Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 (used it a while back and really liked it, but I'm having terrible trouble installing it

I've wiped the drive using Gparted (btw 500 gig samsung laptop drive)

I can run the install but when I get to selecting a partition to install to I get this
337

now granted I am somewhat of a Linux noob so I tried to format it to different types...ntfs (being the windows guy I am) ext4, ext2, XFS

everything gives me this blank screen on the "prepare partitions step"

I can see the drive in disk utility
URL=http://www.overclock.net/image/id/2344762/width/600/height/337]
337
[/URL]

but if I try and do anything in disk utility I get errors like this:

337

it says that daemon is inhibited...I have NO CLUE what this means337

any help is greatly appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
Try this in the terminal:
Quote:
sudo killall udisks
If you cannot run sudo then try
Quote:
su -c killall udisks
sudo = super user do. It is like running admin temporarily for a given time to run certain admin only commands..
su = super user and will log you in as an administrator if you don't use the -c command which su -c is like saying run this one command as an admin.

This problem should be fixed then either exit out of the installer program and reopen the installer or just when you get to the gparted part of the install do this and hit back on the installer and try the partitioning again...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adramalech707 View Post

Try this in the terminal:
If you cannot run sudo then try
sudo = super user do. It is like running admin temporarily for a given time to run certain admin only commands..
su = super user and will log you in as an administrator if you don't use the -c command which su -c is like saying run this one command as an admin.
This problem should be fixed then either exit out of the installer program and reopen the installer or just when you get to the gparted part of the install do this and hit back on the installer and try the partitioning again...
I' left my laptop at the office so I'll have to give it a try tomorrow, any recommendations on what I should have my drive formatted as?

ext4?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim888 View Post

I' left my laptop at the office so I'll have to give it a try tomorrow, any recommendations on what I should have my drive formatted as?
ext4?
Ext4 is what you want.

Also, why not install 12.04? Why 10.10?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiussat View Post

Ext4 is what you want.
Also, why not install 12.04? Why 10.10?
If I remember correctly 10.XX doesn't have Unity and not everyone likes that abomination.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0307 View Post

If I remember correctly 10.XX doesn't have Unity and not everyone likes that abomination.
Easy enough to change, while still getting any/all critical updates.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiussat View Post

Ext4 is what you want.
Also, why not install 12.04? Why 10.10?
a while back I tried about 15 different distos and that was the one I settled on, (they had whichever was the first one with unity) and I really decided that I didnt care for it, but I really liked the way this version was set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0307 View Post

If I remember correctly 10.XX doesn't have Unity and not everyone likes that abomination.
yup I really didnt care for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim888 View Post

a while back I tried about 15 different distos and that was the one I settled on, (they had whichever was the first one with unity) and I really decided that I didnt care for it, but I really liked the way this version was set up
yup I really didnt care for it.
If you must use a 10.x series, you need to downgrade to 10.04. Why? Because it is an LTS release and will be updated and maintained until 2015. Version 10.10 is no longer being maintained (it's life-cycle ended last month). So please go with 10.04. This is important! You do not want to be running a release that is not receiving updates and security patches.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiussat View Post

If you must use a 10.x series, you need to downgrade to 10.04. Why? Because it is an LTS release and will be updated and maintained until 2015. Version 10.10 is no longer being maintained (it's life-cycle ended last month). So please go with 10.04. This is important! You do not want to be running a release that is not receiving updates and security patches.
He is trying to install that...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiussat View Post

If you must use a 10.x series, you need to downgrade to 10.04. Why? Because it is an LTS release and will be updated and maintained until 2015. Version 10.10 is no longer being maintained (it's life-cycle ended last month). So please go with 10.04. This is important! You do not want to be running a release that is not receiving updates and security patches.
thanks for the info but if you read the OP you will see that I am installing 10.04, I think someone else along the way mentioned 10.10
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,527 Posts
its giving you that error cause the installer has locked the drive, so it can't get exclusive rights to it.

you will want to partition the drive BEFORE clicking on install.

open up terminal and type in:

sudo gparted

and use gparted to format the drive, you will want to use ext3 or 4 (i recommend ext3 in 10.04, as the ext4 drive wasn't fully mature yet in that version of ubuntu and it gave me all sorts of problems).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adramalech707 View Post

Try this in the terminal:
If you cannot run sudo then try
sudo = super user do. It is like running admin temporarily for a given time to run certain admin only commands..
su = super user and will log you in as an administrator if you don't use the -c command which su -c is like saying run this one command as an admin.
This problem should be fixed then either exit out of the installer program and reopen the installer or just when you get to the gparted part of the install do this and hit back on the installer and try the partitioning again...
Did this sudo killall udisks does not give any reply or anything just seems to go through but it still will not work, so I tried su -c killall udisks and I get this in return "Unknown id: udisks"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transhour View Post

its giving you that error cause the installer has locked the drive, so it can't get exclusive rights to it.

you will want to partition the drive BEFORE clicking on install.

open up terminal and type in:

sudo gparted

and use gparted to format the drive, you will want to use ext3 or 4 (i recommend ext3 in 10.04, as the ext4 drive wasn't fully mature yet in that version of ubuntu and it gave me all sorts of problems).
I did this and then tried the install, same thing

any more Ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivacs View Post

since you are going to be completely wiping the hard drive, You may want to take a look at Lubuntu //http://lubuntu.net/
It is a lighter version of Ubuntu that does not use the Unity desktop interface.
thank you but I still cannot get it to even show my HDD...Ive tried 12.4 (or what ever the most recent one is)

(btw I dont know if it matters but I'm using unetbootin to put the ISO on a usb stick)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim888 View Post

thank you but I still cannot get it to even show my HDD...Ive tried 12.4 (or what ever the most recent one is)
(btw I dont know if it matters but I'm using unetbootin to put the ISO on a usb stick)
It shouldn't matter but can you try with a cd?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,378 Posts
I have had similar problems with installing Ubuntu 10.04 on a system that had ATI on-board graphics, The solution for me was while I was in the LiveCD to run the Terminal and type;

Code:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx
sudo apt-get update
Then I would double click on the "Install Ubuntu" Icon
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Torch View Post

I have had similar problems with installing Ubuntu 10.04 on a system that had ATI on-board graphics, The solution for me was while I was in the LiveCD to run the Terminal and type;

Code:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx
sudo apt-get update
Then I would double click on the "Install Ubuntu" Icon
when I try and run the first

Code:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx
it says that the following packages have unment dependencies:
fglrx: depends: lib32gcc1 but it is not going to be installed
depends: libc6-i386 but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim888 View Post

when I try and run the first

Code:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx
it says that the following packages have unment dependencies:
fglrx: depends: lib32gcc1 but it is not going to be installed
depends: libc6-i386 but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
Do a sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get install fglrx then do a sudo apt-get update again and see if that works.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top