Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i wanna install windows xp, i have the disk but what do i do? do i follow the onscreen instructions and thats it ? i heard that you have to write down all the names of the integrated devices on your motherboard first so you can choose which drivers to install on setup.....please help me because im a total idiot

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Are you doing a reformat or upgrade from a dif. version?

And no you shouldnt have to worry about all of the device drivers. But it depends on your hardware...

·
Registered
604 Posts
The drivers automatically load and if they don't you'll be asked for them when you finally get into Windows. Windows XP already has the drivers for the most common hardware so the main thing you need is your motherboards chipset drivers and possibly your ethernet. You can check driverguide.com (free sign-up) if you can't find the manufacturer's website.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Then that is fine, drivers should be on your MOBO's driver disk. Why do you want the corporate edition? All you do is follow the on screen instructions, it is really easy!

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Hmm... XP Pro Corp eh, it still needs a cd key if I'm not mistaken. If all you are doing is upgrading to that you should be fine, if you are reloading it you may need the sata controller drivers.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Agreed, it still requires a cd key, but does not require activation. Some things have changed though, and windows will still need to validate the installation if you plan on updating Windows XP Pro.

Try not to discuss Windows XP Corp. any further, we all know where it came from.

·
Administrator
64,453 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by masterofthepuppets99

sata controller drivers. i didnt know that you needed drivers for a hard drive..

Alot of the time you dont because aslong as you have raid disabled in your bios when your installing windows it will display your sata drive in the setup.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
You don't need the drivers for the hard drive, you need them ( sometimes ) for the sata controller that you plug it in to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts