Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i am not sure if this is the right section to post this but i need your help. I have an asus g72, after installing DA2 and trying to run it, my laptop froze. I restarted the computer but got stuck at the windows logo. i tried safe mode but the same thing happened.
I think i have restarted it enough that the computer automatically goes into repair mode when i boot it up, which means i can get past the windows logo now but i get stuck at a grayish screen, i can see my mouse and move it but there is nothing to click on. just my mouse and the screen. i believe this is the screen where i am suppose to get the option to restore my computer to factory setting. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Does it have the windows backup on a separate partition or do you have an install disc? If you have a disc then insert that and try run repair from there.

You might need to go into the bios and change the boot order to the DVD drive first and hard drive second so it gives you the option to load the disk.

Also, this may sound stupid, but how long have you left it at the greyish screen? Sometimes it can take ages for the repair/install menu to appear, it might be a longshot but leave it on for an hour and see what happens.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a separate partition and a recovery disk. I have tried both methods, same results. I will take your advice and let it set for an hour( max time i have let it idle at the grey screen was 20 min i believe). thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hmm that is very strange. So, explain exactly what happens on the screen. Does it post fine, then you see a windows logo and then it goes to this grey screen? Perhaps a video of what its doing could help.

Other than that, is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sorry,i feel asleep last night. When i start the computer, depending on how i boot it (from the recovery CD, or the partition, last know good config, system restore...etc,) it will go through the normal process, i.e, loading windows or loading windows files..etc, the end results is, no matter what option i pick, i end up at the grey screen, i will try to post a vid.

·
Registered
889 Posts
looks like you have a device failure in sata 1 according to your boot screen did you try doing what it said and pressing f1??

Edit: looks like hard drive error according to your screen

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nothing happens when i press f1, i doubt it is the sata, i have had that sata err or screen for about 4 months now.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
OK, well I would try resetting the CMOS and see what that does, it has seemed to fix strange problems for me in the past so you never know. That said, I'm not sure how you get to the battery on a laptop, perhaps someone else could advise here?

Maybe try a different repair disc too if you can get your hands on one.

Sorry I can't offer more help, this is something I've never seen happen before!!

Edit: Also make sure nothing is plugged into the laptop other than the power, could be something in usb interfering with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
back up all your files and reinstall your operating system (reinstall windows) and all problems should be fixed.

If not, try reseating the RAM (take it out and out it back in and make sure it is snug)
If that does not work, try testing a new hard drive.
If that does not work, then it might be a problem with your motherboard. You can usually buy a new motherboard for $100 to $200.

Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by overclockerr
View Post

back up all your files and reinstall your operating system (reinstall windows) and all problems should be fixed.

Trouble is, the windows install/repair menu does not load, this is where is freezes I think :\\

1 - 15 of 15 Posts