Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

A standalone Half-Life expansion designed as the sequel to Half-Life: Opposing Force is now available to pre-order on Steam. The game, which picks up where Gearbox's Half-Life 2 story left off, passed both the community voted 'Greenlight' and full Valve approval and will be released in February.

Prospekt is a fan-made mod which has received "official Valve approval for Half-life 2 license and assets". The sole developer, Richard Seabrook, felt that Half-Life: Opposing Force was a story that needed further development and this game lets you play on as soldier Adrian Shepard. As such, the game begins in the Nova Prospekt prison in the Half-Life universe...
This looks pretty interesting, surprised valve approved this. Not just a mod either, being released as a standalone game like Black Mesa was.

You can save 10% now by pre-ordering on STEAM

Source: http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/89816-fan-made-half-life-expansion-prospekt-hit-steam-feb/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

·
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.
1,278 Posts
Kind of reminds me of Gunman: Chronicles, that was essentially a valve backed mod, though not half-life related..this is a bit more 'cannon' I guess.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Been forever since I played Oppforce, but if I remember right you were Adrian, part of the marine company trying to suppress what happened at Black Mesa, but then ultimately went your own way vs. just being one of the 'bad guy' grunts?

I seem to remember seeing some of the events that happened at the same time Freeman was making his way out of Black Mesa but from a different POV (you saw some of the consequences of Freeman's action in the distance the same way he always saw the G-man...?)

So how do they end up with Shepard at Nova Prospect, if Gordon was put in some sort of suspended animation for the decade or so between the events of HL1 and HL2? Seems like a stretch.

Regardless, willing to give it a shot. Especially if, like BM, they re-do the original Oppforce in the new engine as a 'prequel'. But that might be too much to hope for.

Also makes me wonder how they square the different aliens that showed up in the Oppforce stuff that didn't fit along with HL1 and HL2's evolution of them (the Vortigaunt slaves and soldiers, headcrabs and zombies...)

·
Bundling Bundler
1,881 Posts
At the end of Opposing Force, basically the same thing happens to Sheppard as what happens to Freeman. G-Man basically contracts the character for future services.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ah, I'd forgotten the ending. Thanks. Apparently I do need a replay. (Unless my dream of getting it all in the same updated engine is possible, in which case I"d wait....)

Still a tiny bit pissed at the BM guys for releasing everything-but-Xen, then again that was all free at the time. Hard to be that crabby about it. Hoping the final product comes in time for me to magically play thru HL - BM, then HL2, Ep1, Ep2, and "poof" HL3 gets released unexpectedly on Steam right as I finish Ep2.

Give me a break already. Some people dream of winning the lottery. Similar odds....

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Im buying it looks promising

·
Bundling Bundler
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrski View Post

Give me a break already. Some people dream of winning the lottery. Similar odds....
I would take HL3 over the lottery any day of the week. Sure.... I'd be rich, but I still wouldn't be able to buy HL3 so what's the point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts