Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've owned a Lian Li X200F Case for a while now and It's been on air cooling with Prolimatech Rev B CPU cooler push/pull fan setup.

I've wanted to water cool the CPU for a long time but I've never done it before and would like to receive help with this case If anyone has had experience or just could generally help me out.

The Components inside are :
Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rev 3.0
Intel i7 2600k 4.5GHz ( hoping to push to 5GHz w/ Watercooling)
single GTX 580 ( noot looking to cool right now, But would like to)

I don't know if the rest really matters but it's just:
8 GB Ram
OCZ 120GB vertex3
300 GB drive
Scythe fan controller

Right now I'm only looking to cool the CPU, It's kind of a trial thing for me.
Once I get that done I'll check on the GPU. It's an MSI Lightning GTX 580 so I'm unsure as to whether or not Waterblocks will fit on it properly.
No experience whatsoever, So I was going to call up the company once I got to that point.

Right Now I was wondering If someone could Help me out as far as a possible Set-up for this particular case.
It's a pretty roomy case , even if it isn't one of those enormously huge cases.

Alright, so would anyone like to help me out ? If there's any info that would be helpful just let me know, I'm sure that there's stuff I may not have covered ( but I wouldn't know ).
Thanks for the look.

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
Looks to me like it's just about made for a 360 radiator right up front.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haaa..... And I'm looking up this stuff right now But , I dunno If that's Good Quality ( as in I have no clue what you said means , not that I'm disagreeing with you ) or not.

I'm assuming Im not gonna need much just to get a good set up for a CPU.
Like, not as complicated as CPU + GPU etc.
Oh and if your location really is Virginia Beach, VA That's actually where I stay too.

I used to work on the Little Creek base.

·
Registered
253 Posts
A 360mm radiator looks like it would be perfect for the front as lostsol said.

I'm not 100% what your asking. If your looking for general watercooling advice the stickies are great starting points
thumb.gif

As for your system something like the Rasa RX360 kit would be a nice starting point for cooling the CPU. The pumps don't have a wonderful reputation so if possible when you add the GPU to the loop change out the pump and reservoir. You'll have a bit more of a feel what your after by then, if you want to go for dual pumps for reliability and higher flow or something quiet.

For now a 360mm radiator would disapiate the heat from the CPU nicely so you'd get good temps, it comes with 3 fans, they aren't bad. You may want to change them. Since your radiator is being mounted vertically Yate Loons are a great choice for the price. The high speed (2200RPM) models would be ideal and you can connect them to your fan controller to keep the noise down.
Scythe Gentle Typhoons are also a great choice, the AP15 (1850RPM) is a nice sweet spot for sound and performance. If you want fans with LEDs look for high static pressure, it isn't necessarily related to the CFM figures usually listed.
You'd be able to cool the GPU too using the same 360 rad, your temps won't be as great but they'll still be better than air.

As for finding a block for your GPU down the line, coolingconfigurator.com is very helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I was basically asking if anyone could look at the dimensions and insides of that case to recommend a good set-up for it.
I've never done Water cooling So I have no experience and maybe someone had worked on this case before.

I tried Search for a water cooled Lian Li X2000F and found nothing.
Alright, I'm still researching Everything, It seems there can be an advantage to custom setups over kits ??
I'm looking for high quality stuff, Price Isn't ever really an issue for me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Looks like you could be a first with this case then, it also seems like you'd have to keep the front door open to ensure airflow
Well the thing with custom set ups is you choose what you like.
There isn't a particular disadvantage with the rasa kits, the CPU block is one of the best, the radiators are excellent too. The pump is a bit of short fall so maybe go for a custom loop.

For a custom loop
CPU - Raystorm. Performs very well, not overly restrictive, looks good. Worth looking at the ek Supreme HF too.
Radiator - I'd still go with the RX360, or a EX360 if you'd prefer something thinner. Double check the measurements of the rads with your case and see how it fits.
There are better performing rads but you'll need high speed fans constantly and personally I don't think it's worth the trade off. If you don't mind the noise then look at the HWLabs GTX360.
Pump - MCP355 will do nicely. Depends if you want variable speed on the pump, again this will keep the noise down, if you do then go for a MCP655.
You'll want a top for the pump, this is mostly down to personal preference. The XSPC Plexi top looks good and performs well. You could have a reservoir on the pump but lets assume you don't want that for now.
Reservoir - Take your pick between 5.25 bay fitting and cylindrical. Cylindrical can be easier to bleed. FrozenQ has some of the sexiest reservoirs if money isn't an object.
Tubing - Personal preference, if your going for compression fittings get exactly the right size. If your going for barbs 7/16" over 1/2" gives a snug fit.
Fittings - Take your pick between barbs and compression. Each to own again, compressions look prettier, Bitspower have some very nice compressions.
For a basic CPU block you'll need 6 of them. You may want them angled to cut down on tubing and for convenience.
Fans - Discussed above. AP15's are great. If you're getting the GTX360 look at AP29/30 but you'll definitely want them on your fan controller
Convenience - Add a T line to help with draining, you'll need a T fitting and a stop plug.

Hope this helps you on your adventure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I don't know anything about Riot.
I'm just here to get some advice on building this.

Hmm, I guess the Lian Li X2000F is an expensive case.. So it kind of makes sense that I can't find any information on it being watercooled, It claims it's designed for it though.
I actually don't mind noise at all, I'm not too picky at all when it comes to that.
That GTX360 is:
Width:133 mm , Height: 397 mm , Thickness: 54 mm

And the Case Dimensions are:
Width: 240 mm , Height: 695 mm , Thickness: 442 mm

It seems like it's something I should look into, I guess the main thing I have to learn more about is tubing dimensions and how they affect flow.
I'm going to guess that's the most complex part of doing a watercooled build.
That info you gave me is going to help a lot but I'm still going to have to learn quite a bit about it before I get started.
Once I do though maybe I'll start putting it up on here, Thank you.

OH Edit: If anyone wants to look further at the case, On this Link to the Lian Li PDF catalogue It's Page 30 the "TYR SERIES"
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/online-dm/Lian-Li-2011-catalogue.pdf

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah I think your right about the case. Half the time manufactures just stick some grommits on the back of the case and call it watercooling ready. You could always have an external mounted radiator, the temps are slightly better but it can be awkward if you move your computer around. Phoyba make some nice radiator stands or you can use stand-offs and attach it to the case.
That case does look gorgeous though.
drool.gif

Check the measurements in the area you want to mount the radiator, a 15mm spacing between the fans is generally the standard otherwise you might have to do a bit modding to fit it in.

The tubing doesn't really make any difference, the differences negate each other. IMO thick tubing is better looking, but that's all it comes down to.

Post lots of pics!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a cool guy help me out and give me some great info, He shared a few pics of a Watercooling set-up in this particular Case style.

It definitely looks like I'll be able to do this, especially since I'm only doing CPU for now.
I think It will look a whole lot sexier than that huge Prolimatech Megahalem Rev.B CPU cooler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts