Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a copper TRUE in a SFF case with a San Ace 1011 pulling air through the TRUE into an air duct that exhausts the air out of my case. I want to add a pushing fan to this set up, but the small form factor makes the difficult. I will need a duct to get cool air pushed through the TRUE and I won't be able to attached a fan larger than 92mm to the TRUE

I want to add a 2nd duct using this duct from PERFORMANCE PCS

A look inside my case.

Fan 1: Scythe S-Flex 50cfm
Fan 2: San Ace 1011 with Fan duct
Fan 3: Scythe S-Flex 50cfm
Fan 4: Scythe S-Flex 50cfm
Fan 5: Scythe S-Flex 50cfm
Fan 6: AC Twin Turbo Pro
Fan 7: Corsair 650w PSU fan.

I could install an 80mm fan for pushing on the heatsink, but lack of room does not permit me to go any bigger than 92mm because the PSU is obstructing part of the heatsink.

I wanted some advice on picking the right fan. Do I need another San Ace? Can I get by with attaching the duct to my current S-Flex and the buy a 80mm by 38mm fan as a push for the TRUE? Should I go with another San Ace and attach it in the Fan #3 position as a pusher because I cant directly attach it to the heatsink.

Thanks for helping me resolve this problem. I just need some more people to put my head together with, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I respect how elaborate your plan is, and like the diagram you've made, however...

For the size of the case (small) and everything inside it (cramped to hell), I don't think you'd benefit much (if at all) from the ducting idea. In fact, I think you'd be better off leaving it as open as possible.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man
View Post

I respect how elaborate your plan is, and like the diagram you've made, however...

For the size of the case (small) and everything inside it (cramped to hell), I don't think you'd benefit much (if at all) from the ducting idea. In fact, I think you'd be better off leaving it as open as possible.

I have about 400 cubic inches of space to fit an air duct in. I feel like it is the only way to get a proper push pull set up going. I recently changed from a single push, to a single pull because I changed the air flow and fan set up. The result is lower case temps, lower gpu temps, but higher cpu temps. I feel like a push and pull set up would bring my temps back down and since my hot Radeon 4980 is about 4.5 inches away from the TRUE, putting a fan there would mean hot air being blown into the TRUE.

Thanks for your concern, do you see what I mean by extra space? The NZXT. Rogue is fairly large by SFF standards, but a little illogically designed.

Edit: Here you can see the hidden glimpse of the 400 cubic inches I am talking about. Directly under the DVD drive and the 3 Hard drives you have open unused space which makes up about 1/6 of the cases insides. A duct would fit there and could reroute the cool air outside the case into the heatsink.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ktulu
View Post

Thanks for your concern, do you see what I mean by extra space? The NZXT. Rogue is fairly large by SFF standards, but a little illogically designed.

Edit: Here you can see the hidden glimpse of the 400 cubic inches I am talking about. Directly under the DVD drive and the 3 Hard drives you have open unused space which makes up about 1/6 of the cases insides. A duct would fit there and could reroute the cool air outside the case into the heatsink.

Yeah, that's the exact pic I was looking at after I checked out your diagram.

I'm sticking to what I said, but of course you can always test out your idea and see. Ya never know.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man
View Post

Yeah, that's the exact pic I was looking at after I checked out your diagram.

I'm sticking to what I said, but of course you can always test out your idea and see. Ya never know.

Why don't you think it will lower my CPU temps if I attach a 80mm by 38mm pusher fan to the heatsink and feed that fan cold air from the outside of the case?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
well if you were to put a small fan there i think stuffing it between the psu and the optic drives might be your best bet, but i also agree that you might not get much performance improvement in such a small case especially if its always closed. if i was you ad switch to a much more powerful exaust fan something like a kaze that wil do up to 3000 rpms, or if there is no 120mm fan openings then even higher cfm exhaust fans but good luck any way

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
The least extensive thing you can try is to slap some duct tape over the gap between the 1011 and the the top fin. The 1011 is acting as a suction fan and it's going to be easier to draw air through that slot than through the fin array.

The other thing to try is to reverse that other back fan. In fact, make all your other fans intake fans. That way the air can only exit through the cooler. Test the cpu temps before and after.

The combination may or may not reduce your temps, but the cost will be trivial and you can reverse any changes you make.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
The least extensive thing you can try is to slap some duct tape over the gap between the 1011 and the the top fin. The 1011 is acting as a suction fan and it's going to be easier to draw air through that slot than through the fin array.

The other thing to try is to reverse that other back fan. In fact, make all your other fans intake fans. That way the air can only exit through the cooler. Test the cpu temps before and after.

The combination may or may not reduce your temps, but the cost will be trivial and you can reverse any changes you make.
Good suggestion man.

What about taping the sides of the heatsink?

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
I wouldn't tape the sides, since air coming in that way will pass over some part of the fins and do some cooling. You might consider taping just the near half of the sides though.

(An idea I forgot should go here. Should have written it down.)

I think the best thing to do is to reverse your airflow. Let your San Ace draw air in from outside - the coolest air you can get. Then it will blow that air across the heatsink.

Then take off your other exhaust fan and cut the metal grill out. If you feel you really need a grill there get a wire grill. The point: no way a single fan will exhaust enough to handle the input of three fans. It will only get in the way. The metal grill will only get in the way. Leave that space open and your air will flow freely.

And while you are at it cut out the grill leading to the San Ace. Again, it will greatly improve airflow.

BTW - what happened to that overhead shot? It was great for making things clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts