Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Overclocking my Toaster
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I've been putting in extra hours to do something nice for my dad. I haven't wanted to post anything till I had a good bit of dough in case my first plan fell through. He's having to go through more chemo and just had surgery to remove some of it, meaning we can't visit the majority of the family for Thanksgiving (which we all look forward too but none more than him) and his computer is out of commission so he doesn't have much to do to keep his mind off things.

He does video encoding, movie watching and some server tasks (backups, and a few other things), and I actually got him to play some games on his computer before it busted itself so he doesn't need some big beefy graphics card necessarily. I've been thinking perhaps a Ryzen system for him if my 4770k rig won't even run properly at stock... which is what I have it set to now so we'll see how that goes.

Currently I have a small SSD, some nice case fans, a decent keyboard and some other miscellany gathered for him and hidden (he's not one to ask for anything or want people to spend money on him). I have a PSU for him and my sig rig's GPU which is factory fresh besides being put in to be tested. I'm currently using a GTX 460 768MB just to get by and turned my sig rig into a NAS for the time being and have upgraded to a fairly beefy laptop through warranty and store credit. I keep hoping to get someone to buy the gpu for a reasonable price to add to cash pile as tbh it is probably the greatest offender heat wise but it has not worked out.

My computer needs a refresh as well so I was going to give him my sig rig, though I'm not entirely sure it's stable enough. I'm going to have to recheck the overclock to see if it's just gone bad or if the overclock just needs readjusting will probably reinstall windows too just to make sure some of the BSODs when overclocking didn't corrupt something which has happened before. I don't want to give him an upgrade parts wise just to have it die on him.

I however, do want a beefy card as in addition to video encoding, graphics design, and movie watching I play games in the off time.

So a bit about the setup. We're in Florida. I don't know what the general temps are in his room since he doesn't have anything with a thermostat in it in there. In my room on the other side of the house the temps are generally 27-32C with my current sig rig on and AC set at 73-74F (23C or so) depending on whether and useage.

Here's what I need. An upgrade from my sig rig. My experience with Haswell has been crummy (at least for overclocking, heat output and stability). I don't know what I'm going to do for a case since I need at least 4 platter drive slots, and 3-5 SSD slots (for the 3 variously sized ones I have now/might want to add on to later) a spot for my BD-RW drive and potentially space for rads and such if I decide to do another loop (just thinking about finding fans or looking for a new model gives me a headache I had a hard time finding the typhoons I have a few years ago).

A good graphics card and a new monitor. I'm looking primarily at ultrawides, and yes adaptive sync options. I like the size of my current HDTV though so something on the larger end of the size spectrum for monitors.

I'm open to both sides of the aisle if there's a good case to be made. Currently I have not been able to research Ryzen much but experience with AMD has me leary on it's thermal output. Similarly I don't know what exactly AMD has to compete with the 1000 series from nvidia, last I saw it was kinda lame.

So I've saved up a fair amount for a while and am comfortable saying I could spend $2000-2400 and still have enough left over for dad if my testing of sig rig doesn't look promising.

I have kept forgetting to post this with all the craziness going on irl and was hoping to buy my parts during Black Friday/ Cyber Monday so there might be more budget for dad but I doubt that will happen this late in the game.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

·
Overclocking my Toaster
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK say I have $1400 $1200 for cpu, gpu, motherboard combo and lets go ahead and throw RAM in there two since DDR4 is stupid expensive.Have ram now. Primary uses are video encoding, gaming, graphics design and for use as a media pc. Less heat output preferred due to location. What are the best options?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts