Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend wants to put together a mid-high range computer, and is looking for advice. I'm trying to find a good Intel board in the $120-200 range, with crossfire support and decent OC'ing potential.

I hear good things about the Gigabyte UDP3, but am still unsure about what I should recommend.

Also, I've advised getting a Q6600 or E8x00 chip. He wants to do some CAD work on it at some point, so I've steered him towards what I think might be best for that, but I'm not too experienced with CAD stuff so I'm not sure about the best chip for that.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

EDIT: BTW, today Fry's has a good deal on CPU+MOBO combo which includes Q8200 and this mobo for like $270, no rebates required

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
+1 for the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

i have the UD3R (no crossfire and less RAID options, i didnt need either) and i like it a lot. its really pretty and OC's easily.

as for the CPU, if ur friend wants to do CAD, i recommend going quad-core. get a Q6600. its still the best quad-core for the money.

we run lots of 3D rendering software at school and the computers have Core 2 Duo's in them and it can take 15mins or more to render a single 5mb project on highest detail. larger projects take a rediculous amount of time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts