Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've been looking at the forums here for a couple of months. I decided to register because the time is getting close for me to start my first build. I'm pretty confident that I can do this because I took everything out of my present computer (and had to clean it; it was really dusty) and put it back together. I know absolutely nothing about overclocking but I'd like to learn and maybe overclock the FX-8320. I'll probably be asking lots of question, but if anyone can point me to some good threads, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If you decide to go AMD and are sure you want to try your hand at overclocking, do some research and make sure you buy a motherboard that is up to par for the task. I would also have your mind set that overclocking is a bonus and sometimes mileage varies. With whatever components you buy, make sure you are happy with them out of the box at their stock speed. Then, any performance you gain from overclocking is gravy on top. If you think of it that way, you won't be as upset if by chance you don't get very much gravy.

I would also try your hand at GPU overclocking first. It is much simpler and can be safer. The principles are the same, increase clock speed, dissipate the heat, add some voltage if necessary. With GPU overclocking, you can leave the voltage alone and experiment quite a bit with little risk of doing harm. Once your confidence goes up, you can begin to tinker with adding voltage. Then, apply what you learned to CPU overclocking, which is much more technical.

Good luck and be sure to start a new thread with your potential build before your buy. There are a lot of members who love to council on component choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depauville Kid View Post

If you decide to go AMD and are sure you want to try your hand at overclocking, do some research and make sure you buy a motherboard that is up to par for the task. I would also have your mind set that overclocking is a bonus and sometimes mileage varies. With whatever components you buy, make sure you are happy with them out of the box at their stock speed. Then, any performance you gain from overclocking is gravy on top. If you think of it that way, you won't be as upset if by chance you don't get very much gravy.

I would also try your hand at GPU overclocking first. It is much simpler and can be safer. The principles are the same, increase clock speed, dissipate the heat, add some voltage if necessary. With GPU overclocking, you can leave the voltage alone and experiment quite a bit with little risk of doing harm. Once your confidence goes up, you can begin to tinker with adding voltage. Then, apply what you learned to CPU overclocking, which is much more technical.

Good luck and be sure to start a new thread with your potential build before your buy. There are a lot of members who love to council on component choice.
Thanks Depauville Kid. I never thought of overclocking the GPU.
thumb.gif
Looks like I have some more reading to do. I am a little nervous about overclocking in general so any confidence I can pick up is great. I picked the FX-8350 because it can do everything I need it to out of the box. Overclocking was something I got interested in after reading a lot of threads and watching YouTube videos which mentioned it.

Thanks again for the suggestion and the advice. I'm really looking forward to this build.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts