Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've configured it according to this, but my speeds are really slow...

I'm trying to do the Slackware download test mentioned in that page, and I can't seem to get more than 280 KB/s. In normal web browser direct downloads, I usually get 1.5 MB/s and up.

Something definitely must be wrong, because on the uTorrent guide it says that it should max the connection within minutes, when it's been running for a while now and it hasn't.

·
Old school
14,410 Posts
Your download speed depends on the upload speed of other people. The speed varies between torrents.

In other words, you should not max out your connection within minutes because you still depend on the upload speed of other people.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Usually ISP internet connections, or location you are at. The reasons you get 1.5 MB/s and up on web browser downloads is because they have servers hosting their file(s). And has much higher upload rates than regular house hold computers so you can download faster than directly from other computers. The only way to get higher download speeds is if people increase their upload rate to other computers.

Long to short: It doesn't matter so much on your computer, but if other computers have the file and are sharing it. Hope this helps

·

29,532 Posts
It depends on your router and the torrent you're on. I can't recall any public legal torrents that does more than 500 kB/s without an absurd amount of connections.

If you have a router that's capable, increase the amount of connections. The connection guide resets this though, so keep that in mind.

A connection limit of 200 for an occasional use of uTorrent should be fine unless you have a bad router - don't forget to set the per-torrent connection limit too. The more connections you create the more overhead there is, though, so you'll need more upload speed per megabyte downloaded.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Set up a static ip, forward your ports, uncheck choose random port in the options, go to the options menu where it says amount of peer connections and change that to something like 5000. Should boost your speeds. Also depends on how many seeders there are in the torrent.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonX View Post
It depends on your router and the torrent you're on. I can't recall any public legal torrents that does more than 500 kB/s without an absurd amount of connections.
Ubuntu and Open Office.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts