Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fighting the dominator pro 437 TEC. It has diced a 2.8e and I think may have killed my 3.0e that I just bought. My system when I first booted up reported 91 degrees celcius on the CPU. I quickly shut it down and reseated the TEC. From that point on it would post if I turned off the TEC and turn it on during post to keep the temps around 35-45. The system will not post if the temps are below 28 and in fact the system crashes around that temp. Not to mention random agp error and cpu reports. Does this sound like my board or the CPU? I would love to test the CPUs but I don't have another board to use. This has been an expensive mistake so far and customer service has proven to be horrid. I hope someone can help salvage my situation.

Thanks in advance all

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdc30va

I have been fighting the dominator pro 437 TEC. It has diced a 2.8e and I think may have killed my 3.0e that I just bought. My system when I first booted up reported 91 degrees celcius on the CPU. I quickly shut it down and reseated the TEC. From that point on it would post if I turned off the TEC and turn it on during post to keep the temps around 35-45. The system will not post if the temps are below 28 and in fact the system crashes around that temp. Not to mention random agp error and cpu reports. Does this sound like my board or the CPU? I would love to test the CPUs but I don't have another board to use. This has been an expensive mistake so far and customer service has proven to be horrid. I hope someone can help salvage my situation.

Thanks in advance all

have ya tried a bios reset and loading defaults from there you say reseated the cpu did ya apply artic after is cpu fan seated properly and the right way see links on site for the right and wrong way to seat a cpu fan is it on backwards? let me know

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEYPTHEKING

have ya tried a bios reset and loading defaults from there you say reseated the cpu did ya apply artic after is cpu fan seated properly and the right way see links on site for the right and wrong way to seat a cpu fan is it on backwards? let me know

Yea I have been through all of this. Thanks for trying though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

the TEC is hooked to its own psus right?

Yes it is... I think the board got damaged during the install or something. I will know by Wed. when my new board comes in and I can test the CPUs to see if they really are diced.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
How did you proof against condensation? Have you test the PSU's w/ a multimeter/voltmeter to ensure they are functioning properly? Have you tried loosening the mounting? I recently ran into a problem wherein the mounting was too tight (assumedly, causing the mobo to flex too much), and it would not even POST until I loosened the mounting a little bit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity
How did you proof against condensation? Have you test the PSU's w/ a multimeter/voltmeter to ensure they are functioning properly? Have you tried loosening the mounting? I recently ran into a problem wherein the mounting was too tight (assumedly, causing the mobo to flex too much), and it would not even POST until I loosened the mounting a little bit.

I used the neoprene stuff and dielectric grease to waterproof.

I guess I could test the PSU although it is the same one I have been using for 6-8 months. Maybe I will try to boot up with a spare I have.

I will try to switch everything out to my old CPU fan tonight and see if that improves anything.

Thanks for the ideas!

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Have you pulled the cooling unit completely yet? Check for water...possibly a leak in the block. What PSU are you using? When condensation proofing, did you put grease in the CPU socket?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Have you pulled the cooling unit completely yet? Check for water...possibly a leak in the block. What PSU are you using? When condensation proofing, did you put grease in the CPU socket?
Yea it has been pulled and no there has been no condensation on the board. The PSU for the system is a 450 watt unit that is barely 8 months old and middle of the road. Yes the instructions had me fill the socket pins with grease (This kind of bothered me). Since then I have had the problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just checking in...

As it turns out my board went bad... The good news is it is under warranty...ha-ha. Too bad I already ordered another one. Oh well I needed another gaming machine for the bedroom anyway! Thanks for trying to help all.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
You said the system PSU is a 450 watter....what are you powering the DP with (out of curiousity)?

btw, I've had problems in the past, with too much dielectric grease in the pinholes. I usually just wipe my greasy fingers off on the pinholes, after proofing all around and in the socket. I find that this gives just enough proofing on the holes, without preventing the CPU from seat properly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

You said the system PSU is a 450 watter....what are you powering the DP with (out of curiousity)?

btw, I've had problems in the past, with too much dielectric grease in the pinholes. I usually just wipe my greasy fingers off on the pinholes, after proofing all around and in the socket. I find that this gives just enough proofing on the holes, without preventing the CPU from seat properly.

I ended up buying two of those 17.00 550 watt PSUs posted in the build your own pelt PSU post. Right now I only have one running the DP, though next week I will have both units running it.

I was wondering if maybe that had been an issue for anyone. I will take your advice and go a little lighter than recommended.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
With only one of those PSU's hooked up, the TEC is only drawing ~211w. That is probably worse than bad air cooling, and most likely the TEC is ending up heating the CPU, with that minimal amount of cooling potential.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

With only one of those PSU's hooked up, the TEC is only drawing ~211w. That is probably worse than bad air cooling, and most likely the TEC is ending up heating the CPU, with that minimal amount of cooling potential.

Then you will be surprised to read it was cooling my 3.0 OCed to 3.87 to under 28 degrees. I am however excited to see what it can do when powered properly and am now fully aware that it was under powered. I would finish this up over the weekend but my bigscreen died last week shortly after my MB did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts