Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Basically what happened is that i have 6gb corsair xms3 triple channel ram,basicalli, I broke one and i was wondering if you could use it with just the two left or do you have to use all 3 for it to work? I have 6gb of the same ram in my pc atm and another 6gb sitting on my table with one of them broken so 4gb. I have tried to put the 4gb in the ram slots with my remaining 6gb to make 10gb but it just shows up theres 2gb in the bios and sumtimes it doesnt even boot to the bios.Black screen you knw the deal. I'm guessing the 4gb is corrupt aswel but there seems to be no damage. The third one the whole of the heat spreader has ripped off and 2 modules have come off so i knw that is broken. sorry for the long read and thank you for your time. ^^

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
The other two modules are probably fine (assuming the chips haven't been broken off, like the 3rd).

Run Memtest86+ with the 2 remaining modules (and only those modules) to be sure.

Check your motherboard manual for the recommended DIMM slots to use for 2 sticks. It may differ from the standard for using all 3.

Also, running more than 6GB of RAM sometimes isn't as simple as just plugging them in. You may have to adjust/increase a few of your voltages (such as the vtt/QPI voltage) as well.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Don't believe you can mix Triple Channel with Dual Channel.

What you could do is do 4GB in dual channel. 2GB in one channel and 2GB in the other.

Dual channel works fine on X58 and i7's.

Also getting 12GB of ram to work could require some BIOS changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts