Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get my P4 over 3.2Ghz its stock speed it 2.8Ghz and it just wont go over 3.2Ghz iv been out and bought a better heatsink and have ton's of fans (sounds like a hoover) iv tryed putting Vcore up to 1.7V and it still crashes within about a min of prime95 iv got the FSB/Dram ratio set to 5:4 so carnt see it being the ram cause its running slower than it should, i really wana get my FSB up two 250mhz giving meh 3.5Ghz and meh ram running at its max speed, and ideas.
Im new at this forum thingy so sorry if i have missed anything out
cheers

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
What kind of PSU is that? With a power hungry VC, all those fans and your average optical drive(s), 400w of generic power is not going to cut it for overclocking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

What kind of PSU is that? With a power hungry VC, all those fans and your average optical drive(s), 400w of generic power is not going to cut it for overclocking.

Its just a norm 400W one came with case from scan so must be a basic one what do you recomend as a decent one

cheers

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingMuppet

cheers mate ill be getting one tomoz ill post back to let ya know how its going

If I were you, I would buy one that has more than 28 amps on the 12V line. The higher, the better. Keep us informed.

• Rep+
Reactions: KingMuppet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi fellas thanks for the help, i went out and bought another PSU (tagen 480W) comps running a lot more stable now, however my cpu still wont go over 3.4Ghz i think thats the max it will do as the voltage has been all the way up to 1.9V, concentrating my efforts on getting some pc4000 ram now instaed of meh pc3200 should be able to get off the 5:4 ratio,

cheers fellas

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingMuppet

Hi fellas thanks for the help, i went out and bought another PSU (tagen 480W) comps running a lot more stable now, however my cpu still wont go over 3.4Ghz i think thats the max it will do as the voltage has been all the way up to 1.9V, concentrating my efforts on getting some pc4000 ram now instaed of meh pc3200 should be able to get off the 5:4 ratio,

cheers fellas

That's a normal max for a 2.8 on air cooling. Going with some faster RAM would definitely be a good investment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts