Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, well, my very close friend, and soon to be girlfriend, informed me several hours ago that she's anorexic(though she refused to phrase it that way). Basically, it's because her parents are very controlling and overprotective, and this was the control she had in her life.

I stayed up with her online until past 5 in the morning. I made her repeat a few things after me, telling her that she had to say it and mean it. I started easy, then got harder. The two major things I had her say were "I care about my health more than my looks", and "I am beautiful". After the second one, she went and got a granola bar to eat for breakfast. It's not much, but it's a start after eating nothing for a few days.

Mostly I'm just ridiculously happy that I helped this much, but I also have a few questions, if anyone has had any experience?

What's the next step I should take, to help her deal with her parents? How should I make sure she doesn't resort back to this again?(She already promised me that she'd keep telling herself that she's beautiful, such as when she looked in the mirror)

Thanks everyone for reading,
I'm still crying joy over this.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well that's tough I went through a similar experence with a chick, she was a cutter, and wha I did was comfort her about the past, make her look tword the future praise her when she didn't cut, and lightly scolded her when she did. When she finally stoped and all we had a GREAT relationship.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had one of them too =/. It got to the point where she was lying to me about it, so I ended up having to check her. But it turned out alright.

Anyway, this one is basically past step one. She's come to realize that she isn't helping her looks by starving herself. The only thing left to do is find a different way for her to take out her discontent due to her parents.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
598 Posts
Well you could take her out to lunch or dinner or breakfest or what ever i mean if she likes you shill come with you and when there make sure she starts eating stuff after a while of doing that im sure shill just automaticly start eating a bit more by herself, also i would suggest maybe helping her buy food and looking at the calories and protien in the food so she knows its good for her and it will not make her fat! Main point of this is to make her feel good about eating and eating right and keeping her healthy.

Well the best of luck to you man ill keep checking back on this thread

·
Registered
824 Posts
Play on this ground *very* carefully.

Very.

If they are deeply into this, it is going to take much more than talks and being nice/reward/punishment.

Wife was an inpatient for 2 months at a special clinic for eating disorders. I heard more than I wanted to in group sessions from a variety of different backgrounds... 16 year olds, 40 year olds.. Compulsive excercisers/annorexic, bulemic, etc... I would highly suggest professional help as well. And like alchoholism and other varient diseases/addictions, it is a lifelong issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts