Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I would like some help to get my q6600 to 3,6Ghz. So far I've been unable to achieve. My system:

q6600 G0 VID 1,285
Asus P5KC
RAM Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC6400 CL5 2X1GB
Thermalright 120 extreme with Scythe slip stream
Thermaltake soprano case
Gforce 8800GT

Sofar i've been able to overclock to 9X380 = 3,42 Ghz, with a core voltage of 1,52 , NB 1,55 , CPU Pll 1,50, FSB termination voltage 1,50.
I haven't tweaked the ram sofar, I'm running it at 760 Mhz (1:1).
My system is prime stable, my average temperature of all cores is around 63o C.
My main question is if I could somehow lower my core voltage by tweaking other voltages, or what I should to to go 3,6Ghz without using 1,6 volts, which I consider too high. I have tried to overclock to 3,6Ghz with 1,58 but no luck (I get to windows, but crash after about 5 secs in prime95).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
All those voltages look pretty high. If you need 1.52v to get 3.4GHz, most likely you won't be getting 3.6 Ghz unless it's failing cause it doesn't like running hot at high clocks, because you could do something about temps. First would be replacing the slipstream on the TRUE. A good 120x38mm fan would probably knock off at least 4-5C.

What exactly happens when you say it crashes in prime?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get a blue screen and the computer restarts. Will tweaking the RAM get me somewhere? thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
You said you're running the RAM below stock clocks, so I doubt the RAM is unstable, and if you're running small FFTs in prime, it doesn't even test the RAM. What error code does the BSOD give you? Is it 0x00000124? That's the one i get when my CPU OC isn't stable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried 8X400, that is @3,2 and it worked, but I still needed a high voltage... is there a way to lower the core voltage by tweaking the other voltages?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by madclocker
View Post

I have tried 8X400, that is @3,2 and it worked, but I still needed a high voltage... is there a way to lower the core voltage by tweaking the other voltages?

Your other voltages already seem high. Usually some VTT/FSB voltage can help, but you're already at 1.5v which is very high.

One way to get a lower vcore on your OC is to get a better mobo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts