Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Graphics doyen Jon Peddie noted that graphics shipments plummeted in Q4 2008. NVIDIA's not having too great a time of it and ATI's brought out no new desktop GPUs at CeBIT 2009.

Sapphire, ATI's largest board partner, has been looking further afield in the name of diversification, and along with the nice-looking digital photo-frames you can now buy that are adorned with the company logo, Sapphire is now branching out into selling PSUs.

Shown above is the Sapphire FirePSU 625W (unfortunate name for a PSU, right?). This PSU is already in the market, of course, and its introduction has more to do with how FireGL cards are bundled in APAC region than anything else. Now, Sapphire will be bringing the FirePSU in larger-capacity models, with 1,050W and 1,250W on the cards.

Based ostensibly on designs by Enermax, Sapphire reckons the innards have been tweaked to better handle the load imposed by high-power graphics cards. No word on pricing just yet, but expect them to cost a touch more than the equivalent Enermax offerings. Let's hope the 1,050W isn't called Sapphire onFirePSU.

Source

Well if they are the Enermax offerings they'll be pretty good, but most likely a bit pricey.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
question is who makes it for them?

edit: nvm just saw enermax

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
priced way to high. This costs way more than the corsair 850w, w t f?!

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler View Post
180 bucks for 50a

Just think how many more frames per second you will get! I am joking you tard-nuggets!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Ha.... gotta wait until EVGA comes out with their PSUs later this year.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Ha.... gotta wait until EVGA comes out with their PSUs later this year.

But Corsair and Antec already make great PSU's

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
looks good, but as others have said the price could be too high

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

Put me down for 2

PSU step up anyone

I thought you hated EVGA after the massive RMA issues?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewlett-Packard
View Post

But Corsair and Antec already make great PSU's

Corsair and Antec don't make PSUs. Seasonic, Delta, and CWT do for them.

There's a "new" DC-DC design that is becoming popular which I know Corsair models don't use yet. This Sapphire unit looks to be a rebrand of the Enermax Eco line which is a DC-DC design.

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

View Post

There's a "new" DC-DC design that is becoming popular which I know Corsair models don't use yet. This Sapphire unit looks to be a rebrand of the Enermax Eco line which is a DC-DC design.

No only the guy named Mike, he's a putz.
So what's the word on the PSU's, in house or what?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

No only the guy named Mike, he's a putz.
So what's the word on the PSU's, in house or what?

Probably outsourced design.... The rumors have them over 1000w with both a modular and non-modular versions.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

View Post

so pardon my ignorance, but what is dc-dc and why is it better? Also whats the word in evga psus (release date wise)?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Anything less than 1kw?

Rumor currently = No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varjo
View Post

so pardon my ignorance, but what is dc-dc and why is it better? Also whats the word in evga psus (release date wise)?

In the new design, ALL of the power gets converted to a single +12v rail. Then a secondary step converts some of this +12v to the +3.3v and +5v (hence, the DC-DC). The old design split the power to the +12v and +3.3/+5v near the "beginning". This new design makes sense since almost all the power draw is on the +12v rail. It leads to more efficient PSUs and allows for more available current on +12v.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts