supply reviews, by the way.

The bolded quote refers to the TX750. He says that at $160, it's worth it over the TX750. For the same price, it's a no-brainer.

Also, the multi-rail vs. single rail argument is irrelevant.
isnt that antec technically a hybrid modular psu, like my raidmax?

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

isnt that antec technically a hybrid modular psu, like my raidmax?
Yeah.

It's better than having absolutely no modular cables like the TX750, especially since it's a better performer and has a higher total output, too.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Quote:

Definitely in the long run you won't regret it. I would get the 750hx it's only $130 AR and promo code.

·
Banned
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are the reviews true on that antec 750w??where some company took it apart and its acually a higher wattage PSU? its the first review on newegg

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Antec TruePower New 750w. No other questions needed.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

are the reviews true on that antec 750w??where some company took it apart and its acually a higher wattage PSU? its the first review on newegg
Why would you look at a Newegg review which are terrible at best when I linked you to the best PSU reviewer available...?

It's a great power supply. I wouldn't be recommending and using its little brother if it wasn't.

JonnyGuru doesn't give scores like that without good reason.

·
Banned
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
Why would you look at a Newegg review which are terrible at best when I linked you to the best PSU reviewer available...?

It's a great power supply. I wouldn't be recommending and using its little brother if it wasn't.

jeez, was just asking a question dont bite my head off, sorry i asked

on a second note, i am reading the review that u linked now

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

Newegg reviews are a gold mine for night time comedy sometimes.

·
Banned
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So i have looked at the review and have decided i will go with the antec truepower. It will be more then enough for me as i have also decided(down the road) to go with crossfire 5770's since they work so nice together in my wifes rig. Thanks to all who helped

·
Banned
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i ended up getting a 650w treupower antec for $119 using instore credit from a local shop, so ill just use my $100 in store credit for newegg for a video card. Just gonna watch open boxes and wait for a killer deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts