Overclock.net banner

Which of the following would you get if you have $600 bucks?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been debating between two things I want to do. I got to save the money for an extra zotac gtx480 amp. The question is should I do it? Is it worth it? I've done tons of research and I found all the benchmarks, pro's and con's.

So, would you guys run a a gtx480 sli set up or would you do something else with the moneyz?

On the other hand, I was thinking that I could also custom build a liquid cooling system(GPU, CPU, MOBO)

Whatcha guys think?

Thanks!

Ariel

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Do you want more gaming performance?

Or do you want a really fun project?

That's all you have to ask yourself.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsan
View Post

Do you want more gaming performance?

Or do you want a really fun project?

That's all you have to ask yourself.

Thanks for the reply, and good points. I want more gaming performance and deal with a fun project as well LOL sucks not having enough funds to go into both ways. Eventually, I might end up getting both at the long run, but at this point I have no budget for both. sooo confused about which would be worth it at this point of my build.

BTW, I have not overclocked any components in my new build yet. Waiting to get get the appropriate cooling system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone
View Post

**** yeah sli that ****

LOL.. thanks!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I would get a watercooling loop first. That way you will be able to overvolt the card and get a really nice OC.

You can always add a second card later. Especially once the ATI 6000's drop because the 480's price should drop quite considerably so you could get a watercooling loop and get another 480 around Christmas time?

·
Fortnite Fanatic
2,906 Posts
I just got done playing Metro full tilt 3D on Sparkle Calibre's in SLI. Go for the ZOTAC AMP SLI, **** Yeah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vengeance47
View Post

That way you will be able to overvolt the card and get a really nice OC.

unless he has 3 Alienware 3D monitors overclocking AMP 480's in SLI is completely unnecessary. They run so cool they don't need water.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hmm what if you saved a little more.

Built a budget cpu loop.

Keep the gpus AIR, cause GPU blocks are gonna cost you a pretty penny. Why get gtx480 with aftermarket cooler and not use it? serious waste of money, they will overclock damn skippy on air.

And have your cake and eat it.

You don't need to cool mobo just fyi.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11..._Hot_Item.html

^has everything you need.

Rasa Black (Acetal) CPU Waterblock
Socket 775, 1366 and 1154 Backplates
Socket AM2 and AM3 mounting kit
X2O 750 12V Pump/Reservoir
5mm Blue LED with 4Pin Molex
RS240 Radiator
80mm to 120mm Radiator brackets
Low Noise 1700rpm 120mm Fan x2
120mm Fan Grill x2
2 Meters of Clear 7/16"ID Hose
G1/4" to 1/2" barbs x6
Thermal Paste

Pump is enough for CPU loop, radiator could be better but is good enough, price for all of it together like that is a STEAL.

·
Registered
536 Posts
sli because if you want another 480 now youll want it later and youll have to add in the cost of a water block...

so sli and then wait a bit and add a cpu only loop that could handle 2 480s down the road, add in the gpu blocks if and when you want to spend the extra $$$

EDIT: damn it luvsan you beat me to it

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckycheeze
View Post

EDIT: damn it luvsan you beat me to it

It's about time.... I'm sick and tired of it happening to me lol.....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nothing wrong with putting your cards under water if you have the cash, tho is a waste of money to use the AMPs to do that when you paid already about £100 more for those zalman that the AMPs come with.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thinking now to go towards the Zotac SLI set up and later on add a CPU/northbridge loop. In terms of watercooling the gpu's, I think I'll keep it air for now. I just tried running my g at 830/4100/1660 set with auto fan speed, and evem higher specs; it worked fine at playing around with fan speed. The temps I reach are not higher than 48*(firestorm readings).

Thanks everyone for the tips!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts