Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for an SSD and I was orignially gonna go with an OCZ vertex 2 but I have been reading reviews of quit a bit of them going out so I want to get some opinions.

What SSD should I buy? (has to be sata II)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
The general consensus here on Overclock.net is that the Vertex 2 (not vortex) is among the best SSDs. I haven't seen anyone here talk about their Vertex 2 dying on them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I only have sata II connectors to my motherboard, so unless it is backwards compatible then I cant

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
It's backwards compatible, but it could be a waste of money unless you know you'll have a board with SATA III soon.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by black!ce;13138013
the SATA 3 is not only the new feature in the vertex 3, it has almost double of the sequential read and write speeds compared to the vertex 2 plus its future proof
When connected to a SATA II port, it will only get up to 280/260 Read/Write. When connected to a SATA III port, it gets up to 530/450.

So it's a waste of money until it can be connected to a SATA III port.

Edit: I was looking at the specs for the 480 GB drive.
redface.gif
The 120 GB is just a little bit faster than this, but it's still not that much better than the Vertex 2 when connected to a SATA II port.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;13138065
When connected to a SATA II port, it will only get up to 280/260 Read/Write. When connected to a SATA III port, it gets up to 530/450.

So it's a waste of money until it can be connected to a SATA III port.
that why i said its future proof as well

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;13137839
It's backwards compatible, but it could be a waste of money unless you know you'll have a board with SATA III soon.
The Vertex 3 are also better at handling uncompressible data for random writes/reads. You do not need SATA 6Gb/s for those benefits.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome! Looks like I'm gonna go ahead with the vertex 2 just because I dont plan on getting rid of this motherboard and if I were to build a new system I would still keep this current one! I really appreciate all the information guys!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
I don't blame you. It's a great motherboard!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts