Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some ideas from a thread on cooking oil : http://www.overclock.net/cooling-exp...tml#post723030
And I figured maybe oil might be a good thing--if a little messy--so I designed an acrylic enclosure that would immerse the PSU, mobo, CPU and cards but keep the drives, optical and hard, in the same case but out of the oil.

The mobo is rotated 90 degrees so that the "back" where the slots are becomes the top allowing easy access to the various I/O ports without the hassle of trying to make everything oil-proof--which would be accomplished by keeping the oil level below the "top" of the cards.

Likewise the PSU and Data cabling would surface through a grommet beside the expansion card slots and grommet back into the DVD/Hard Drive enclosure.

The front of the Drive enclosure would have typical 5.25 and 3.5 bays to accomodate and easily change out various drives as well as power and reset buttons, LCD temp gauge, etc.. The back would have a remote plug interface and on off switch for the PSU.

Cabling for the monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc would be accomodated by a notched lid on top that also acts as the space for the data and PSU cable conduit.

Not beeing too swift with image shack stuff please click on the thumbnail for a simple diagram.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
keep the fan on the CPU-HS....itll make a pretty whirlpool and the turbulence will help with thermal conductivity

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:
I'm not sure just how the thermal dynamics of 2 gallons (est) of oil are going to absorb/radiat the heat--I think Ideally the whole enclosure should be made of aluminum or copper with exterior fins (like a powerpole transformer--but that would require some skillfull welding or soldering... and be really really heavy.

I have a feeling fans or pumps won't be required due to convection currents in the cooling medium--(oil in this case) but won't know until I test it out...

Comments welcome

1 - 3 of 3 Posts