Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
PC Enthusiast
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wallossek has shared an OPN code for an unannounced AMD processor as follows: '100-000000059-52_48/35_Y'. Analysis of the code, and taking into account some prior leaks, indicates that the processor has the following qualities:

Zen 3 Vermeer architecture
16 cores, 32 threads
Base clock of 3.5GHz
Boost clock of 4.8GHz
Source - https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/144628-amd-ryzen-9-4950x-claimed-48ghz-boost-16c32t-cpu/

Original article - https://www.igorslab.de/exklusive-informationen-zu-amds-naechter-cpu-generation-ryzen-9-4950x-vermeer-mit-hohem-boost-takt-und-neuen-features-a-la-intel/

Let us first come to the beat, which is what most interests most in the first place. What can be ordered for testing from the relevant companies goes by the name 100-000000059-52_48 / 35_Y. Well, the first part of the OPN is not new, I had already published it, but at the end there is also the classification for the beat. And that's exactly what up to 4.8 GHz boost clock at 3.5 GHz base clock for all 16 cores looks quite good.
The above quote is google translate, I'm not sure if the 4.8GHz boost would be all cores.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
So an extra 200mhz right? If this comes with any kind of more than negligible IPC increase, I might have to sell my Intel stocks.

Wonder if 5ghz+ OC will be possible.

·
Premium Member
5,843 Posts
With a 15% increase in IPC at a 4.8ghz clock speed, single threaded performance will be equivalent to skylake at 5.52ghz, or 8% faster than Rocket Lake at 5.1ghz.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,897 Posts
Oh wow this could be the next performance powerhouse. Looking mighty promising.

·
Still kinda lost
3,343 Posts
If they are still on track we wont wait a lot to confirm the juicy stuff.

·
waifu for lifu
11,132 Posts
With a 15% increase in IPC at a 4.8ghz clock speed, single threaded performance will be equivalent to skylake at 5.52ghz, or 8% faster than Rocket Lake at 5.1ghz.

If true, I'd expect 5ghz on the lower core/thread chips.

·
4k Enthusiast
3,901 Posts
Nail in the coffin for Intel if true, at least among the DIY crowd. Will likely mean that AMD takes the gaming crown. And by all accounts Intel is really nowhere close to having anything new ready to go anytime within the next couple years.

·
Premium Member
10,857 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Already some crazy speculation in this thread.

AMDs current processors boost capabilities are pushed to the point max boost is only seen for ms under light load. Why would this be different on the next generation? Currently the 3950X has the highest boost now matched by the 3800XT and 3900XT. If the silicon can do 5GHz the 4950X would have its boost specced there and it would only get to 5GHz for extremely short duration light loads. If AMD has the technology and knowledge to get every last MHz of boost of the the chips why would they hold back and not use that on the next generation?

I think the only hope here for higher clocks is that the engineering sample is clocked lower because it's immature silicon.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,334 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Nail in the coffin for Intel if true, at least among the DIY crowd. Will likely mean that AMD takes the gaming crown. And by all accounts Intel is really nowhere close to having anything new ready to go anytime within the next couple years.
They will need to improve the memorylatency with 70-80% to be on par with Intel in gaming too. I believe when I see it ;) I hope they will, but I will not hold my breath :p

·
Registered
792 Posts

·
I <3 narcissists
6,223 Posts
I wonder if the 8 core models will get a similar boost, probably not. I am still not at all interested in a 16 core chip.

·
WaterCooler
3,486 Posts
Interesting. Will wait and see what we actually get, but looking forward to Zen 3 improvements and a chance to upgrade. Several years ago, never thought I'd be going back to an AMD system again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
If true, I'd expect 5ghz on the lower core/thread chips.
It seems these AMD chips don't work that way, the higher sku chips are the ones with higher potential frequency and the lower sku are lower frequency. If a 4950x could boost 4.8ghz a 4800x will not boost higher than the 4950x.

Already some crazy speculation in this thread.

AMDs current processors boost capabilities are pushed to the point max boost is only seen for ms under light load. Why would this be different on the next generation? Currently the 3950X has the highest boost now matched by the 3800XT and 3900XT. If the silicon can do 5GHz the 4950X would have its boost specced there and it would only get to 5GHz for extremely short duration light loads. If AMD has the technology and knowledge to get every last MHz of boost of the the chips why would they hold back and not use that on the next generation?

I think the only hope here for higher clocks is that the engineering sample is clocked lower because it's immature silicon.
This is what I am thinking. Great advertised clock speeds, they exist, just quicker than you can see. Will not see loads with these frequencies for multi core and on single core it will be for a very short period. It's a bit disappointing seeing an advertised clock speed and then realizing the chip will run at that speed for a single digit percentage of its lifetime.

·
4k Enthusiast
3,901 Posts
It's amazing to me that you or anyone else believes Intel's roadmaps for process nodes smaller than 14nm+++++++++++++

After five years, 10nm and smaller from Intel is vaporware for desktops until there's actually a purchasable product on the shelf. They've been putting out roadmaps promising 10nm products "next year" for like the past 5 years.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,897 Posts
PBO varies speed depending on a number of factors, one of them being current temperature. Sounds to me like nowarranty's CPU was running a bit hot and downclocking because of it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Things may not scale as much we would want but it seems as far as such

Intel is stuck the next 3 years.
basically any other company would have been bought with the epic die failure

·
sudo apt install sl
7,334 Posts
It's amazing to me that you or anyone else believes Intel's roadmaps for process nodes smaller than 14nm+++++++++++++

After five years, 10nm and smaller from Intel is vaporware for desktops until there's actually a purchasable product on the shelf. They've been putting out roadmaps promising 10nm products "next year" for like the past 5 years.
They haven't announced any further delays with their 10nm chips, their Tiger Lake mobile chips clock pretty high. They're releasing server chips as well and announced desktop chips next year based off of Golden Cove cores.

Things may not scale as much we would want but it seems as far as such

Intel is stuck the next 3 years.
basically any other company would have been bought with the epic die failure
How are they stuck for the next 3 years? Alder Lake for desktop will be out H2 of 2021. This was the huge chip Jim Keller was working on and mentioned it will be significantly larger than Sunny Cove cores.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Some very impressive silicon, enthusiasts and gamers will be in great shape if IPC increases hold true.

I think I’ll sit out this generation and wait for 5000 chips with DDR 5, but this definitely bodes well for those too.

Nice to see Intel’s PR people at work in here telling us it won’t matter and how great their products launching in 4 years on broken processes are.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts