Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just upgraded my old p4 1.8 gig p4 to a 2.8 (powerleap upgrade from hell) but its running at like about 70 degrees idle, when i try benchmarking software it goes up to about 80-85 and it starts to really slow down. I used the heatsink from the upgrade, but i had to jimmy it by bending the heatsink to be able to stick the 4 screws in it. It cooled down a little bit, but not a whole lot. Im trying to find a new heatsink for the computer but i think with a dell (still need new case and mombo, everything else is new), but i never have luck finding somethin for under 100 bucks (mabye then i should get a new one, tiger direct has a case for 39 (i dont need anything fancy im in the process of buildin my own. Newegg had a socket 478 for 50 bucks, its all i need as long as its oc'able and has a normal socket not like the dell where i need a normal heatsink not the one you get, i just screwed the fan off the heatsink off the powerleap.

·
Overclockiit
3,419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madkat

i just upgraded my old p4 1.8 gig p4 to a 2.8 (powerleap upgrade from hell) but its running at like about 70 degrees idle, when i try benchmarking software it goes up to about 80-85 and it starts to really slow down. I used the heatsink from the upgrade, but i had to jimmy it by bending the heatsink to be able to stick the 4 screws in it. It cooled down a little bit, but not a whole lot. Im trying to find a new heatsink for the computer but i think with a dell (still need new case and mombo, everything else is new), but i never have luck finding somethin for under 100 bucks (mabye then i should get a new one, tiger direct has a case for 39 (i dont need anything fancy im in the process of buildin my own. Newegg had a socket 478 for 50 bucks, its all i need as long as its oc'able and has a normal socket not like the dell where i need a normal heatsink not the one you get, i just screwed the fan off the heatsink off the powerleap.

How are you Overclocked so high with an Intel motherBoard?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by |2A|N

How are you Overclocked so high with an Intel motherBoard?

Yeah thre's no way to oc cpu via bios with intel mobo.
The only thing you can do is to change ram latencies, but not core speed.

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, i have 2 rigs, ones a custom, ones a dell thats almost completely redone with my parts, i need 166 more and its a totally custom rig (ram mombo and case) But, ill have to wait till christmas. But, it works, i had it at 4.1 but it kept crashing and hit about 100 degrees.. so down it went to stable.. so i get a new MSI mombo.. so ill be good and some oz ram.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
you OCd your 1.8 to 2.8????
what are you cooling it with???
Dont ever let your proc reach 100°C !!!!!! (thats 212°f)!!!!!
i wouldnt recoment running it higher than 50°c !!!! (thats 122°f)

So if you want that huge a leap Look into either Watercooling or more advanced
ways of cooling like TEC or Phase change

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

you OCd your 1.8 to 2.8????
what are you cooling it with???
Dont ever let your proc reach 100°C !!!!!! (thats 212°f)!!!!!
i wouldnt recoment running it higher than 50°c !!!! (thats 122°f)

So if you want that huge a leap Look into either Watercooling or more advanced
ways of cooling like TEC or Phase change

1. Its a new processor
2. 2 fans, 2 120mm
3. i know its bad lol i have to keep the thing off after like an hour to cool off.
3. im gettin a new heatsink, should cool it down, i have an 80 mm screwed on top of a passive heatsink, it cooled down to about 85-90.. is that a tad bit safer?

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madkat

1. Its a new processor
2. 2 fans, 2 120mm
3. i know its bad lol i have to keep the thing off after like an hour to cool off.
3. im gettin a new heatsink, should cool it down, i have an 80 mm screwed on top of a passive heatsink, it cooled down to about 85-90.. is that a tad bit safer?

Well did you buy a retail version or a cpu only kit??
the intell HSF combo should keep it at around 120°f max for northwood
130°f max for prescott

some good aftermarket coolers are
thermaltake tower112 with some tornadoes blowing on it
thermalright sp-94 xp-90 xp-120

be back in like 15 minutes actually have to work for a few minutes LoL

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

Well did you buy a retail version or a cpu only kit??
the intell HSF combo should keep it at around 120°f max for northwood
130°f max for prescott

some good aftermarket coolers are
thermaltake tower112 with some tornadoes blowing on it
thermalright sp-94 xp-90 xp-120

be back in like 15 minutes actually have to work for a few minutes LoL

retail verson. it doesnt work, i had to jimmy it with the old heatsink,(took fan off and screwed it in the old one, works the same) Ive looked at the thermalright xp-120

Thanks spook

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive settled on: (damn budget)

XClio-JR CS428BK
ASRock P4V88 Raid W/ VIA Pt880 chipset
Sparkle 300 watt power supply
and Corsair Value Select 184 PinCorsair 256MB DDR PC-3200

Over clocking potential?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts